Author Topic: False Muzzle  (Read 1660 times)

Offline drago

False Muzzle
« on: August 12, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
The for sale target rifle got me thinking. Would there be any benefit to coning a false muzzle to start over size balls and thick patches? Obviously wouldn't affect the real crown.

Offline flinter49

Re: False Muzzle
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 04:40:49 PM »
Yes there would be an advantage. The two that I have with false muzzles, H & H 40 cal. & K. Briesen 45 cal. , are tapered just for that reason.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 01:10:00 AM »
It would provide the benefits of a coning job and simultaneously would eliminate the concerns some would have to coning be a detrimentality to accuracy.

Offline DGB

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 01:30:44 AM »
drago,

As an experiment mainly to test teflon patching, I loaded a .540 ball down a scrap piece of .50 cal. barrel that had a very generous crown. The crown was approaching a coned condition. The patching was unscathed, indicating that the taper of a false muzzle is indeed allowing the use of oversize balls.

Some target shooters use balls that are quite a bit oversize.

Regards, DGB

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 02:45:16 AM »
A friend in Louisiana has a .52 heavy bench gun (LH flinter) s with a generous false muzzle.  It shoots .530 balls w Teflon patches.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 06:43:43 AM »
My .45 cal long range rifle has a false muzzle which has a taper that allows for the easy loading of paper patched bullets without damaging them. 

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 07:20:21 AM »
TEFLON patches...

Now I’ve heard it all.

Whatever happened to traditional?

Offline little joe

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 10:01:48 AM »
The teflon is sprayed on the cloth and let drt then used.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:59:31 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 04:55:18 PM »
I should have put “Teflon lubed” Patches. I first saw this at a big bench match in ‘81 - that’s 1981, Drago.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline drago

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 03:06:24 AM »
Glad you made the year clear I would have guessed 1881 know how long you've been shooting!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 08:44:32 AM »
Back when I was shooting a VERY deeply grooved .45, with .028" deep rifling, a fellow showed up with his TC Hawkens and complained the ball and patch combination
I had suggested was too tight for him to load. I had suggested a .490" ball and .020" denim patching, if he couldn't load the .495" ball and same patch, although the
larger ball would give better accuracy. That was my experience.
I asked him what combination he couldn't load. .490 and .020" denim. He game me a patch and ball, then I loaded it into my .45 barrel, and shot it on the gong at 100yards - clang.
Standard radiused crown. Yes- it took a smack to get it in, but it went in and down the tube - 3/8" hickory rod.
My bore was .504", groove to groove, almost as large as his .50, but not quite. Mine also had tall lands to impress into the ball with the patch as well.
Tight combinations do not need coning, in fact, tight ball and patch combinations load easier in the radiused crown than in a long cone.  The longer the cone, the longer the actual
friction surface, the greater the total friction.
Metal moving dies have short, rounded radius surfaces. Loading oversized balls or projectiles requires moving metal to conform to the grooves.  The patch seals while supplying the
necessary lubricant to soften the fouling going down as well as when the 'load' is discharged. ihmo
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V