Author Topic: 2020 Kibler Kit Class with Mike Brooks at the NMLRA | Update Thread  (Read 10247 times)

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
Good morning everyone! At 8am at the NMLRA Education Center in Friendship, Indiana, students arrived and began setting up for Mike Brooks' Kibler Kit Assembly Class. We've got 8 students here this week, all of various skill levels building a new rifles.

I wanted to share some photos and updates through the week in this thread, I hope you enjoy. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Day 1 Morning:

Students are working to finish the inletting of their barrels. The Kibler Kits are a tight fit, but require some final carving at the breech to get everything flush. After about an hour everyone' breech is fit and students are adding barrel lugs. Students had a choice of the Kibler Colonial and the Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Kit. We can't thank Kibler Longrifles enough for working to ensure these students had the necessary kits before the class started, especially in such a busy time.

Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline EC121

Re: 2020 Kibler Kit Class with Mike Brooks at the NMLRA | Update Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 06:40:34 PM »
Great picture.  Looks like Mike is getting some work out of his assistant instructor.
Brice Stultz

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 06:49:36 PM »
Great picture.  Looks like Mike is getting some work out of his assistant instructor.

He certainly is! They are both going to wear out their shoes running around the room!

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 06:58:26 PM »
 ;D ;D... Thanx for the coverage on these classes,... got a couple fellows who know their stuff teaching,... !!! ...if Wayne's daughter shows up with paint & brush, just step back and watch,... !!!... Have fun, fellows,... !!!... regards to all,... CCF

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 07:03:35 PM »
That is one attentive student Wayne has there.

Awesome pics. Wish I could’ve made it up this year.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 07:15:07 PM »
A shot of Mike Brooks here

As of writing, just about everyone is onto setting their hardware. I've talked with Jim but have never seen the kits in person, it's super neat seeing them come together. Students were worried it would be too easy after the minimal amount of barrel work, but the buttplates and side plates are keeping them busy!

Mike and Wayne are encouraging everyone to get the parts on and set today so they can focus on the carving, engraving and getting a nice finish for the rest of the week.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »
Anyone had to pull weeds yet?

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 10:40:42 PM »

Hopefully the world is in a better place next year Bob, would love to meet up.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 10:42:37 PM »

We will be just about ready to shoot by dinner time at this rate! Students are finishing up their patch boxes and fitting their ramrod pipes now, soon they’ll be fitting their locks and draw filing their barrels.

It’s wonderful to chat with each student about their connection with muzzleloading. 6/8 are building their first muzzleloader. Some are accomplishing retirement goals, others connecting with family history, and one is seeking to add some challenge to squirrel hunting season.

These might all start as the same kits, but they are influenced by the builder and their history just as any muzzleloader is.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 11:21:08 PM »

Hopefully the world is in a better place next year Bob, would love to meet up.

Definitely Ethan. Looking forward to it.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 01:45:37 AM »

Here’s a shot of the student’s longrifles at the end of day 1 of the Kibler Kit Assembly class with Mike Brooks.

We wrapped up just before 5pm this evening, both the students and instructors were losing the high of the first day excitement.

We’re gathered back in the Education Center for a presentation of high quality photographs of original flintlocks to take inspiration from as they complete assembly and begin finishing.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 06:47:20 AM »
It's good to see what is going on with the class!  Thanks for posting.  Looks like a good time for all.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »

Day 2 of the Kibler Kit Assembly class with Mike Brooks is well underway.

Mike spent part of the morning helping a student modify the Colonial Kit to include a set trigger, while Wayne showed others the delicate techinique of draw filing.

We’re getting ready for “lock disassembly 101” now. Later this afternoon, some students will begin sanding their stocks and drawing out their carving details, while others are preparing to begin “rusting” their mountain rifle hardware.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »

Yesterday, Wayne showed us a neat way to add some character to the cheek piece. He completed this in 18 minutes and it looks great.

Offline snapper

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 10:15:58 PM »
Looking good!

Ethan, keep an eye on those two guys for me.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2020, 12:54:53 AM »
Thanks for all the updates and pictures.  Looks like everyone is doing a great job! 

Jim

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 12:58:04 AM »
Awesome, looks like a groovy time!

I am eagerly awaiting my Kibler’s SMR kit in cherry’s wood.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2020, 01:26:53 AM »
I bet these guys learn more in a few days than I did for years on my own.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 02:03:29 AM »
Is Mike cranking Rob Zombie while he teaches?  Both of those guys are two of the best I’ve had the pleasure to meet.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2020, 07:41:46 AM »
Great to see you here Ethan!

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2020, 04:38:39 PM »
Students are practicing carving this morning on some extra stocks before they begin cutting on their proper Kibler stocks. Others are finishing up the whiskering process, and more are giving their hardware a nice filed and sanded finish. We had a couple accidents yesterday, but Mike and Wayne stepped in cool as cucumbers and saved the day. It was neat to watch, as I'm sure I'd mess up the same, and now know how to fix it!

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »
Awesome, looks like a groovy time!

I am eagerly awaiting my Kibler’s SMR kit in cherry’s wood.

Oh boy, I bet it looks real good in cherry!

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 10:01:27 PM »
With two of the southern mountain rifle kits ready to stain, Mike Brooks took some time to engrave the names of each builder into the top of the barrel, as is traditionally done with longrifles.

These students are now experimenting with metal finish as they use two different browning techniques while their stocks soak up more tung oil.
Students building the Colonial Kit are adding a finish to their brass hardware and penciling out the carving for their stocks.

The stained Souther Mountain Kits both opted for Kibler's Iron Nitrate finish with a yellow undercoat. They have diverged now in browning techniques, it will be neat to watch these develop over the coming days.

One student, assembling the colonial kit, is focusing more on the finishing and carving of his stock. This is the 3rd or 4th rifle he's built but hasn't been happy with carving before. After practicing yesterday and this morning, he's moved onto his final stock and it's coming along nicely!

We're at the halfway point of the class and Wayne brought out some of his favorite cookies to boost morale as we head into the 2nd half.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2020, 12:54:37 AM »
  @!*% that looks like a Great time, like icing on the cake. I can see these classes going on for a long time. Thanks for the Pix.

Tim C.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2020, 05:26:14 PM »

With one day left, students are hustling to finish the final major additions of carving, stain, and hardware finishing to their rifles. You can put these together in about a day, but the pretty work does take time. Students opting to brown their hardware are moving back and forth between their bench and outside as they apply continuous coats of finish. Colonial kit students are finishing carving and beginning preperation for stain. “Doc” is adding tung oil to his rifle already. He upgraded to a very nice piece of curly maple and it was well worth the extra cost, the rifle is beautiful.

In more happy news, we had a stock fracture on an old break and the patch set last night, the student is moving on to sanding and finishing now! I joked that I would have been very distraught and probably would have thrown the wood in the fire in frustration, but he showed me the curl on his cheek piece and it is going to be another beauty, well worth the work of saving it.