Author Topic: Barrel Identification  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Skirmisher

Barrel Identification
« on: August 23, 2020, 03:53:27 AM »
A couple of years ago I bought an Indiana fullstock rifle that had been rebarreled in .32 caliber.  It is the sweetest shooting barrel I ever shot.  I would like to figure out who made the barrel

This thing is rifled with 7 narrow grooves that look to be sbout half the width of the lands.  Twist is fast, as 21 grains of Swiss will do a one hole group at 25 yards and an inch at 50 yards.  There are no marks, but the muzzle is stamped with a circle of what appear to be small clover-shsped marks in a circle around the bore.  Does this ring any bells with guys who are accustomed to modern barrels?  Thanks !

Offline heinz

Re: Barrel Identification
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 04:10:21 PM »
Sounds like it could be a "Golden Age" barrel out of the Golden Age Arms Gun Shop in Ohio.  Jim Johnston used to have Douglas make up some fairly fast twist 7 groove barrels for him.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:21:46 PM »
Shoots like a Golden Age, but I don't recollect the little clover stamps around the muzzle.  I built a rifle around a .45 Golden Age back around 1977 and it was a tack driver also.  Nice barrel, anyhow.

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 12:25:41 AM »
Take the barrel out and look for a logo.
Brice Stultz

Offline heinz

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 02:10:00 AM »
The clover muzzle stamps were likely put there by the gun builder, not the barrel maker
kind regards, heinz