Author Topic: Smooth rifle  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Smooth rifle
« on: March 16, 2021, 09:27:50 PM »
Is there such a thing as a smooth TN rifle?  Surely somewhere, someone skipped the rifling part or reamed out a shot out rifle and built a smoothbore with stock characteristics of a E TN rifle? 

Have I just not been lucky enough to have seen or heard of one?

Thanks in advance,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Smooth rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 03:54:26 AM »
Ken, there are such animals and I posted photos of one here a long time ago. I will see if I can find something for you about it. It has a cheekiest with a silver moon, a 48 inch smooth bore barrel, full stocked and no patch box.
Dick

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 03:03:45 PM »
Dick,

Thanks for the reply.  I was able to find the pictures in the archives.  Nice gun and very interesting.  Truly seems to be a rare find.  In my head I think there should be more examples.   I'm thinking a smoothbore is easier to make and more versatile as a utilitarian type weapon.

Thanks,
Ken

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6257.0

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 12:48:51 AM »
Amazing what you can find in the archives.  So much information!   I kept researching smooth rifle and now have come on "straight grooved rifles".  Never heard of that.   

How common was this and what time period was it most prevalent in?

Thanks,
Ken

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 06:45:44 PM »
Not a Tenn rifle but I have an Ohio smooth rifle by Christian Seibert. Full stocked with rifle architecture as well as front and rear sights. Rifle is in excellent original condition.
Mark

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 06:58:16 PM »
Thanks Mark.  That's exactly what I was looking for, to know it had front and rear sights like a rifle and rifle architecture.  I've done a lot of reading and searching in the archives.  It seems there was a number of straight rifled fowler type guns.

Ken

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 02:13:42 AM »
Buck and ball guns come to mind. If you go to the contemporary makers blog and type on 'buck and ball' I believe you will see some