Author Topic: Hornady conical  (Read 7759 times)

Bob F

Hornady conical
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:29:03 AM »
A friend of mine gave me half a box of older Hornady 240gr PA Conicals that say they are designed for 1 in 66 twist.  Has anybody ever tried them and if you did were they accurate?

Daryl

Re: Hornady conical
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:04:46 AM »
Perfect! -  cast them into round balls - pefect for a 66" twist in a .54. can't see shooting a conical(with their attendent fouling buildup) that's barely heavier than a round ball which shoots 'clean' - what's the point?  I'd not shoot them, Bob.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 07:05:15 AM by Daryl »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:16:54 AM »
Daryl is right.
These sound like something designed to sell to people that just have to have a "new and improved" conical no matter how impractical might be.
They almost certainly have the added benefit of moving off the powder at the slightest provocation.
Starting with the Maxi-Ball the round ball started getting undeserved bad press. After all if the RB worked good there was no reason to buy the "new and improved" stuff. So the round ball has been systematically vilified and the various modern conicals given glowing reports in the gun press. When in reality the PRB is generally superior in ML arms.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 05:04:44 PM »
I have a few in 50 cal.  I know another that likes them, somewhat.  They will give deer accuracy, and might give an edge on an elk if a 50 is desired for that use.  I think they now call them the Pennsylvania Hunters or something.  I still hold. that if one uses a roundball designed gun and more power is needed, go to a larger bore.  If one compares the muzzleloading conicals to the BPC conicals, one sees they still are very inefficient.  A 300 grain bullet in a 45-70 still loses velocity pretty fast, whcih is why the military used the 405-500 grain bullets.  My Hornady "ballets"  are destined for the melting pot.

DP

Bob F

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:07:01 AM »
Mine will probably end up in a melting pot someday.  Right now I shoot Hornady .490 and also some poured .490 that I got at Dixons.  Both shoot equally well in both of my .50s.  I had never heard of them so I figured I'd ask before trying them.  Thanks for the info.

Walks with Fire

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
In my opinion the PA conical is useful in providing .54 projectile weight in a .50 caliber. I have used them on deer and they work just fine; don't know if one would concider it a vast improvement over the .495 ball that I normally use; but it worked just fine.  I find they shoot to about the same aim point as the ball does. I do modify mine somewhat though. I use a single wrap of paper patching around them and then lube the paper with Crisco shortening to make them fit just a bit more snug; I also flatten the rounded point with a file to make a wide meplat. I shoot them with 80 grains of Goex 2f in my PA Hunter 1/66 twist flinter with around 2" groups at 80 yards. I have only taken one deer with this load and I hit it where the neck meets the shoulder at about 65 yards; the deer dropped like a stone, kicked a couple times and the show was over.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:14:19 AM by Walks with Fire »

catchinzs

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 04:02:03 AM »
I've shot these many times.  They seem to work just fine but I've definately noticed a fouling issue when using them.  I can shot two before the barrel must be brushed out. 
You can start the third but you'll need a hammer  :o to get it down without brushing out the barrel first.

The other thing that I've noticed is that the conicals do not expand nearly as much on impact as the round ball does.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 06:55:32 PM »
I don need no steenking conicals man.

Sorry could not resist.  ::)

Was doing photos for another post and browsed by this entrance would for a 437 gr RB.
Deer went down in his tracks at 90 yards no bones broken other than ribs.

Dan

Jeff Peters

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »
Round ball barrel shoot patched round balls
They work fine on both deer and bear from my experience
The secrete is to practice with your gun and know where she hits
There is no substitute for Field practice no mater how they wrap it and package it
Jeff

Bob F

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »
I agree and use PRB in my flinters.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:10:19 AM »
I personally could not see wasting powder to re'zero for a conical when the round ball is more then enough for taking game, and everything else you want to do with a muzzle loader.

I know a lot of folks use them, but I've never seen the point in 'em.

Once a round ball man, always a round ball man, Bob. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:11:18 AM by Candle Snuffer »

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »
Hey Dan.  I am at work and can't look it up.  How big is the 437 gr. round ball?
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Maven

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:40 AM »
"They seem to work just fine but I've definately noticed a fouling issue when using them.  I can shot two before the barrel must be brushed out." 

You can reduce the fouling you get with conicals and heavy loads if you damp patch after every shot, then follow with a dry patch.  As for accuracy, I've never noticed much difference between T/C Maxi-Balls and round balls in 1:48" twist bbls. and even in my 1:28" bbl.  The difference, of course, is in the amount of powder I can use under each in the 1:28" twist.  However, accuracy with a conical (Lee Improved Minie) in 1:66" bbls. has been abysmal.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 04:46:47 AM »
Hey Dan.  I am at work and can't look it up.  How big is the 437 gr. round ball?

I think the bore size is perfect for a heavy rifle in the US. certainly big enough to large bears etc. But a .69 (14 bore) is little different I guess.
Its hard to find someone who makes a barrel for a .662 ball.

This is about 4 gallons of water in a cat litter jug vs the 16 bore at 25 yards or so.

Dan