Author Topic: Back at it - Done!  (Read 5477 times)

Offline rmnc3r

Back at it - Done!
« on: August 07, 2020, 10:24:56 PM »
After a hiatus of 10 or so years, it's nice to be back at the bench with rekindled interest.  Declining Business prospects and Crud-19 persuaded me to close my Wholesale Lighting Shop and operate from home. I got out at the end of February 2020 (yeaaa! no more Rent Monkey on my back!!) (just in time) and set up a Home Oraffice to take care of the little business that managed to still come my way.

Now with lots of free time on my hands, I finally found the motivation to finish up a Parts Kit I took in trade many years ago.
Dormant (self taught) building skills were not as rusty as I had feared. The carving skills came back almost as easily as well (learned at Conner Prarie taught by Jim Chambers, Oct 1999). Soon, it will be time to renew the feel of chase engraving (learned at Lassen Community College taught by John Barraclough, Summer 1995).

Many Thanks to Mr. Jim Kibler for providing carving design inspiration and Mr. David Crisalli (DC2) for recent posts of his work.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:05:49 PM by rmnc3r »

Offline Not English

Re: Back at it
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 01:37:33 AM »
Congrats on getting going again. It looks like your using nails for pins. Have you ever considered using 1/16' music wire? It's strong stuff and will eat a side cutter over time. I grind my ends flat and put a small bevel on them so it goes through holes smoothly. The beauty of 1/16" music wire is the actual dimensions. The wire is a consistent 0.0620" diameter. A 1/16" drill bit is 0.0625", the pin is always going to fit the pin hole unlike nails which can vary quite about.

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 02:11:22 AM »
Thanks.
I've used drill rod and music wire in the past, but a box of 4d finish nails were on my bench, so I miked them and chose a numbered drill bit  (#49) that was close enough. I round over the point and will round over the other end when I cut them to size.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:19:32 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 09:47:47 PM »
Some progress

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 11:38:13 PM »
I like and appreciate the carving & it's style - very nice indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline john bohan

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 12:55:18 AM »
Looks like mabey you've done that before, real nice. Hope my next one comes close to this quality of work.

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 02:00:07 AM »
Like many, I too have trouble coming up with designs. So, as stated in the OP, Jim Kibler gets the credit for the carving designs that I lifted off his website. I will probably use one of his engraving designs for the side plate, as well.
Thanks Jim!
https://www.jimkibler.net/jims-kit-gun-gallery---colonial.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 02:07:30 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 09:00:07 PM »
First coats of finish (Vinegaroon and Watco Teak Oil). Engraving and some Tru-Oil Topcoat will soon follow

« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 01:51:34 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »
Overcame my Trepidation and tried my hand at Engraving again - It's been 10+ years so my Tools and Skills are equally rusty

I was surprised that my Sakura Pigma Micron 02 Pen (.3mm width) was still able to lay down ink even after 10 years, so I bought some 005 Pens (.2mm) for even finer lines.

I was able to use my old standard GRS Sharpening Jig to put a 130*(ish) belly on the push graver for Nick and Dot Cuts - altho', I don't use it for the dots, I use a small punch.  Gotta clean up that border a bit...

The X-Y Vise is set onto a wooden Turn Table on a base that's canted about 20* 

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 09:21:14 PM by rmnc3r »

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 07:14:23 PM »
Side Plate cleaned up a bit and installed

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »
Looks real nice!  Great work.  I'm happy to provide some ideas and inspiration.

All the best,
Jim

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 09:54:45 PM »
rmnc3r,

Great that you are back "in the saddle" so to speak.  I tried to send you a PM the other day but must have messed something up as I don't think it went through. (I have been in for radiation treatment lately and not sure all my faculties are functioning correctly.... :o) The rifle is beautiful and I love the engraving set up.....and I especially like your chasing hammer !!!  We haven't spoken since finishing the little rifle for your daughter.  I hope all has been well and that the little rifle has been getting some use.  I don't know if I told you but I had Charlie Burton make me two .45 caliber barrels just like the one on that rifle.  I haven't done anything with them yet, but I liked that rifle so much I plan to make a couple at some point.

Anyway, all the best and keep up the lovely work !!!
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline rmnc3r

Re: Back at it - mostly done
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 12:40:56 AM »
Mostly done - maybe do a bit more engraving on the lock and toe plate

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:47:31 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 12:55:44 AM »
 For a "Back at it" that is Really well done. If I thought I could do half as well I would be "Back at it" tomorrow.

Tim C.

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 01:29:26 AM »
For a "Back at it" that is Really well done. If I thought I could do half as well I would be "Back at it" tomorrow.

Tim C. 

"Back at it" is just that - I was pretty active from the early '90's up until I started my own Lighting Wholesale business in 2003, then I lost interest for a while, partly because of running my business and partly because I moved into a Home with a much smaller garage / workshop space (too cramped). Recent waning business prospects caused me to scale back and I, most fortunately, let my lease run out in Feb and started running my business from home - just before the Scamdemic gripped us.  This freed up time and since I had an unfinished pile of parts on hand, it seemed to be the best time to get "back at it".         

I took Jim Chamber's Carving Class at Conner Prairie in 99 and went to a 2 week summer session for Basic Engraving at the NRA Gunsmithing School at Lassen Community College in 95, so I have some experience building, carving and engraving.

I built many a Firelock for my erstwhile reenactment group, California based Morgan's Rifle Co'y as well as for Joe Williams' (RIP) The Gun Works in OR, and occasionally for  Martin B. Retting in Culver City, CA. 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 09:53:31 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 01:45:44 AM »
  Beautiful rifle...thanks for sharring...  Oldtravler

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 01:54:56 AM »
Yes. That is a lovely rifle. Well done.
Daryl

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 02:14:05 AM »
Richard,

OUTSTANDING !!!!
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline BarryE

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 02:27:06 AM »
Very nicely done.  Could ask how you prepared your vinegaroon?

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 04:32:18 AM »
Very nicely done.  Could ask how you prepared your vinegaroon?

Walmart Great Value White Vinegar and sundry rusty dull files in need of resharpening, which were soaked for 3-4 days.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 04:39:19 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 06:51:40 AM »
Richard, that is a very nice looking rifle, especially the carving and engraving.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers Richard

Offline rmnc3r

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 06:30:53 PM »
A little more engraving and some file work on the entry thimble.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »
That's a very nicely made rifle...you should be justifiably satisfied and proud.

I had a blackpowder acquaintance years ago whose name was R. Newman, but his first name was Royce.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »
That rifle came out very nicely.  You have to be happy with that one. 

I really like the engraving on the side plate, where there are "missing" sections that you eye fills in.  I don't know what you call that style, but I think it looks super. 

God Bless,  Marc

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 10:55:41 PM »
Very nice - nice colour, too.
Daryl