Author Topic: French type D fusil de traite ?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
French type D fusil de traite ?
« on: August 09, 2020, 12:57:49 AM »
This is a simple one for those that have the books that are no longer available.
Do French type D trade guns have thumb pieces in the wrist?
Psalms 144

Offline canadianml1

Re: French type D fusil de traite ?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 01:39:11 AM »
I think it is referred to as an escutcheon since they are commonly attached by a thru the wrist bolt. But it does serve as a thumb piece................fancy shaped.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 04:08:18 AM »
But was the escutcheon or thumb piece commonly used of the type D or was it a type C or Fusil Fin thing?
Psalms 144

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 01:52:44 PM »
Hi Clark,
I don't think wrist escutcheons or plates were associated with any style.  They were a feature of the quality of the gun not some artificial type label.  French makers of trade guns made a range of guns varying in quality.  Higher end guns often had fancy cast and chiseled wrist escutcheons that look to be mounted like English fowlers at the time, with a screw through the wrist threaded into a boss on the back side of the plate.  Cheaper guns might have simple sheet brass or silver plates that were pinned in place.  Some guns had no wrist plates at all. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Belleville

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 05:22:26 AM »
Maybe more apt to find a wrist escutcheon or plate on a "Type C". Not enough surviving "Type D's" to give a definite answer.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 04:26:25 PM »
Maybe more apt to find a wrist escutcheon or plate on a "Type C". Not enough surviving "Type D's" to give a definite answer.

I saw your fusil over in the other discussion. Why don't you add some pictures of it on this one, especially the front sight details. I really like yours.
Psalms 144