Author Topic: Brass Casting “Holes”  (Read 1356 times)

Offline StevenV

Brass Casting “Holes”
« on: August 05, 2020, 02:19:05 AM »

Any thoughts on filling in “ holes” in brass castings?   Steve

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Re: Brass Casting “Holes”
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 03:21:20 AM »
I'd get some brass pin stock that I could stick in there fairly well, and silver solder (meaning silver solder, not tin with a little bit of silver in it) them in.

That said, I'd be pretty leery of that casting.  Those are big weird holes, and it may be that the voids continue on inside somewhere. 

Use plenty of flux, though, and your silver solder should theoretically run in and pretty well fill out any voids... theoretically.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:24:38 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 04:04:28 AM »
Those holes are evidence of excess shrinkage with a void and porosity beneath the surface. Strength of the casting will be negatively impacted in those areas and I doubt braze can be drawn into the void to restore integrity. The cause of this defect is pouring the molten brass at too high a temperature. I would try the silver soldered pin, what do you have to lose and there is the experience to gain.

Offline Goo

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:53:27 AM »
I  have fixed these by grinding  out the voids and filling with brazing rod it takes practice and you have to be good with a torch but  you can get passable results.     But really it's best to avoid trying to fix bad castings just exchange it for a good  one if you can.   Considering all the expense and work to build a longrifle do you really want a cobbled repaired part on a gun that will out live you when it's handed down?
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
If that's one of mine let me know and I'll send you another. If I were going to use it I'd clean the holes out and fill with soft solder or soft solder in a brass patch. No reason to go crazy with high heat.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline StevenV

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 09:29:31 PM »
thanks for the good info I will get it fixed up. Mike thanks for the offer , no it is not one of yours . When are you expecting your inventory to increase , I would like to get some of your castings  ?????       Steve

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 12:51:30 AM »
thanks for the good info I will get it fixed up. Mike thanks for the offer , no it is not one of yours . When are you expecting your inventory to increase , I would like to get some of your castings  ?????       Steve
I was just at the foundry today adding some more stuff to the run. They promised me they would run my stuff the week before the 22nd of August.  They are real busy at the moment and i'm small potatoes.... :P I'll have lots of stuff I have never had before....I don't remember what though. ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 06:05:48 PM »
That casting was not poured correctly.  Nasty shrink holes.  I'd return it and get another.

Jim