Author Topic: Highlander arriving with Gold in his Poke - 1746 - Which Gun?  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Highlander arriving with Gold in his Poke - 1746 - Which Gun?
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:21:49 PM »
I'm trying to decide on a Contemporary purchase. Any experts want to chime in on what a Scot landing in Cape Fear, NC, c1746, and with a bit of money in his pocket (most who landed with him went upriver and bought a minimum of 200 acres in Bladen County within weeks) would have bought as far as a gun goes? I wouldn't think, with their cutural flare, and a bit of money, they would have gone 'Carolina Gun' but it is certainly possible. English? They would have had to buy what was available partway up the river at either Brunswick or Wilmington, and as I find no evidence that they made any forays farther than that, to, say, Charlestown that year. They would have had to buy one upon landing, as they arrived from Cambelltown, Kintyre with Transportation papers and immediately moving into the frontier. What would have been the predominant firearm at say Wilmington or Charlestown outside the Type G? English imports or PA guns that had made their way down the Road?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:25:20 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline BOB HILL

Re: Highlander arriving with Gold in his Poke - 1746 - Which Gun?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 09:45:06 PM »
Carolina coast probably  English fowling piece would be most a available. That would be my thoughts.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:39:22 PM »
Carolina coast probably  English fowling piece would be most a available. That would be my thoughts.
Bob
DITTO
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 12:49:37 AM »
Bob
DITTO

I guess I need an early English fowling piece..... I wish I knew of anyone who makes those.... ???

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 01:17:32 AM »
  Bob theirs some guy in a.cornfield in Iowa. Heard tell he might have made one or two...Cranky old guy..but some speak right highly of him...!!    I hear Stoner Creek knows him... Oldtravler

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 01:42:51 AM »
  Bob theirs some guy in a.cornfield in Iowa. Heard tell he might have made one or two...Cranky old guy..but some speak right highly of him...!!    I hear Stoner Creek knows him... Oldtravler

Yep, Mike, that’s who I was, as they say in town, ‘alludin’ too. He’s about give out though I hear. I’ll bet Stoner has a half dozen laying around. 😉

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 01:45:12 AM »
I would like to build 3 or 4 for myself. Got the parts all gathered up, just need the time.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 02:57:02 AM »

Yep, Mike, that’s who I was, as they say in town, ‘alludin’ too. He’s about give out though I hear. I’ll bet Stoner has a half dozen laying around. 😉
You’re pretty close. 7
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 03:22:02 AM »

You’re pretty close. 7

Lol. I figured.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 02:38:37 PM »
Guys,
Brian Barker is the best kept secret out there.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 03:23:30 PM »
I have to agree with you, Wayne. I don't think I've ever seen a piece of Brian's work I didn't like.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 03:48:29 PM »
Chuck Edwards does some stunning english work

Offline AsMs

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 04:14:37 PM »
Bob,

The producers of Outlanders gave Jaime a Pedersoli Frontier Rifle.

I would suggest you do not follow in their foot steps😉

AsMs

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »
Bob,

The producers of Outlanders gave Jaime a Pedersoli Frontier Rifle.

I would suggest you do not follow in their foot steps😉

AsMs

I’ll make every attempt to resist the urge.  ;)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 10:48:28 PM »
As Bob and Mike said above, I have read that along the southern coast, smoothbores were most common.  It was cheaper to buy an import gun landing at a town like Norfolk, Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah than to have someone make one.  Once you got inland, the transportation added enough to make local gun building worthwhile.  I noticed that books like Bill Ivey's don't show any gunmaking "schools" in the coastal areas like Wilmington.  I know there was a gunsmith in Wilmington, as I have seen a period advertisement.

Also, due to the dense nature of the coastal forests and pocosins, it is my understanding that shots were short range and often fast moving affairs.  The smoothbores worked just fine in that habitat, and allowed the versatility of using it for fowl, large or small game.  Even today, hunters often go afield with shotguns in the coastal plain. 

If anyone has any period advertisements or writing about gunsmiths in Wilmington, NC, I'd love to hear about it. 

Bob, sounds like your family were Highland Scots if they settled that area?  The Scots Irish seem to have all gone as far west as possible in NC to live the way they wanted. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 11:10:40 PM »
As Bob and Mike said above, I have read that along the southern coast, smoothbores were most common.  It was cheaper to buy an import gun landing at a town like Norfolk, Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah than to have someone make one.  Once you got inland, the transportation added enough to make local gun building worthwhile.  I noticed that books like Bill Ivey's don't show any gunmaking "schools" in the coastal areas like Wilmington.  I know there was a gunsmith in Wilmington, as I have seen a period advertisement.

Also, due to the dense nature of the coastal forests and pocosins, it is my understanding that shots were short range and often fast moving affairs.  The smoothbores worked just fine in that habitat, and allowed the versatility of using it for fowl, large or small game.  Even today, hunters often go afield with shotguns in the coastal plain. 

If anyone has any period advertisements or writing about gunsmiths in Wilmington, NC, I'd love to hear about it. 

Bob, sounds like your family were Highland Scots if they settled that area?  The Scots Irish seem to have all gone as far west as possible in NC to live the way they wanted. 

God Bless,   Marc

Hey Mark, thanks for the info and I agree with your assessment. Yes they were Highlanders from Kintyre. On the peninsula. Near Campbelltown. It was their own people who founded modern Fayetteville, originally named Campbelltown, a Highland enclave.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 11:37:09 PM »
Bob, this first reference is a good deal later, but suggests an alternative - a rifle if you're headed up country.

Many Scots in NC sided with the Regulators around 1770, but were thumped by the Royal Governor and troops.  So they were Loyalists a few years later when the Rev War came along.  At the battle of Moore's Creek Bridge, they were routed again, and "the conquerors have already Taken 350 guns and shot-bags, about 150 swords and dirks; 1500 excellent rifles."  That is a lot of rifles.

Cherokee campaign records also mention rifles much earlier.  I stocked this rifle along the lines of the E Marshall rifle, and Stephen Davis finished it with a Southern flair. 

The Jim Chambers - Mark Silver southern rifle would also fit the bill.  Happy Hunting, Bob

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 11:45:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Bob. That's super good stuff. Yes, and keep this just between you and me, but they did fight for the King. Family lore is that it was due to the Oath they swore after Culloden but who knows the real reason. So, it seems by 1770 rifles were heavily favored. I wonder if those were rifles that came down the Road or were imports?

That rifle is a real beaut. That is exactly the finish that really appeals to me. Fabulous.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »
You might be interested in reading this :
It's taken from page 2 of this http://www.sonsofdewittcolony.org/mckstmerreg1.htm

The second myth, perhaps generated in reaction to the first, claims that most of the Regulators became Loyalists during the Revolutionary War. One reason for this belief seems to be based on the words of Tryon's successor, Governor Josiah Martin. During late 1775 and early 1776, Martin reported that the Highland Scots and the Regulators could be counted on to put down rebellion in the colony. After all, the governor had heard or seen countless oaths of loyalty from both the former Regulators and the Scotch survivors of "Butcher Cumberland" who emigrated to America---necessary prerequisites for their pardon. The Scots, moreover, seemed to have possessed a genuine loyalty to their conquerors. As for the Regulators they were in no hurry to align themselves with their former enemies---the men who had recently become such strong patriots were the very same who led the government and militia against the Regulators.  Many Regulators did become Loyalists, but others were equally ardent as Whigs, and still others, smarting from the defeat at Alamance, managed to maintain a certain flexibility throughout the entire war. Former Regulators, therefore, could hardly be considered as a single class during the Revolution. As for Governor Martin, his brave pronouncements were halted by the Battle of Moores Creek Bridge. A handful of former Regulators had joined a group of Highland Scots on a march to Wilmington, where a rendezvous with other Loyalist troops was planned. On the march, Whig forces surprised and defeated this group at Moores Creek Bridge, a battle sometimes called the "Lexington and Concord of the South."
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 12:02:56 AM »
It's taken from page 2 of this http://www.sonsofdewittcolony.org/mckstmerreg1.htm

The second myth, perhaps generated in reaction to the first, claims that most of the Regulators became Loyalists during the Revolutionary War. One reason for this belief seems to be based on the words of Tryon's successor, Governor Josiah Martin. During late 1775 and early 1776, Martin reported that the Highland Scots and the Regulators could be counted on to put down rebellion in the colony. After all, the governor had heard or seen countless oaths of loyalty from both the former Regulators and the Scotch survivors of "Butcher Cumberland" who emigrated to America---necessary prerequisites for their pardon. The Scots, moreover, seemed to have possessed a genuine loyalty to their conquerors. As for the Regulators they were in no hurry to align themselves with their former enemies---the men who had recently become such strong patriots were the very same who led the government and militia against the Regulators.  Many Regulators did become Loyalists, but others were equally ardent as Whigs, and still others, smarting from the defeat at Alamance, managed to maintain a certain flexibility throughout the entire war. Former Regulators, therefore, could hardly be considered as a single class during the Revolution. As for Governor Martin, his brave pronouncements were halted by the Battle of Moores Creek Bridge. A handful of former Regulators had joined a group of Highland Scots on a march to Wilmington, where a rendezvous with other Loyalist troops was planned. On the march, Whig forces surprised and defeated this group at Moores Creek Bridge, a battle sometimes called the "Lexington and Concord of the South."

Great stuff Dennis. I alway love to read anything about the settlement of western NC.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 12:21:58 AM »
The loyalty of the Highlanders in NC to George III puzzled me for a long time until I read somewhere that the majority of those that came here were members of Clan Campbell or associated folks. Since the Campbells were longtime supporters of the Hanovarians against the Stuarts, even fighting alongside Cumberland against Bonnie Prince Charlie (not all the Highlanders were Jacobites by a long shot), a great deal of NC history made a lot more sense.

Bob,
I think that reference to rifles refers not only to the weapons taken at Moore's Creek Bridge but also to those taken from non-Highland loyalists during a sweep of the surrounding counties in the aftermath of the battle. It does suggest that there were a lot of rifles in the Southern backcountry by the 1770s, but not necessarily in the hands of the Highlanders in particular.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 03:42:52 AM »

The second myth, perhaps generated in reaction to the first, claims that most of the Regulators became Loyalists during the Revolutionary War. One reason for this belief seems to be based on the words of Tryon's successor, Governor Josiah Martin. During late 1775 and early 1776, Martin reported that the Highland Scots and the Regulators could be counted on to put down rebellion in the colony. After all, the governor had heard or seen countless oaths of loyalty from both the former Regulators and the Scotch survivors of "Butcher Cumberland" who emigrated to America---necessary prerequisites for their pardon. The Scots, moreover, seemed to have possessed a genuine loyalty to their conquerors. As for the Regulators they were in no hurry to align themselves with their former enemies---the men who had recently become such strong patriots were the very same who led the government and militia against the Regulators.  Many Regulators did become Loyalists, but others were equally ardent as Whigs, and still others, smarting from the defeat at Alamance, managed to maintain a certain flexibility throughout the entire war. Former Regulators, therefore, could hardly be considered as a single class during the Revolution. As for Governor Martin, his brave pronouncements were halted by the Battle of Moores Creek Bridge. A handful of former Regulators had joined a group of Highland Scots on a march to Wilmington, where a rendezvous with other Loyalist troops was planned. On the march, Whig forces surprised and defeated this group at Moores Creek Bridge, a battle sometimes called the "Lexington and Concord of the South."

Great stuff Dennis. I alway love to read anything about the settlement of western NC.

Bob,
You might enjoy our own Corey Joe Stewart's thesis "The Affairs of Boston in the North Carolina Backcountry during the American Revolution". UNCG Author Cory Joe Stewart.

I found it quite interesting.

http://libres.uncg.edu/ir/uncg/listing.aspx?styp=ti&id=4355
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 03:59:18 AM »
Thanks Dennis.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 08:18:19 AM »
A podcast called “Ben Franklins World” has An episode (252) about Highland soldiers in colonial America. As I recall it’s an interview with the author Of A new books on the subject.  I think many of the the Scots living here Were still political monarchists by nature. Even if they had recently rebelled against “a” king many Still embraced the concept. Anyway it’s worth a listen. The book sounded good too.
TC
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:31:52 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 09:07:25 AM »
A podcast called “Ben Franklins World” has An episode (252) about Highland soldiers in colonial America. As I recall it’s an interview with the author Of A new books on the subject.  I think many of the the Scots living here Were still political monarchists by nature. Even if they had recently rebelled against “a” king many Still embraced the concept. Anyway it’s worth a listen. The book sounded good too.
TC

Thanks TC for the lead on a great sounding podcast and book. 👍🏻