Author Topic: 62 velocity  (Read 4272 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: 62 velocity
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 11:48:07 PM »
I usually set my chronograph up at 15' with nary a problem shooting muzzleloaders.  I did it a shade support long ago when a scope mount broke on one of those "brass thingy" contraptions.  the only thing I haven't sent over the screens is shot; makes me a little nervous.

As for what good it does, it's the only way I know to measure ballistic consistency (aka ES and SD).  Those two numbers often coincide with groups at longer range.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2020, 12:26:08 AM »
Bob,
It frosted Thursday night on the Denali so the incredible glory of the highway is near.

With a pretty good idea now what my velocity is I now know that with the sights set 2" high at 50 yards I can pretty much hold dead on for any range out to 100 yards.

Hungry Horse-as you know there is no shortage of folks on this forum that advocate what seems to me to be unnecessarily heavy loads especially in the larger bores and I have no interest in doing that.  I do, however, want to have an adequate load.  I wouldn't shoot a moose or a bear with a round ball who's velocity was less than 1100 fps.  The 105 grain load that I have my sights set for is comfortable to shoot and one I feel confident in hunting with.  That was the reason that I asked the question.  Bob's analysis gave me what I needed plus additional information that is quite useful.  Black powder is not easy to get up here so Goex is what I'm using but it is great to know that Swiss has significantly different performance.
Dennis

Offline old george

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 01:44:56 AM »
Bob,
  Thanks for taking the time to do that video. I found in both interesting and informative. Since most of my hunting is in thick midwest woodlots any of those loading will work on whitetail.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 08:26:17 PM »
  A .62 cal. Ball will harvest most non-dangerous game with the lightest of these charges with one shot. The light charge will also ring a gong, or knock over a silhouette. So, what’s the point?
 Hungry Horse

The point is, as Dennis noted, to use the most accurate load at 100yards.  The lightest of the loads Bob M. used, will not give that accuracy, even though it might kill a moose at the requisite range.
Too, the trajectory is higher for slower loads, which is another factor.
Dennis, 2" high at 50yds. would work for shooting to 100 & maybe a bit more, however set up 3" high at 50 would increase your point blank range by another 20 yards or so. Whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 07:23:08 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V