Author Topic: 62 velocity  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Dennis Daigger

62 velocity
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »
Anyone know what a 320 grain patched round ball and 105 grains of Goex FFG velocity might be? There must be a black powder calculator somewhere but I haven't been able to find one.
Thanks,
Dennis

Offline bob in the woods

Re: 62 velocity
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 07:34:44 PM »
What length of barrel ?  Rifled or smoothbore ?

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
Too many variables for a generality, but it will be enough for anything you want to hunt.  Several years ago I killed two deer with one shot(not on purpose) with 85gr. 2F in my .62 rifle.
Brice Stultz

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 08:51:36 PM »
I plan on getting my .62 Carolina Trade Gun/46" out tomorrow for a video on shot patterns with 1f, 2f, 3f, so I could grab a few round balls and the chronograph if you'd like....

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 09:36:27 PM »
I plan on getting my .62 Carolina Trade Gun/46" out tomorrow for a video on shot patterns with 1f, 2f, 3f, so I could grab a few round balls and the chronograph if you'd like....

This would be so very much appreciated I have been wondering about the same question myself with my recent quest for an accurate load in my 20 gauge smoothbore that is 65 grains or less. My usual load is with 85 grains, but, turns out 65 of 3f is just as accurate. No way for me to chrono my black powder loads.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 10:00:08 PM »
Ok, it's on the list then for tomorrow. Chrono for .62 Goex 2f @ 65, 75, 85, 95, 105. And to make a video of it i'll do patched vs. Tow as well. Any other thoughts, let me know.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 10:05:34 PM »
According to GOEX data, a 315 grain .58 caliber concial in a musket with 70 grains of powder should get about 960 feet per second at the muzzle. A 293 grain round ball in a .58 rifle with 70 grains of powder should get 1050 at the muzzle.
Over 100 grains of powder should be over 1100 fps in your .62 I would think..... ;)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 10:11:50 PM »
That sounds in the right ballpark..... ;)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 10:23:56 PM »
Bob, work up a load for my 10-bore double while you are at it.  Gives me an almost instant 2nd shot at a deer (or badly behaving bear!).
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 10:27:16 PM »
Bob, work up a load for my 10-bore double while you are at it.  Gives me an almost instant 2nd shot at a deer (or badly behaving bear!).

Send it on over. I'd be happy to.  ;)

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 11:16:35 PM »
Got to re-build that 170 year (or some) old stock!  Already rebuilt the locks, but the stock was just too far gone.  Got a great piece of black walnut from Ron Scott - but I am in the midst of moving from a cramped and hot little apartment and into a nice spacious house, complete with a beautiful shop area about 20' x 24'.  Lots of room for3 or 4 workbenches, plenty of 20-amp outlets.  Does need better overhead lighting, but it does have both A/C and gas furnace heater.
Moving my gigantor bench drill press yesterday has about ruined my already decrepit legs and lower back.  I did have help from my church brothers, greatly appreciated.  Couple more days should see me returning to gun work.
When it is ready, I'll be glad to bring that old 10-bore down to your range, see how straight it shoots.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 12:07:03 AM »
Anyone know what a 320 grain patched round ball and 105 grains of Goex FFG velocity might be? There must be a black powder calculator somewhere but I haven't been able to find one.
Thanks,
Dennis

My .61's weigh 324. I hope that's close enough. If not i can cull a few Im sure.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 12:36:17 AM »
My records are a bit incomplete but maybe this will help.  100 grains of 2F in my 20ga gave just under 1300 fps.  With 75 grns of 3F velocity averaged around 1340 fps.  This was with a 320 grn prb.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 07:55:11 AM »
With my October Country Light American Sporting Rifle, I did some chrono work several years ago.  The barrel was 32" long, tapered 1 1/8 to 1"  and it was rifled at 1:104.  My plinking load was 135 grains of GOEX Ffg, I have lost the paper work on the readings, but I do recall the top readings.  I was testing the difference between GOEX Ffg and Pyrodex Select.
At 200 grains of Ffg I got around 1,980 fps with a .610 round ball in Ox Yoke .015 cotton patching on top of a 20 gauge lubricated cushion wad.
Using the same basic loading but with 200 grains of Pyrodex Select, I got 2,004 fps.
Frankly, I was really surprised to get faster velocity with the Pyrodex, but that phenomenon pretty much played out with all my slow twist, big bore rifles, right up to my 8 bore double rifle.  My guess is that the wider the bore, the more efficient Pyrodex is.  Even with RWS musket cap ignition, hang fires were consistent.
Frankly, I wouldn't advise anyone to try to duplicate this experiment.  The only reason I am discussing this right now is to illustrate the amazing performance that can be achieved with a .62 caliber rifle.

John (Bigsmoke)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 04:04:22 AM »
So, here's the promised video. (Hanshi, I saw close to what you describe)

Velocities for Goex 2f @ 65g, 75g, 85g, 95g, and 105g. I compared Swiss 2f 105g to the Goex 105g load and also threw in Cards and tow to contrast the .61/.010 patched ball combo I shot.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:18:11 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline Frank

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2020, 04:52:29 PM »
Ok, it's on the list then for tomorrow. Chrono for .62 Goex 2f @ 65, 75, 85, 95, 105. And to make a video of it i'll do patched vs. Tow as well. Any other thoughts, let me know.

A little off topic Bob, but patiently waiting as others for Flintlock Squirrel Rifle part 3. Mainly the coning part. Was expecting it last month.

Thanks

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 05:02:16 PM »
It got bumped due to rain last week. I have some guys down from KY this today for some shooting, so it's scheduled for tomorrow or Monday. There'll be two or three videos still on the subject. Finishing the load dev, coning, and reshooting to check from precision degradation. That rifle is scheduled for a rebarrel to .45 since I bought the Duprey Soddy and my wife finds it a bit heavy in it's current configuration. Sorry for the delay but it's coming soon.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 07:03:12 PM »
Excellent, thank you.
So for the 1st 10 grain bump up we got an increase of 104 fps, and an increase of momentum (IDPA power factor) of 35,658. Another bump of 10 grains gained 63fps over the last charge and 167fps over the starting load, momentum increased 21,546 over the last load and 57,114 over the starting load. The next gain is 68fps over the last charge and the next gains another 94fps.  I used the pure lead ball weight of 342 grains for the power factor calculation.
Interesting that there is such a significant jump between 65grains and 75 grains then the differences, in velocity, are less significant.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
Excellent video, Bob.  And that's what I call good shooting/accuracy with such a wide range of powder grades.  Those velocities certainly were in the ballpark with my tests.  The patched 105 grain velocities were eye opening, especially with Swiss.  Thanks for the video.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2020, 12:40:44 AM »
Tks Bob- well done.
My 24" bl. Musketoon, with .575" ball of 285gr. and .021" patch, with 75gr. 2F GOEX gave me 1,308fps
and 3" for 5 shots at 100 yards with the battle sights. They are not very far apart.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2020, 06:51:03 PM »
Bob,
I've been on the Denali Highway and out of cell coverage so am just seeing the responses.

Super video and a big thanks.  I had not imagined that the calculator I got pointed to would be you and actually much better I think.  My rifle barrel is 32" long but for my purposes using a 1500 fps velocity will probably work fine for bullet drop at various ranges.

I have a chronograph but thought that the patch and powder particles would damage it.  How far did you place it in front of the muzzle?  Anyway thanks again, great information.
Dennis

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
Dennis, I have chronographed BP rifles for 40 years and have yet to damage the chronographs with a black powder rifle.
I have however, damaged a couple with modern $#@*.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
Bob,
I've been on the Denali Highway and out of cell coverage so am just seeing the responses.

Super video and a big thanks.  I had not imagined that the calculator I got pointed to would be you and actually much better I think.  My rifle barrel is 32" long but for my purposes using a 1500 fps velocity will probably work fine for bullet drop at various ranges.

I have a chronograph but thought that the patch and powder particles would damage it.  How far did you place it in front of the muzzle?  Anyway thanks again, great information.
Dennis

Hey Dennis. Glad you like it. I’ve logged some serious miles on the Denali HWY myself. I place it 12 feet from the muzzle per the manufacturers recommendation. Never any more than a few specs of BP residue and never any damage. I’m sure I’ve had a patch or two impact it over the years but they leave no sign.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 10:11:12 PM »
 I guess there’s just something wrong with me. I have no clue what this exercise was supposed to prove, or disprove. O.K. It a .62 cal. Smoothbore with an effective hunting range of a hundred yards. You shot all these different loads at twenty yards, and produce an overall group you could cover with your hat, with no big difference in accuracy. A .62 cal. Ball will harvest most non-dangerous game with the lightest of these charges with one shot. The light charge will also ring a gong, or knock over a silhouette. So, what’s the point?

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 10:28:07 PM »
I guess there’s just something wrong with me. I have no clue what this exercise was supposed to prove, or disprove. O.K. It a .62 cal. Smoothbore with an effective hunting range of a hundred yards. You shot all these different loads at twenty yards, and produce an overall group you could cover with your hat, with no big difference in accuracy. A .62 cal. Ball will harvest most non-dangerous game with the lightest of these charges with one shot. The light charge will also ring a gong, or knock over a silhouette. So, what’s the point?

Hungry Horse

The only thing I can think of that’s wrong with you is you didn’t read the OP. Here's the point: The OP asked if anyone knew what the fps might be for 105g of Goex and a patched .61 rb. I made a video of what my chronograph showed, along with the FPS curve from 65g. Now, you’re all caught up. Also, for the benefit of your future sourpussings, purposefully understating the yardage and overstating the group size to make your disparagings sound better, is tiresome.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 01:27:00 AM by Bob McBride »