Author Topic: 2020 Kibler Kit Class with Mike Brooks at the NMLRA | Update Thread  (Read 10260 times)

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
Re: 2020 Kibler Kit Class with Mike Brooks at the NMLRA | Update Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 12:18:45 AM »
What do you think of the curl on this stock? WOW. Came out great, right? There’s quite the story for this build, but it will have to wait.

It’s the end of Day 4 and we’re all tired, but happy. Rifles are really coming together and everyone is grinning like a kid on Christmas. Tonight, images of flintlocks trekking through the woods will dance in their dreams as they work towards final assembly tomorrow.

Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »
It’s the morning of Day 5 and it’s all coming together.

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 06:26:57 PM »

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 02:11:29 AM »
Great class! Great students! Great fun! I’m exhausted. Let’s get another one going!!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:27:11 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline snapper

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2020, 02:36:55 AM »
Wayne

I got to know, did you sit on the porch to the wee hours telling lies and enjoy a cold drink?

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2020, 03:43:37 AM »
Nope. Too tired. I was tucked away in bed by 9:00 each night. I’m not a pup anymore. We put in 8 hour days each day. About 3-4 more hours than I would put in a day in my shop.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2020, 03:50:48 AM »
  Wayne I understand the pup thing...Worked in my shop 6 hours...getting old is not fun.... Glad you had a good time..
  Oldtravler

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2020, 05:16:08 AM »
  Wayne I understand the pup thing...Worked in my shop 6 hours...getting old is not fun.... Glad you had a good time..
  Oldtravler
Mike, Let me reword your statement that getting old is not fun, getting old is fun, being old is not fun.
David

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 03:01:52 AM »
Here are photos of 7/8 of the finished rifles. #8 snuck out before I could grab him, but he was building a colonial kit and focusing on the carving, I believe the photos of carving from Tuesday night are his.

One student has already had his out shooting and squirrel hunting. Thanks to everyone whos read and commented, it was a great week.

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 03:50:07 AM »
I've said it before in other posts, but I'm going to repeat it here. In pics when someone is holding a SMR it really puts in perspective how slim and slender they really are! Great rifles by all.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2020, 04:01:52 AM »
Excellent job guys! Thanks Ethan!

Yea, LMeadows, if you don't love a slender southern rifle, as we say down here, there's somethin' the matter.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2020, 04:17:56 AM »
Looks like it was a great success. Even saw a poured nose cap. Congratulations to all.

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 06:04:41 AM »
Excellent job guys! Thanks Ethan!

Yea, LMeadows, if you don't love a slender southern rifle, as we say down here, there's somethin' the matter.

Bob I'm a greenhorn to all things muzzleloader, had a "hawken copy" but that's it! I'm hoping the CLA show is held so I can handle a few.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »
Looks like it was a great success. Even saw a poured nose cap. Congratulations to all.
That poured nose cap was a surprise. The student brought pure pewter and a torch. No ladle. We improvised with a threaded galvanized plug. It poured first try! No blowouts!! We looked like geniuses.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline snapper

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 03:59:46 PM »
I can tell you that I am very happy that Mike and Wayne taught this class for us at the NMLRA.  Classes like this are exactly what we should be doing in the Ed Building.   That is one of my goals to get more things happening.

By buddy Rick Weber and I this year finished a cabin that is very close to the Ed Building.  We are donating the use of the cabin and allowing instructors for the NMLRA to stay in our cabin at no charge as part of the deal (as long as we are not using it)  It is good for everyone.   

Mike and Wayne I think are already thinking about some more classes.

How about you guys that do horns?  Bags?   Others?   

If interested let me know.

afleener@nmlra.org

Fleener

Offline snapper

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2020, 04:01:23 PM »
Mike and Wayne

Feel free to give your honest comments as it relates to teaching the class, facilities and working with the NMLRA staff.

Fleener

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
The class was absolutely outstanding. Mike & Wayne went above and beyond simply teaching assembly of the kits. They gave 100% of themselves to the students every minute of every day. It was my rifle that broke and that got the pewter cap....the pour and the repair were both handled without drama as though it was just another part of the build....I guess if you're gonna break a stock that's the place to do it because the repair is all but invisible and the nose cap is flawless.

I can't recommend this enough. The facilities were great. The class size was just right. The entire experience was well worth the price of admission. I'd return readily for a build from scratch course or anything else these 2 were willing to offer.

Thank you both for expanding my base of knowledge and for a great experience.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »
Beautiful rifles!  Looks like the class was a big success.  Thanks for all the updates and photos.

All the best,
Jim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2020, 11:44:10 PM »
The class was absolutely outstanding. Mike & Wayne went above and beyond simply teaching assembly of the kits. They gave 100% of themselves to the students every minute of every day. It was my rifle that broke and that got the pewter cap....the pour and the repair were both handled without drama as though it was just another part of the build....I guess if you're gonna break a stock that's the place to do it because the repair is all but invisible and the nose cap is flawless.

I can't recommend this enough. The facilities were great. The class size was just right. The entire experience was well worth the price of admission. I'd return readily for a build from scratch course or anything else these 2 were willing to offer.

Thank you both for expanding my base of knowledge and for a great experience.
I'm glad you liked it John. Look for a 'build from a blank" class next year. We'll be doing another kibler class too.
 I thought it all came off really well, Housing is no longer an issue and the tavern in town serves meals noon and supper. Plus adult refreshment. I'm not sure I'd take on more than 8 students at a time, it's really all Wayne and I can handle.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2020, 05:49:21 AM »
Mike & Wayne,
The results of your great instruction and the fun those guys looked like they had makes me wish you were doing another this year but will have to wait til next. Already looking forward to it! The ideas of a build from blank would be a fantastic opportunity to learn architecture from the best and how to put it all together into a finished gun. Congratulations to all the guys who made it this year. Mike and Wayne, take a well deserved rest and be proud of the knowledge you all shared with all the students.
elkhorne

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2020, 06:21:26 AM »
Looks like fun. Wish I could have made it up a day to visit.

Online Stoner creek

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2020, 03:06:53 PM »
Looks like fun. Wish I could have made it up a day to visit.
We would have put you to work!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2020, 04:58:47 PM »
Mike & Wayne,
The results of your great instruction and the fun those guys looked like they had makes me wish you were doing another this year but will have to wait til next. Already looking forward to it! The ideas of a build from blank would be a fantastic opportunity to learn architecture from the best and how to put it all together into a finished gun. Congratulations to all the guys who made it this year. Mike and Wayne, take a well deserved rest and be proud of the knowledge you all shared with all the students.
elkhorne
Thanks!  I excel at resting. ;)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Yazel.xring

• I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2020, 03:00:17 PM »
Mike and Wayne may have been resting  ;), but the bossman as been cracking the whip on me to get these videos out. 

Adding all the clips together from Day 1 came out to about an hour, but after cleaning things up (and getting Wayne through some CG hair and make up as requested) we got er close to 30 minutes. It's not a step by step process, but I hope watching allows you to see the various techniques and processes used by each student and instructor.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:10:35 PM by EYazel »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2020, 04:36:23 PM »
Wayne's hair and make up were marvelous!  The first day we did lunch at the tavern and the waitress asked us if we were together . Wayne answered in his Big Wayne voice " Yes, he's my gay lover!" ;D Kind of set the mood for our tavern trips the rest of the week. Friendship tavern probably misses  us....and our money. Also, I was making sure to puff out my belly when ever the camera was on so I looked well feed.  ;)