Author Topic: J Fordney - New Photos  (Read 3806 times)

Offline nord

J Fordney - New Photos
« on: August 16, 2009, 02:53:41 AM »
Thought I'd bring this over from the Antiqueguns site... More photos to come.

Pennsylvania long rifle
Posted by: zipollini (71.244.232.43)
Date: August 14, 2009 03:30PM

This is the 1st time that I have posted on this site so please bare with me a little. I recently inherited what I belive to be a Pennsylvania long rifle and would like to get some information on the gun such as history or info on the maker, history of the gun, materials, possible worth, etc. I have absolutely no knowledge about guns so any information you could provide would be very helpful. I have attached some photos that I hope will be useful. If you need any more - please let me know. Here is what I have so far. On the top of the barrel near the rear sight is the the engraving "Afordney - Lancaster, PA". I'm guessing that this is the maker and his location. The overall length of the gun is 55 inches. That is as far as i have gotten.

Thanks in advance for your help

S.M. (Edited)
Ohio
USA

=====================================================

=====================================================
AG Comments:

Seth -

It's my great pleasure to inform you that based upon what I've seen so far you have a treasure there. I'll first inform you that as much as I'd wish to own this rifle I cannot make you an offer nor will I ever as to do so would be a violation of ethics. I'll further inform you that an open discussion of value in public is probably not in your best interest, though I can give an estimated range in my formal answer here (With your permission.)

Before I say more I'd ask you to visit the ALR Museum & Library at [americanlongrifles.org]. This will give you an idea of the photos and documentation I'll need. I'll further ask you to call me at (888) 330-9610 and I'll share what I know privately. I'll then ask you to consider exactly what can be shared on the public boards.

As a matter of courtesy and security I'm also going to edit your name from the above post.

Do you begin to get the idea that this isn't a common trade rifle?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce - Great to talk to you today. You gave me a ton of great info. I've had some problems getting more pictures to you thru the email address's that you gave me but I will keep trying. I have attached 3 photos of three different guns with the Fordney name engraved in three different ways that I found on the web today.

The 1st photo named "M Fordney 1"

The second photo titled "M Fordney 2" was from this site

[www.skinnerinc.com]

The 3rd photo titled "M Fordney 3" is a picture of my gun which matches the 2nd photo.

So far I have found 3 Fordney's. Malchior, Casper and Jacob.

Thanks again for your help and I hope I can get you some more pics.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ill mwager my autographed photo of NoBama that it was made in Lancaster Co, PA, and may be signed. Look on top flat of barrel to see if signature/ initials. I'll also wager my lovely photograph of Billary that it is artificially striped wood. Those 2 things said, my guess is GIBBS or DREPPERD. Somewhere I think I saw "tade gun" which I'd bet my signed pic of Nancy Pelosi it ain't. Checkerong at wright is characteristic of c.1840 Lancaster pieces. Nice collectoble gun. Measure barrel length + look for a signature, focus your camera too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ill mwager my autographed photo of NoBama that it was made in Lancaster Co, PA, and may be signed."

As I mentioned in my post - It says something (unknown letter) "Fordney - Lancastrer, PA"

"Look on top flat of barrel to see if signature/ initials."

See above and my original post

"I'll also wager my lovely photograph of Billary that it is artificially striped wood."

Couldn't tell ya.

"Those 2 things said, my guess is GIBBS or DREPPERD."

Why does it say "Fordney - Lancaster, PA" on the barrel then ?

"Somewhere I think I saw "tade gun" which I'd bet my signed pic of Nancy Pelosi it ain't."

Huh ?

"Checkerong at wright is characteristic of c.1840 Lancaster pieces."

Huh ?

"Nice collectoble gun. Measure barrel length + look for a signature,"

Total gun length = 55inches barrel length = 40inches

I missed Fordney name in your initial posting. Why not concentrate on taking decent photos instead of biting a hand that feeds you? No more from me. O, yes, the typo== it's "wrist" vice "wright" sorry my fault. There is a wonderful story Bruce nows on the death of Melchior Fordney.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:39:45 PM by nord »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: Fordney
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
I'm not sure what the question is. This rifle is almost certainly a Jacob Fordney. Brother of Melchoir. This is a good thing. A very fine maker of the period.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:59:14 PM »
Nord........many years ago I sold some guns for a collector from Pine Grove, Pa., just some stuff he didn't want.  One of the guns was signed "J. Fordney", and it had applied striping to the stock, but was typical Fordney architecture, rather
plain, no checkered wrist, etc............Don

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 05:46:59 PM »
Gentlemen -

I'm still awaiting a good photo series. I have some shots of the muzzle, but they're not yet enough for me to conclude anything, save for that this is a fine rifle.

More as it arrives in my mail. I'll present this rifle to the Library Committee with the owner's permission.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.