Author Topic: Introduction and some .40 cal questions  (Read 5173 times)

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Introduction and some .40 cal questions
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2020, 10:56:31 PM »
Then get the A profile 40 cal in 38 inches. I had one years ago and a it made very handy light weight rifle. I don't remember exact weight but it was under 7 lbs. It was built with a nice piece of cherry.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2020, 11:47:09 PM »
I'm sure I've mentioned this before , but my .40 X 38" X "B" wgt is a good 8 lbs or more.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Brian Stuart

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 12:04:13 AM »
I'm sure I've mentioned this before , but my .40 X 38" X "B" wgt is a good 8 lbs or more.
You're right, I see you posted the weight earlier in this thread. Of course the benefit of a heavier barrel is offhand steadiness, and you said you like how it balances.

Then get the A profile 40 cal in 38 inches. I had one years ago and a it made very handy light weight rifle. I don't remember exact weight but it was under 7 lbs. It was built with a nice piece of cherry.
Dennis
The A profile is definitely lighter at 3.1lbs in .40. My concern is finding a kit with that barrel profile, as I've never built a rifle before I don't want to get a stock blank for my first project. Any way to build from a kit and still get a pre-inlet stock for A-weight barrel?

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2020, 12:58:12 AM »
Brian: The Kibler SMR kit comes with a Rice "A" weight golden Age barrel it is 46-inches long, swamped with a 1/48-inch twist. It weighs 7 lb. 2 1/4 oz (with full patch box and ramrod installed). Love the heck out of mine and today at the range I shot from 25 yards to 90 yards with 40 grains of Goex 3F no hold over required,
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Brian Stuart

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2020, 02:37:55 AM »
Brian: The Kibler SMR kit comes with a Rice "A" weight golden Age barrel it is 46-inches long, swamped with a 1/48-inch twist. It weighs 7 lb. 2 1/4 oz (with full patch box and ramrod installed). Love the heck out of mine and today at the range I shot from 25 yards to 90 yards with 40 grains of Goex 3F no hold over required,
I'd have already purchased the Kibler SMR if it could be had in a shorter barrel, like a 42". I understand they're called Longrifles for a reason, but I'm coming from the modern cartridge world and a 38" barrel is longer than most rifles I own. A 5-foot rifle isn't what comes to mind when I think of "handy". No doubt I'd become accustomed to a rifle of such length, it just seemed prudent to start with a shorter and lighter option.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 09:39:05 AM »
Brian, My .40 is 53 1/2" long. That's with a 38" barrel. I find the length very handy in the woods. Unlike a straight barrel which can be very end heavy, I find the IH rifles with the swamped barrel to be so well balanced I never think about it when shooting.
My scales are not accurate enough to get a good weight but I'm sure it weighs between 7 and 8 pounds. It's not a light weight.

For a first build I wouldn't recommend any of the kit rifles I listed. There is a higher level of difficulty than with kits like the Great Plains and other factory kits. The Kibler kit is the only one I recommend for a first timer.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Huckleberry

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2020, 01:59:59 PM »
My .40 has a 38” straight green mountain barrel.  The rifle weighs 7.5 lbs on my bathroom scale and balances at the entry thimble.  It handles and shoots very well.

Brian Stuart

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
Brian, My .40 is 53 1/2" long. That's with a 38" barrel. I find the length very handy in the woods. Unlike a straight barrel which can be very end heavy, I find the IH rifles with the swamped barrel to be so well balanced I never think about it when shooting.
My scales are not accurate enough to get a good weight but I'm sure it weighs between 7 and 8 pounds. It's not a light weight.
It sounds like a B-weight barrel in .40 would be OK. I weighed some of my rifles and shotguns, and I think anything under 8lbs is fine for my purposes. I have a CZ 452 in .22lr that comes in at 6.3lbs loaded, and that's a joy to carry all day. As you note, balance is important, and the weight of a longrifle is distributed over a much larger area than my little .22, which is a challenge to hold steady for offhand shots.

My .40 has a 38” straight green mountain barrel.  The rifle weighs 7.5 lbs on my bathroom scale and balances at the entry thimble.  It handles and shoots very well.
How wide is the barrel? Probably a 13/16" at that weight? I'm impressed at how light some of these straight barrel rifles are, like this one Steve built.

For a first build I wouldn't recommend any of the kit rifles I listed. There is a higher level of difficulty than with kits like the Great Plains and other factory kits. The Kibler kit is the only one I recommend for a first timer.
Most likely I'll pick up one of Track's Isaac Haines kits, but Jim Kibler mentioned in his recent video they're going to produce a Northwest Trade Gun kit, and I may start there for my first build.

Offline Huckleberry

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 01:50:15 AM »
Yep 13/16” barrel - it’s really enjoyable to shoot.  I use 27 grains (.357 casing for a measure) at 30 yards and under.  Use 40 grains at 40-50 yards.  I have not shot much past 50 yards with it.  Very little recoil...

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 02:43:06 AM »
Brian, If you get the IH kit then go to Chambers website and get a couple of videos showing how to build a rifle from a kit. Books are nice but the video will help you a lot more.
American horses of Arabian descent.