Author Topic: Anyone recognize this contemporary builder?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline GANGGREEN

Anyone recognize this contemporary builder?
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
My brother purchased a contemporary longrifle at auction at my request.  It's signed by a Warren Martin and I'm curious if anyone knows or knew him.  It's not a fancy rifle by any means, but it's well-built and it shoots straight.   I should mention that it was in southcentral/southeastern PA, no idea if that's where the builder was from or not.  It's no big deal either way, I like it well enough and it shoots very well, I was just curious who the builder was.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 03:19:15 PM by GANGGREEN »

Offline GANGGREEN

Re: Anyone recognize this contemporary builder?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »
It's the rifle on the right in this photo.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:44:56 PM »
Greetings,

I don't recognize the rifle or the name but I found the below 2016 obituary.  The gentleman was a member of a muzzleloading club and did some gunsmithing.

Best Regards,
Kevin

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/961600/David-Warren-Martin

Obituary
David” Warren” Martin, 89, passed away June 10, 2016 at Harrison Crossing Health Campus in
Terre Haute.

Warren was born February 10, 1927 in Terre Haute, the son of the late Orville and Anne (Keeney)
Martin. He graduated from Garfield High School. Warren served his country with the United States Navy during World War II. He worked at Poff's Sporting Goods, as an electrician for Walker Electric and Anaconda Aluminum, a motor rewinder for Empire Electric, and in the maintenance department at the Vigo County School Corporation where he retired in 1992. Warren married the love of his life Shirley Nylec in 1948. She preceded him in death on August 25, 1998. He later married Joan Estes in 1999 and she passed away December 26, 2012.

He was a member of IBEW Local 725, Minglewood Springs Muzzle Loader's Gun Club, and most recently the Brazil Wing Modelers RC Club. He enjoyed raising sheep, fishing, hunting, working on model airplanes, trains and military Jeeps, being a gunsmith, and watching Notre Dame Football.

In addition to his wives and parents, he is preceded in death by his sister, Evelyn (Martin) Moss, niece
Carol Leonardon; daughter Marian (Martin) McCarthy, sons in law Howard “Bill” Berry and Jim White.

Warren is survived by his children, Margaret “Peggy” Berry, Maria Loving (John), Lorna White (fiancée Ed Brett), and David Martin II, 10 grandchildren, 6 great grandchildren; as well as extended family and friends.

Services will be Thursday June 16, 2016 at 7 pm at French Funeral Home with Pastor Mark Grayless officiating. Visitation will be Thursday at 4 pm until time of service. Per the family's wish, cremation will take place after the service. Burial will be at Clearview Cemetery at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the YMCA of Clay County, 225 E Kruzan St., Brazil IN 47834

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »
At any rate that's a nice rifle and a keeper.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 11:42:35 PM »
Sounds like he was a nice man who lived a full life.  My father was a WWII Navy veteran, so it will be that much more special to me.  Thanks for the info.

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 11:44:51 PM »
The rifle has an inscribed name "Slender Girl" on a bone inlay and it's a very good shooter, so I'm glad to have it.