Author Topic: Stunkard Rifle ?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline far55

Stunkard Rifle ?
« on: August 20, 2020, 03:54:20 AM »
I got a restoration project to work on this coming winter.  In looking through Whisker and Yantz "Gunsmiths of Bedford, Fulton, Huntingdon, & Somerset Counties" the initials on this barrel seem to match up.  Is anyone able to confirm this from the barrel signature and these stock photos?  Stunkard was from New Grenada in Fulton County PA.  The rifle has a 1 inch x 39.25 inch barrel and about 36-38 caliber.  I can try to get some better photos in the daylight tomorrow.  Thanks.  Roland

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Re: Stunkard Rifle ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 01:17:51 PM »
You are correct. Robert F Stunkard.....!

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline far55

Re: Stunkard Rifle ?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 04:54:52 PM »
I went and pulled out my copy of " The Kentucky Rifle and Me, by Edith Cooper" There is one Stunkard rifle in it with a very good full signature on the barrel. The initials on this barrel match exactly. Thanks for your reply confirming my guess on the maker.  I pulled the barrel this morning, and it appears to be a period reuse of an old barrel. I will try to get some more photos to post this evening.    Roland

Offline far55

Re: Stunkard Rifle ? A few more photos
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 04:05:15 AM »
Here are a couple more photos. I was surprised when I pulled the barrel and found the 2 front lugs were standard brass dovetailed lugs, but the rear 2 had been removed and steel hoops installed when the barrel was installed into this stock. There are no inlets for the original dovetailed lugs, so the barrel must have been reused ? I have not seen this style of under lug before with a chiseled pocket for the ends to fit into. The butt plate is 7/8" x 3-3/8" , really skinny butt.