Author Topic: New Knives and Sheaths  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Marcruger

New Knives and Sheaths
« on: August 31, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »
Hi Folks,

I just finished two sheaths for two recent knives by Robert Hill.  The first is a large full tang rifleman's knife with pewter bolsters and bone handles.  I really appreciate the graceful lines and clean details.  I made my first center-seam sheath for this one.  I learned a lot, and perhaps it didn't come out too bad.  I know what I'll do different next time.  The top of the sheath resembles a "frog" for a bayonet. 

The second knife is a diminutive patch knife with a damascus forged blade by Robert.  Robert added a mini-pistol grip handle of some curly maple that is special to me.  I made a mini-side seam sheath to match.  I appreciate the pewter bolster work.

I wonder why the old timers made center seam sheaths?  They obviously had to first make a side seam sheath before turning it?  I don't personally see the advantages of a center seam sheath over a side seam sheath. 

I will let Robert fill you in on the details of his knife work. 

Hope y'all enjoy the pictures.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
Re: New Knives and Sheaths
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 09:41:24 PM »
Those are beauties Marc and Mr. Hill is as good as they get.  Those setups surely are show stoppers.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 09:45:11 PM »
Thanks Mike.   

Just to be clear, the knives are by Robert W. Hill V, Bob Hill's (the III) grandson.  At 17 he is turning out this accomplished work.  What will he be like when he is an old coot like me?  His dad Walter has also turned out a big batch of lovely knives this summer.   

God Bless,   Marc

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 09:45:59 PM »
Knife can’t cut stitches on a side seam sheath. I know, I know. With a good welt it shouldn’t happen anyway.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 09:46:19 PM »
Wow Marc. Right on.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 01:37:48 AM »
 Nice work Marc, think we need to talk about something for that Pratt again. I just need to get it to you.

Tim

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 04:04:56 PM »
Marc, super nice!  Is the tip on the larger sheath an overlay, or is it just tooled in?  I’m digging the keeper strap/button stud arrangement, too.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 05:12:14 PM »
Yes Greg, that is an applied leather tip.  It is 2-3 ounce leather that's a bit stretchy.  Helps when you fold and stitch the sheath.  Leave extra along the sides or you'll end up short when folded.  I trimmed after stitching.  Thank you for the kind words.  I think I am going to make a side-seam, welted sheath for this knife too.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 05:17:18 PM »
Tim, I am happy to make you a sheath buddy.  Marc

Offline old george

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »
That second knife is a real beauty and those sheaths sett off those knives. Well done marc.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 06:25:58 PM »
Great work.  I really like the second one.  Looks like a very handy tool.

Cory Joe Stewart

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 02:21:01 AM »
They do look good paired with a sheath.
-Robert

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »
I had a question about the overall size of the patch knife.  I think this photo puts it in perspective.  God Bless,   Marc

instagram url download

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »
Knife can’t cut stitches on a side seam sheath. I know, I know. With a good welt it shouldn’t happen anyway.
    Yes, and that eliminates a step in construction since no welt is needed. If the seam is pounded, or pressed  flat, the stitches are greatly protected from external wear also.

Eseabee1

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 05:24:07 PM »
Very nice

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 12:30:26 AM »
Thank you Wick.  I am still at that stage where laying out the pattern for these center-seam sheaths is challenging.  For someone of your experience, talent and wisdom, I am sure it is old hat.  Your stellar sheaths/scabbards were a great inspiration. 

I was worried when I made this Center-Seam one that I cut it maybe 1/8" to 1/4" too big.  It was discouragingly loose when turned.  After it thoroughly dried over a few days, it shrunk until it fits great now.  Hard to know how to plan for that in advance, what with differing hides. 

I also cut off and rebuilt the "frog" or top belt loop part with heavier leather after I posted this.  I like it a lot better now, though it looks similar. 

I have to say, by the time I crafted the sheath and "frog", there was a lot more time in this one than a side-seam sheath.  I am anticipating that will get better over time. 

Thank you again for your wisdom sir.   God Bless,   Marc

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 12:44:15 AM »
These look very professional and I second that Wick is a true treasure of wealth.