Author Topic: witch hazel and its use?  (Read 3685 times)

Offline adkmountainken

witch hazel and its use?
« on: August 30, 2020, 03:14:05 AM »
ok i know many people use witch hazel in their cleaning because of its fast drying qualities so i would love to hear some recommendations or tips on how to use it.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: witch hazel and its use?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 04:36:48 PM »
 Really “many people use Witch Hazel for cleaning” well you’re the first I heard of. I imagine its just a matter of time before somebody starts touting Preperation H for cleaning, because it tightens up your groups. I have been shooting black powder for over forty years, and went through all the different concoctions being touted as the cats meow for cleaning muzzleloaders and finally found out the old timers were right all along. The big secret is cold water, and plenty of it. I pour the barrel full, let it sit for fifteen, or twenty minutes, pour it out, refill it, and shake it back and forth a little. Pour it out, then run four or five dry patches through it,  followed by one oil saturated patch, any your done.

Hungry Horse

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 05:51:45 PM »
i have saw it a few times listed as an ingredient in moose milk but then again there are a million different versions of moose milk.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 05:59:44 PM »
Hungry Horse is right, we don,t need to reinvent the wheel here. Yes the old timers including Harris Holland of Holland and Holland were right, cold water and dry patches.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »
I use witch hazel in the bathroom.

Got no use for it in the gun room or the range.

FWIW the USP defined witch hazel is about 14% alcohol as I recall.  Don't have a fresh bottle at present. 

It's a mild astringent and makes rough and ready TP into nice and comfy TP.  for those who wanted TMI.  :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 06:56:20 PM »
Until now, I had only heard of it's use in the wet shaving world.
Psalms 144

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 07:08:32 PM »
wow LOL i am not reinventing the wheel i have used the same "moose Milk" forumla for 35 years now and do not in tend to change as it works great. i was just curious as i know i have saw it mentioned a few places ( that i cant find now) as an aid in cleaning and was curious. didn't mean to ruffle tail feathers buy simply asking a question....by the way i have used plain old water often as well BUT "moose milk" works GREAT for me.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »
Would you care to post your moose milk recipe? I used to use it but can't remember what all I put in it.

Offline Maven

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 08:28:28 PM »
Just google "uses for witch hazel" and you'll get plenty of information, but nothing about using it in Moose Milk.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 02:34:43 AM »
Sounds like yet another poisonous ingredient in this weeks witch’s brew of dubious utility.

I stick with water for cleaning and (edited) jojoba or bear’s oil for protecting the metal. Just as out ancestors did. Works GREAT for me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 02:53:59 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 10:59:26 AM »
wow LOL i am not reinventing the wheel i have used the same "moose Milk" forumla for 35 years now and do not in tend to change as it works great. i was just curious as i know i have saw it mentioned a few places ( that i cant find now) as an aid in cleaning and was curious. didn't mean to ruffle tail feathers buy simply asking a question....by the way i have used plain old water often as well BUT "moose milk" works GREAT for me.
Not to worry Pard. You carry on and ask away when you have a question.
I believe some folks just come here to "get ruffled".   
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 06:47:24 PM »
Until now, I had only heard of it's use in the wet shaving world.

Yes, it's a lovely aftershave if a fellow wants to avoid scented up stuff. I used it for such many times, great natural aroma that quickly fades.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Maineshops

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »
Anybody tried cool mist?

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 01:11:54 AM »
I use witch-hazel when camping in the winter to wash up with. Soak a rag with it and clean the face and hair and ears amongst other things.  It is a natural astringent.  I can see it working by itself for cleaning.  But it is much more expensive than water.

Bob

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 11:21:15 PM »
Real men don’t shave.  8)

Offline AZshot

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 09:04:04 PM »
I'm making some sourdough starter this week. You have to pour out and discard most of it every feeding.  Will that work for cleaning?

But seriously, I used to use hot water, maybe a dash of soap of some kind.
I found hot is a mistake, flash rust.  Now I've learned tap water temp, and nothing else really needed.  I do as said above: Pour some in (at the range usually) and pour it out on the ground until it isn't so green and black.  Then take a dry patch to it.  When home, I may use some damp patches for a while, alternating with dry.  Then oil.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:15:40 PM by AZshot »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 12:17:01 AM »
"The big secret is cold water, and plenty of it."

Dang it Hungry Horse, now you went and told the secret.  Let the horse out of the barn you did.   ;)

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 03:49:28 AM »
It’s not just the crusty curmudgeons and old cantankerous’s that know the truth!

Yep, plain AICH TEW OOH is the best cleaner of the black powder musket loaders!!

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 06:47:52 PM »
What Hungry Horse said...

Nuff said.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 08:42:48 PM »
Real men don’t shave.  8)

Tell that to the Marines.  ;D
Psalms 144

arcticap

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 06:10:24 PM »
stumpkillers "Stumpy's Moose Juice" - A general purpose blackpowder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated if available) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.
---------------------

When asked about the purpose of the Witch Hazel, stumpkillers reply has been:

"The witch hazel causes the oil to smear rather than bead and makes a more even coating on the clean steel. When I did my outdoor steel-plate rust tests of different concoctions it seemed to make a difference in where the rust would get a foot-hold. Think of it as a vegetable oil in an alcohol suspension that also helps the castor oil go into solution with the water."

And:

"When I do use a liquid lube I make six foot strips of patching and dip them in the liquid lube, let it dry overnight on waxed paper, then repeat. The alcohol evaporates off . . . but it's job was to hold the castor oil dissolved and in suspension with the other components, so once the cotton is saturated it can leave.

Soap dissolves in water. Castor oil dissolves in alcohol. Witch hazel (an astringent) keeps them from separating as quickly when used together, and I found in smear tests with a bit of soft soap helps the castor oil to stick to the barrel metal.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 06:14:18 PM by arcticap »

Offline adkmountainken

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
well hot dam look at that!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2020, 07:40:40 PM »
Well, thats about as far away from the old “Moose Milk” recipe as one can get. Water, water soluble oil, and a splash of 409, is the recipe I used before my brain matured, and I went with what our forefathers used.

Hungry Horse

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2020, 08:02:53 PM »
stumpkillers "Stumpy's Moose Juice" - A general purpose blackpowder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated if available) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry laid flat on wax paper in between. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.
---------------------

When asked about the purpose of the Witch Hazel, stumpkillers reply has been:

"The witch hazel causes the oil to smear rather than bead and makes a more even coating on the clean steel. When I did my outdoor steel-plate rust tests of different concoctions it seemed to make a difference in where the rust would get a foot-hold. Think of it as a vegetable oil in an alcohol suspension that also helps the castor oil go into solution with the water."

And:

"When I do use a liquid lube I make six foot strips of patching and dip them in the liquid lube, let it dry overnight on waxed paper, then repeat. The alcohol evaporates off . . . but it's job was to hold the castor oil dissolved and in suspension with the other components, so once the cotton is saturated it can leave.

Soap dissolves in water. Castor oil dissolves in alcohol. Witch hazel (an astringent) keeps them from separating as quickly when used together, and I found in smear tests with a bit of soft soap helps the castor oil to stick to the barrel metal.

Not often you find some good explanation and reasoning behind these often hairbrained wonder mixtures. Good job.

I’ll keep using spit and deer tallow, though.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 03:25:15 AM »
Save the almost empty bottle with about a 1/4" left.  If you have  a problem with gnats, pop the lid open and let it sit open.  The gnats are attracted to it, enter and die.