Author Topic: Budget 62/20ga Fowler or smoothbore.  (Read 2741 times)

Troy fairweather

Budget 62/20ga Fowler or smoothbore.
« on: August 11, 2020, 06:40:04 AM »
Looking for a Fowler or sb, like to us it for hunting mostly, small game, deer/bear, and turkey. I'd guess a kit will be cheaper, I don't have many tools but can make do. Think a 62/20ga would be perfect.

Like to get a flint lock, caps are just to hard to find sometimes here in New York. I don't know much about different styles, something used in ny would be cool.

Offline Justin Urbantas

Re: Budget 62/20ga Fowler or smoothbore.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 07:26:42 AM »
A Northwest Trade gun would probably suit you well. A very simple and rugged no frills gun.
They're the easiest ones to build too, so that's a bonus.
Something like this one.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/antique-rifles---flintlock/rare-hudson-s-bay-co--flintlock-northwest-indian-trade-fusil-by-j--e--barnett-circa-1870-s-.cfm?gun_id=101029492

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 08:31:32 AM »
"Parts List" kits are available from Track of the Wolf. The North West Trade gun is probably the simplest to assemble and finish. TOW is good to deal with so check out their website. These are NOT pre-assembled kits like Lyman offers. It will take a first time builder at least 50 to 75 hours to put together a gun and finish it. There are several tricky operations to complete and will require a drill press and several files and chisels plus..........  There are plenty of folks on this forum that will help with advise if you get into difficulty and there are some excellent books available too.

As a warning, these guns are like potato chips you cannot eat/do just one...........putting them together is addictive!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 08:39:02 AM by canadianml1 »

Offline Wayne B

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 03:26:37 PM »
PM sent

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 05:41:50 PM »
I'd consider looking for a Tip Curtis gun.  Good quality at modest price.  Now that Tip has died, I don't know what the family has done with the remaining stock.  There may be a new one sitting in Tip's shop.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 11:52:58 PM »
Troy, if you think caps are hard to find, then brace yourself for when you shop for black powder.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 02:18:39 AM »
Troy, if you think caps are hard to find, then brace yourself for when you shop for black powder.

Piffle.

Powder Inc., Graf’s, Maine Powder House, ALL good sources.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 01:24:53 AM »
Sounded to me as if Troy was shopping for caps in the Local Gun Store.  If he goes looking for Black Powder in the LGS he should expect disappointment.  Of course he can order powder and have it delivered to his door and get caps in the same haz mat fee.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 12:51:14 AM »
Looking for a Fowler or sb, like to us it for hunting mostly, small game, deer/bear, and turkey. I'd guess a kit will be cheaper, I don't have many tools but can make do. Think a 62/20ga would be perfect.

Like to get a flint lock, caps are just to hard to find sometimes here in New York. I don't know much about different styles, something used in ny would be cool.

Troy,

You might want to check with Jackie Brown, he's here on the forum.  He could probably make you a plain Jane smoothbore for about the price of most kits.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 05:49:39 PM »
 If you can find a copy of Prior Mountain Bill Newton’s book on tradeguns it has patterns for every part. My first scratch built muzzleloader was a chiefs grade Trader built using his book.

Hungry Horse