Author Topic: A gift from a friend.......  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Bigmon

A gift from a friend.......
« on: August 27, 2020, 12:03:47 AM »
An old HS pal gave me this yesterday.  I think it was maybe once a flintlock and also has had the barrel either cut shorter or replaced.  But the original seems to have been a nice rifle at one time.  It pretty much fell apart in my hands.  But it has carving and moulding, as well as engraving and a nice patchbox still pretty much intact.  I can find no writing anywhere.  There are some marks on the bottom barrel flat that might mean something to an expert.  The barrel is 38 1/2" by about 40 cal by a little over 7/8" across the flats.
I welcome any comments or opinions. I have more pics if interested.   

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: A gift from a friend.......
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 12:21:33 AM »
 Pretty cool, Good old Pa. Looks like it never got far from home based on your location.

Tim C.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 12:34:07 AM »
Nice rifle. Looks pretty intact to me. What fell apart?  What’s marked on barrel. Nice patchbox that should be identifiable.  Great gift. Hope to see it at the shows some day. Did you check the patch boxes book?  Looks familiar
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 01:06:54 AM »
A dandy.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 03:56:10 AM »
The fore part of the stock is broken totally off just ahead of the trigger guard. The only thing holding the barrel to the stock is the tang bolt and the breech plug can be removed by fingers. But it all sort of sticks together well enough to look pretty decent. It is well worn but there has been a lot of repairs over the years

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 04:45:07 AM »
Resto candidate
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 09:39:03 PM »
Any ideas on a maker?  Might that patch box indicate anyone?
There is no writing I can find but there are some "X"'s on the bottom barrel flat?
I am wondering if I should try and repair the stock or leave as is.  I know that I could not repair without repairs being evident?

Thanks

dogbest

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 12:14:24 AM »
I'd try to find a stock expert who can glue the stock back together.
Looks like the gun can be a nice piece!

Offline far55

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 04:27:49 AM »
Check out this site  http://hampshirecountylongrifles.blogspot.com/  Scroll down and check out the 2nd rifle's patchbox.    I know nothing about W.V. guns, just happened upon the site. May or may not be any connection.  Roland

Offline Levy

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 07:19:18 AM »
The trigger guard and the side plate remind me of Bedford Cty rifles.  Maybe some place close enough to have been influenced by them.  James Levy
James Levy