Author Topic: rifle saved from the dumpster  (Read 3273 times)

Offline M Tornichio

rifle saved from the dumpster
« on: August 10, 2020, 09:27:27 PM »
This rifle showed up over the weekend. It was destined for the dumpster, but someone mentioned that I had interest in these old rifles. I was able to photograph it and get some measurements. The rifle is signed with letter stamps. the only for sure letter i can make out is an E and period immediately following. I think there are two R's before the E, but is only possible to see in the sunlight. I could not get the other two letters to show up in the pictures.  Curious what everyone's thoughts are for possible maker and where it was made originally made. The barrel is 40 1/8" long. The barrel was shortened 4  1/4" at one point. Originally it keys that fit in the silver inlays. When the barrel was shortened, the barrel was reinstalled with pins. Original length was 44 5/8". I think it is somewhere between 38 and 40 cal. Round ball mold is .37. Some of the features I am hoping help identify area of manufacturer or maker is the trigger guard, patch box, check piece style, and the butt plate ridge filed in between facets and the round where it meets the comb. Length of pull is 13 7/8" butt plate is 1 3/16" wide x 4 3/8" height. There is a toe plate that is long and square. The inside of the patch box looks like it was drilled for the cavity than cleaned up with a chisel straight in from the back. there is a separate piece of wood that is tapered to keep the contents from lodging in the spring release. It is loose, but not sure if it was originally glued into place or broke loose. Any opinion on how to best clean up the rust to show the name on the barrel? Sandpaper might work, but I did not want to start sanding if there was a better way. Also the barrel is swamped. The breech is 15/16" tapers down to 13/16" and back out to 7/8". I imagine that at the original length the breach was 1".
I am going to try to post pictures shortly. I have not tried since photobucket

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: rifle saved from the dumpster
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »
Mike:  using the "add image to post" is far easier than photobucket used to be.

Just place your photos on your computer desktop, then open your thread, and click on "add image to post"  a screen will show where you simply drag your images either one at a time, or in a group, to the open page.  Then hit download in the page, and they will be transferred automatically to yur thread.  Looking forward to seeing the pics.....
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 09:37:06 PM »
Thank you Taylor. I will attempt again.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:05:39 PM »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
I was just at a show on Saturday and there were two rifles with that identical patchbox.  One was Andrew Joy and the other I
can't recall the maker of, but that is definitely a western PA rifle.  Maybe with some enhancement, you will be able to read the
maker's info.  Great save and worthy of a nice restoration.  I wish I remembered the other maker's name.  Good luck.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 10:15:57 PM »
Consult Rick Rosenberger.  I think he can help you.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 11:10:38 PM »
What a great find! Good for you on getting it. Hard to believe that people still throw these things away. There was one in my family that was thrown away long before I came along. You have been given some good advice here, to which I could only add, have you contacted the folks who had it about the lock? Ask them about the horn and bag outfit, too. Thank you for bringing it by. It's always fun to see these guns in 'as found' condition.
Dick

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 11:43:23 PM »
Consult Rick Rosenberger.  I think he can help you.
   I talked to Rick.  He doesn't recognize the remains of the signature but said because of the unusual cartouche, he thinks
he would remember it if he had seen one.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 03:24:07 AM »
Give Tom a call at the Log Cabin, tell him what you have. You may be able to use an old brass shell casing, flattened at the mouth to lightly lift off some rust to expose the name. I did that to a French military fusil that had a steel butplate that had sat in a wet environment. I basically burnished it down some, but went no further to retain it's 'attic found' condition. I have some old locks that may fit the mortise. Tom may have some other suggestions. The shape of the cheek piece is an odd one, but the patchbox is typical of those used around the National Road and have had the moniker of 'a national road patchbox'. For some reason I am thinking that the rifle may have come from the western edge of Ohio, Tom may have a better idea, give him a call

Dropbled

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 09:02:04 PM »
What a great find! It's good that you have it. It's hard to believe people still throw these things away. I work as a driver for a company that rents out dumpsters(186needabin.com) and have sometimes found people throwing away very nice things that were to be repaired. Maybe someday I'll come across some antiques too, would like some guns to hang on the wall in my house too. Just so you understand, the TV is brand new, just a torn cable. But it's not for me to judge them. The rifle is really very beautiful.

Offline Herb

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 11:55:22 PM »
The sideplates go past the lid hinge.  That is a Westmoreland or Allegheny  County,  PA rifle.   S. McCosh used that exact patchbox and his triggerguard was very similar.  This buttplate has more kick back at the toe than his.  Rosenberger and Kaufmann's book  "The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania" shows this rifle on page 30.  Also, the patch box lid is released with a push rod from the toe plate, like McCosh's rifle.  Elisha Pancost also used this patchbox, but he made a different hinge.  I've not seen a cheek rest like this one, the original owner may have whittled it to his liking.  Thomas Allison used this box, too.  But your rifle looks a bit crude compared to these listed.  All these builders used long barrels, too.  About your length.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:23:16 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 02:11:03 AM »

I tried John’s tip and used a piece of brass to scrape the loose rust off the barrel. I think the signature is stamped J PARKE or I RARKE. I don’t think there were any other letters before the J. Does this signature help with ringing a bell with anyone? Thanks for all the info so far.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 11:40:36 PM »
Mark good to see you posting. That's a neat rifle you picked up. I hope someone can help with the name.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 06:49:13 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Mark.  Hope you're doing well. 

All the best,
Jim

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 08:07:01 AM »
I enlarged that image on my tablet and tilted the tablet, I think the name may either be Rarke or perhaps Barke, may even be Barker, May be some missing letters on the tail end. Glad the brass thing worked out and as Brian says, good to see you posting.