Author Topic: Revisiting Tow Wads a la Mike Beliveau in My GRF Trade Gun  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Maven

Revisiting Tow Wads a la Mike Beliveau in My GRF Trade Gun
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:17:44 PM »
When Mike Beliveau's article on traditional smoothbore loading methods appeared in Muzzleloader magazine several years ago I pored over it and couldn't wait to try his recommendations re tow wads and powder charges.  Alas, I tried it his way, but my results weren't very good and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

Last week I got the tow wad bug again, but with a T/C Renegade smoothbore (cap lock), a home cast .550" RB (Lyman mould), and tight tow wads fore & aft.  The powder charge was 85gr. Goex FFFg.  The result, at least @ 25 yd. bench rested were at least the equal of those I get with that same RB using a patch:  I.e., they were very good.

Encouraged by those results, I decided to retest tow wads in my 20ga. GRF trade gun, this time with a bore sized, i.e., .618" RB (Tanner mould) and tow wads.  The powder charge was 85gr. Goex FFFg, but the range was 50 yd., bench rested.  I took 2 fouling shots, so labeled, with a different diameter RB, but the other 12 were with the .618" RB.  First the bad news:  Shots #9, which I can't explain; and #4 and #10, which I can, really messed up my group.  #4 was due to a fouled bore and #10 got away before I was fully ready.  However, I'm quite pleased with the others, which are the best I've done with that gun at that distance.

Lessons learned:  Unlike Mike Believeau, I used 85gr. FFFg. rather than 110gr. FFg. as it was the only powder I had on hand.  Additionally, whereas he used smaller diameter RB's, I did not as neither of my guns is particularly accurate with them and tow loads.  OTOH, both of my guns really like .550" (T/C SB) and .618" RB's (GRF trade gun) and fairly tight fitting tow wads fore and aft.  Lastly, I found that damp swabbing the bore after each shot really helped with accuracy, which may explain my shot #9.

P.S.  The shot at ~10 o'clock and 1 o'clock were preexisting and off the "high tech" paper bag target backer.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Revisiting Tow Wads a la Mike Beliveau in My GRF Trade Gun
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 10:49:41 PM »
When it comes to my 20 and 10 bores, I have never found that 3 F powder with reduced charges, can be substituted for my 2 F loads . The accuracy dropped in both firearms. 

Offline Maven

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 01:42:55 AM »
Be that as it may, Bob, but FFFg was all the powder (and little enough of it!) that I had on hand.  I've already placed an order for some FFg.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline heelerau

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 04:17:15 AM »
 You do need to drive a patched ball from a smoothbore ver fast I have found for best accuracy.  I used to shoot rabbits regularly out to 40 odd yards with an old percussion smoothbore musket as a young teenager.  In isolation I just tried what I had and it worked surprisingly well.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !