Author Topic: Goex Reanactor powder  (Read 2266 times)

Offline drago

Goex Reanactor powder
« on: August 18, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
Just wondering if any one has tried it in their muzzle loader? How did it shoot?

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Goex Reanactor powder
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 04:20:15 PM »
I think it’s a combo of 2f and 3f so shot to shot and can to can will be inconsistent at some level, but it’s certainly shootable. I’m sure it could find a purpose. Maybe a 28 gauge shooting shot type thing...

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 06:05:36 PM »
it makes a decent item to put on the blanket as a prize, but don't go nowhere the business end of any of mine.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:11:36 PM »
I know a shooter who wins a lot at Friendship on the offhand line. I have seen him use it in one of his rifles. I guaranteed you he would not be using it if he was not confident in winning matches with it.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 06:42:07 AM »
Well, I just got 4 # from Midway USA. Ignites really quick in my 58 flinter.
Wondered about the note that it is OK for low pressure loads--so--I screened a pound. It is full of 4f. Got enough to fill 2 small priming horns and a bit more. Also about 2 tbs of 1f. The rest is 2 and 3f. Also seems to foul a bit more than GOEX 3f.
BUT--at $11.59(on sale) per pound I will shoot it in my backyard range.
Buy it again---yes in a heart beat. Shoots WAY better then this ole Elephant I have.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
This has been driving me nuts for several weeks. I haven't seen black powder that cheap in many years and at some point you may not be able to even buy black powder. At that price how can you pass on it! Its probably a lot better than most powder used in the 1700s. Goex is good powder and just because it isn't screened doesn't mean its bad. Hey if you can screen it and take to fines out and use that for priming powder all is good.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »
I like Goex regular powder a lot.  My only concern with that Reenactor mixture of powder is consistency.  I wonder if it will give variations in velocity and accuracy depending on what part of the blend you get when you pour?  If it gave great accuracy, I believe they would be marketing it that way rather than marketing it to folks who are not launching projectiles. 

My overall thought is that at going rates, BP is still pretty cheap compared to what rifles and guns go for.  I plan to stick with the stuff screened for the same grain size. 

"Shoots WAY better then this ole Elephant I have"

TonyM, that is quite an anecdotal comment.  What do you mean by that?  It seems to go off quicker?  In side by side comparison on paper it gives tighter groups?  Leaves less fouling by comparison?  It costs less per pound?   

I think Bob may be onto something with smoothbore shot loads.

Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 08:57:41 PM »
 Buy the re-enactor powder, and then double up on your range time. Those guys that can shoot rings around you with mixed  powder, unweighted balls, loads that don’t take a hydraulic press to get down the barrel, and some sort of tallow for lube, are spending more time at the range. You can bet on it.

Hungry Horse

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 06:24:36 AM »
Hey Marcruger--nice catch about the Elephant.

My brother in law gave me several pounds of the stuff. Being accustomed to the ignition speed of goex 3f, the Elephant(2f and 3f) ignites much slower. The re-enactor ignites as quickly as goex 3f, in the flinters I tried. When I shoot the elephant I usually duplex load it. 15 gr goex 3f followed buy the elephant. This works well for the goex cartridge also. Before anyone hollers, John Bivins won a NC shoot when pyrodex first came out by duplex loading the same way.

I'm slipping up on 72 yrs, and shoot from a wheelchair. Whacking the steel plates in my backyard range in about it for me. The cheep stuff is fine for that, and that includes the free elephant. Which I'll shoot when out of everything else.  LOL

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 04:19:22 AM »
A tea strainer gets the 4f out. A regular strainer gets the 1f. Buy both at te local food store.

Offline Nazgul

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 12:29:23 PM »
Have 6 lbs coming. Good price. Will be used in the 2 - 1" bore cannons I have.

Plan is to sieve the 4F sized grains out.

Don

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 06:06:14 PM »
I got mine yesterday. It does have a lot of fines in it. Should be great priming powder after screening. I ordered a 40 mesh flour sifter to screen it. At the price I can get cheap priming powder and have cannon powder left over if it isn't consistent in my rifles. I have plenty of other powder to use but I wasn't going to pass up on powder this cheap. Photo of powder so you can see the mix of granulation.

Offline Nazgul

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 12:29:15 PM »
Ordered from Midway on a Saturday, HAZMAT only $11 or so. Arrived the next Tuesday!!

Don

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 12:47:27 AM »
I got mine yesterday. It does have a lot of fines in it. Should be great priming powder after screening. I ordered a 40 mesh flour sifter to screen it. At the price I can get cheap priming powder and have cannon powder left over if it isn't consistent in my rifles. I have plenty of other powder to use but I wasn't going to pass up on powder this cheap. Photo of powder so you can see the mix of granulation.

An amazing, tell-it-all picture.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline lexington1

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 05:37:53 AM »
Darn, I must have missed the sale.