Author Topic: Flint knapping Bob McBride U-tube  (Read 1892 times)

Offline MuskratMike

Flint knapping Bob McBride U-tube
« on: August 31, 2020, 06:52:00 PM »
Seems like every couple of months there is a thread on flint knapping. Everybody's buddy Bob McBride has just posted the best video ever on flints and flint knapping on his You-/\Tube Black Powder TV series. it covers how to choose your flint, how to orient the flint, flint leathers and of course knapping the flint. A great video no matter whether your an old hand at this or a new guy. Take 10 minutes and watch the video.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline wolf

Re: Flint knapping Bob McBride U-tube
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 02:47:58 AM »
it is a good video! I love Bobs videos,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline canadianml1

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 03:09:44 AM »
Me Too!!

Offline Terry Reynolds

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 07:15:52 PM »
Thanks Bob!

The other day i was milling around house and the wife asked me what was wrong, I said "Bob hasn't posted a new video yet"........she rolls her eyes and walks in the other room.....she just doesn't get it!!! LOL
aka “digger658”

Offline RANGER94

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 07:48:39 PM »
They are wonderful. Very addictive. Completely well done!!!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 07:28:27 PM »
A link would be nice!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 07:56:06 PM »

Offline BrianS

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 11:46:28 PM »
very informative. thanks!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 02:52:06 AM »
That was a good video, Bob. Thanks.
Another way, a quicker way of knapping the flint is to use the bottom edge/corner of the frizzen against the flint's edge. Oft times, there will be a rounded, hard spot on the
flint that is preventing the flint from striking sparks off the frizzen.  This method works well with English or French flints. The Missouri Chert, being harder/tougher
this method is less successful.  Bring the cock to 1/2 bent and with the other hand lower the frizzen and meet the front edge of the flint, and push down on
the frizzen. With English and French flints this is all the knapping needed - usually, and is much faster & easier to do that to fishing out your knapping hammer or rod.
This is only a suggestion and is the first method I use- always, when needing attention to my flint's edge.
As the bottom of the frizzen is square to the rifle, this usually results in a perfectly square angle of the front of the flint.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 03:02:26 AM »
That was a good video, Bob. Thanks.
Another way, a quicker way of knapping the flint is to use the bottom edge/corner of the frizzen against the flint's edge. Oft times, there will be a rounded, hard spot on the
flint that is preventing the flint from striking sparks off the frizzen.  This method works well with English or French flints. The Missouri Chert, being harder/tougher
this method is less successful.  Bring the cock to 1/2 bent and with the other hand lower the frizzen and meet the front edge of the flint, and push down on
the frizzen. With English and French flints this is all the knapping needed - usually, and is much faster & easier to do that to fishing out your knapping hammer or rod.
This is only a suggestion and is the first method I use- always, when needing attention to my flint's edge.
As the bottom of the frizzen is square to the rifle, this usually results in a perfectly square angle of the front of the flint.

Thanks Daryl. I always considered that way of knapping as a ‘situational’ way to knap, but your post made me decide to look into it as a plausible way to do it in when time is an issue, which I find it often is, especially squirrel hunting. Though I’ve discussed that system several times I’ve never really tried it or considered it a day to day way to do it, but as I respect you and your experience I’m going to look at that a bit closer. If I can make it buy me a dozen extra shots or so I’ll do a video on the ‘Sapergia Method’. Thanks.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 03:36:14 AM »
Well, thanks, but it isn't my method. I saw it on another video, or perhaps expressed here by someone and though - hey- gotta try that.
Now, it's my first go-to method when using English blacks or French ambers.as well as the white ones, but usually end up getting out the
little hammer Taylor makes.  I've a few of those as well as the notched steel one. The frizzen method usually gets me through the rest of
the trail.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V