Author Topic: shaders on chunk guns  (Read 5529 times)

Ephraim

shaders on chunk guns
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:57:37 AM »
What do you use to make your shaders ? I made mine out of copper now need to darken them but don't want to paint them any ideas will be welcome. Thanks for your input.
Ephraim

Offline smokinbuck

Re: shaders on chunk guns
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 04:34:00 AM »
Eph,
I have made them out of copper also, but I painted them black. The copper one is a full tube, single piece. Have also made them out of sheet metal and black PVC pipe. There was a fellow at a shoot once that used 2 toilet paper rolls and as I recall shot pretty well.
Mark
Mark

Ephraim

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 05:27:08 AM »
I am doing every thing they say won't work I just want to play I built a Blunt Co. Tenn. rifle in .32 cal with a 3/4 barrel and boys stock light weight it shoots well so far have not tried prone yes been shooting from a bench getting good gropes but can get tighter I think. I think they used small cal's years and they worked I think they still will I am not looking to win top dog just want some meet at the the Alvin York shoot I can be there in about 45 min's thing I will have fun trying to place some good shooters show up there.
Ephraim

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 06:12:10 AM »
I use the 1 1/4" thin wall PVC and paint it flat black.  The paint seems to hold to it good.  I also just use 1/2" copper over my front sight and spray paint it flat black also.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »
Many yrs ago when Barbara stopped using her quilting frame, I cut off part of it that happened to be half round w/a rolled edge.  I laid good ol' duct tape over the edge to soften it's effect on my barrel side flat.  It is stiff but still bendable so I can adjust it for my offhand rifle also when shaders are allowed....  They really make the sights stand out for old eyes.  I don't know if a full length shader would be better olr not.  I do know it would not fit in my shootin box ::)

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »
Taylor's shaders are made from Pensoil, I believe, octane booster bottles. The plastic advertising yellow label comes off to reveal a black tube. A narrow section is removed and the 'tube' fits down over the sights to stop at the forend.  It is held by spring tension and a weak eleastic band.  These worked well in our testing.

Sam Everly

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »
I make my shaders out of sheet metal . I then brown them in side and out . Mine are full lenght , just about 1/2 inch from the muzzle and about 4 inches behind the rear sight . Full lenght is better,you do not get any heat waves off the barrel. On a hot day , 90+ they work good. In my line of work i have alot of scrap and at one time i was making them up and giving them away to all my friends . My not so good friends i would give them the short sets . My under hammer chunker i made the shader out of round tubeing and it fits in slots on the sights . Every one that has not seen it before thinks it is a 4 foot long scope !!       

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »
  I make mine out of copper roof flashing put a double 1/2" bend lenghtwise on both sides and bend it over some round stock to form a "U" shape ,held in place by spring tension I use brass black to get an old age look these are full length shaders.Works for me. Eric D. Lau Riverdale Mi.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 12:27:26 AM »
Here is Roger rendition of shaders. Did I mention before, his chunk string is going to be the one to beat for first place?  Looks as if his works.