Author Topic: Wonder about "Wonderlube"  (Read 2759 times)

Offline canadianml1

Wonder about "Wonderlube"
« on: August 23, 2020, 12:28:46 AM »
I have some Wonderlube in a tub and in a tube left over from my earlier days (80s and 90s) when shooting my 54 cal Hawken. Since the containers are filled I presume that I never used it at all. I can only remember using prelubed patches. Anyone know anything about this stuff or should I chuck it?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Wonder about "Wonderlube"
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 01:05:24 AM »
While not a particularly desirable lube for many shooters it will still serve that function.  I don't like/use it but I have on occasion years ago.  Use it and see if it's to your liking, no reason letting it go to waste.  Otherwise gift it to another shooter who will use it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 02:45:43 AM »
Many shooters used that stuff for a while at our club, but eventually gave up on it. Barrels ended up needing a real good scrubbing due to build up of nasty fouling after a period of time. We just didn't find that it lived up to it's claims , especially for those who bought into the " seasoning the bore" practice.
Track of the Wolf's mink oil is cheaper, and far better IMO

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 03:18:18 AM »
I threw the Wonderlube out and used the plastic jar it came in for mixing my mink oil and oil of the day.  I have one of those coffee cup warmers that works great for heating small containers.  You can adjust the mixture ratio the way you want in small batches or dip your patches in the melted lube..
Brice Stultz

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 03:35:16 AM »
Many shooters used that stuff for a while at our club, but eventually gave up on it. Barrels ended up needing a real good scrubbing due to build up of nasty fouling after a period of time. We just didn't find that it lived up to it's claims , especially for those who bought into the " seasoning the bore" practice.
Track of the Wolf's mink oil is cheaper, and far better IMO

Bob,  Fun part of that is that Ox-Joke never shot it for there tests out in open fields or woods.  All of their shooting was in a ballistics building where it was climate controlled.  Relative humidity kept at 30% where you can't get rusting or corrosion with black powder or Pyrodex residue.  They did all of their shooting in the ballistic building because the strict climate control did not give ballistic variations that relate to different temperatures and humidity.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »
I used the stuff for over a decade. I only stopped because of the gunk buildup in the bore. I use it now for my 1st shot when deer season starts. The reason I  use it is because loaded in a clean barrel it has never rusted down in the chamber area, no matter how long it has been loaded.
My deer rifle sights are set at 50 yards with 80 grains of 3fg. Just load and go hunt.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 03:54:06 PM »
I threw mine in the trash can a long time ago.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 11:03:38 PM »
I’ve never been impressed with it. Just doesn’t keep the fouling as soft as I like.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 05:01:36 AM »
I used it until I tried mink oil, infact I thought it was better than bore butter. Now mink oil, no more seasoning,no more wonder lube, no more bore butter.

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 08:22:43 PM »
The responses on this thread confirm what I was advised on another thread on lubes..........................MINK OIL! So Mink Oil it is for me.......no more doubt!

Thanks to all that contributed.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 06:53:55 AM »
I prefer a mink’s oil.

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 12:57:30 AM »
I have used wonder lube for years and love it.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 01:25:05 AM »
The last post just shows ya.... one out of 10 like the stuff.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 02:05:42 AM »
Now mink oil is causing hardships:  Can you picture dumping a batch of mink into a big vat, then hearing them yell as the oil is pressed out of them?

But they all rejoice when you turn them into the chicken coop, and they get busy filling up their oil vats once again!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 06:16:20 PM »
I used the TC 1000+ when if first came out.  I had excellent results with it and never had a fouling build up, but then again, I have always wiped between shots no matter what the load or lube.  I recognized the bull pucky of the "seasoning" claims immediately upon reading it and never even considered using it as such.

I introduced a club member to it back in 1988 and he still uses it and swears by it.  His record of wins in our club shoots shows that it doesn't hurt accuracy.  He is also a wipe after every shot guy and never bought into the "seasoning" claim.

I quit using it when the price got to being a bit ridiculous.  My current lube works great at a cost of about $1.50 for 16 ounces.
Mike Lee

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 08:49:52 PM »
Longcruise,
So what is that magic mixture?
In His grip,

Dane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 07:08:11 AM »
Two hydrogen to one oxygen.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 07:43:51 AM »
Taylor,
I guess that is about what one pays for bottled water now days.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline J Henry

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »
   I've used Wonder Lube from Georgia to Maine never had a problem !! and I shoot Pyrodex, ff/ fff ,could it be I shoot a capper ??

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2020, 07:22:12 PM »
Bottled water is more expensive than gasoline at the pump.  Bottled water:  I don't get it?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.