Author Topic: A shooting bag that will also carry a Bear pistol  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
A shooting bag that will also carry a Bear pistol
« on: September 01, 2020, 02:46:18 AM »
I'm not sure anything like this was done in the period but I'm considering a way to carry an 18.25" long .54 caliber rifled pistol that is not typical. I'm considering making a leather hunting bag for the pistol, to be worn opposite my hunting pouch and perhaps pistol shaped but larger than a holster and loose on the pistol with an internal pocket for balls and such, or perhaps just a deep rectangle 20" deep or so and perhaps 6" wide. The holster/bag will be big and loose enough on the pistol to act as a shooting bag for the pistol when the pistol is out of the bag and in hand. It will be used practically as I'm determined to take the pistol deer hunting along with my rifle to take those 20y deer. Thoughts? Ideas?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 03:42:31 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline Elnathan

Re: A shooting bag that will also carry a Bear pistol
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 02:53:59 AM »
Make a shooting bag and hang the holster on the back like a knife sheath or hatchet.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 03:03:12 AM »
Make a shooting bag and hang the holster on the back like a knife sheath or hatchet.

That's sort of what I'm thinking but more a single unit. I don't know, I might be out of my gourd....

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 03:12:40 AM »
A shoulder’s holster like I posted is period and would work ideally paired with a small bag. Seems a bag with loose things about (balls etc) might bang up the wood of the pistol after a while of walking? Not sure.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 03:26:01 AM »
How about on your back like a bow and arrow quiver? Just reach over your shoulder to draw. Attach a small bag on the front to help balance the weight. Quite sure it's not period but fun to think about!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 03:32:23 AM »
How about on your back like a bow and arrow quiver? Just reach over your shoulder to draw. Attach a small bag on the front to help balance the weight. Quite sure it's not period but fun to think about!

That is a fun idea. I'll be leaning up against a tree in the deer stand or on the ground so it may not be practical but it could be spun around and then it'd be right to hand....

Panzer, I've been chewing on that and I think perhaps a loose pocket to one side instead of on the rear of the bag might serve to hold the pistol a bit and also hold anything that might otherwise be in the bottom of the bag and come in contact with the pistol.... that is something to consider..

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 03:44:29 AM »
Let us know what you work out I have a Daniel Casey bear pistol looking for a solution.

Dan

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 03:50:47 AM »
Let us know what you work out I have a Daniel Casey bear pistol looking for a solution.

Ooh, daddy likes. That's the thing about these isn't it? Carrying them practically and conveniently. I have a lyman belt bag that I wear on the small of my back and use to carry my primer, pistol balls etc. But with this new pistol, my EK, and an Emig on the bench a single solution for the various caliber pistols will no longer work. I'm thinking I'm going to go this route with a pouch that will carry the pistol and all it's accoutrements for each pistol. Perhaps even something like this....

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 03:57:46 AM by Bob McBride »

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 07:36:31 AM »
Bob: search here on ALR "bear pistol shoulder holster" by David Rase from June of this year. The original is found in the book "The Gillespie Gunmakers of East Fork NC" by Dennis  Glazener. This holster and a belt bag should cover it. I tried to get David to make a second one for me but couldn't. He is more than happy to tell you how he did it or download the pictures to your favorite leather maker. Seriously cool holster. Stays out of the way, dry and ready to use.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:49:41 AM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 01:35:25 PM »
Bob...
Taking heed of some of the advice here, you might want to consider something like this;

You probably want veg tanned cowhide about 6-7 or 7-8 ounce.  Because this gun is going to be somewhat heavy on the carry, cow will support it without a lot of flapping around that more supple leathers will induce.

Assuming you are carrying opposite your strong side, perhaps put a little cant in the holster part of this rig..
If you are likely to need this in a hurry, cross draws will sit better, come out a little easier, and will hang like a sword without the length.

You might consider two back-to-back pieces, stitched and wet molded to the pistol which is put into the pouch in a plastic bag.

As far as your poke goes,  think about the carry on the trail.  A couple of pouches might do and, for that matter, a thicker shoulder strap can hold little poke bags.  Maybe build them separate and attach, maybe build them on the piece itself, wet molded or with softer leather...your call by your comfort.

For that matter, depending on how you feel when trying this out, you might get away with belt straps.

I think that every man a cobbler stuff I posted spent time with wet molding toward the end of the series.
Um juss sayn

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 03:52:48 PM »

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 04:14:50 PM »
I’ve been thinking of making myself a “bear pistol” as well...because, dang it, they are just so cool.  Earlier in my life I did quite a bit of hunting with long barreled pistols...a 12” SBH revolver and  TC Super 14 Contender. I took a page from Larry Kelley’s book, and put slings on them. They were too darn awkward to pack around any other way.

I think a sling swivel up front, and a button on the bottom of the grip would work a treat...with a belt pouch for fixins. But that’s just my opinion.

Greg
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 04:57:32 AM by Greg Pennell »
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »
Thanks capgun, that’s exactly the sort of thing I’m imagining. That’s a good idea Greg, similar in concept to Rase’s holster, but without the holster, obviously. They are awesome but, like you say, ridiculously awkward to tote.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 05:16:04 PM »
I don't think I'd try to add a holster to the back of a bag.  I think it would make a heavy combination that would sag badly between the strap ends. 

I really like the one David Rase did, and it looks very historically plausible. 

Bob, the holster drawing you made with the strap looks like a pommel holster for a horse pistol with a strap added.  Looks like it would work. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 07:19:11 PM »
Bob, I usually carry my pistol in my haversack when I go hunting or if not in period gear it goes in my back pack..

I guess one could stitch in a holster/pocket to hold the gun vertical  if desired inside of the pack or haversack.

Just a thought.....
Luckily  haven't  needed it quickly too defend myself from the wild Tn. bucks. However they do get a little crazy come November...

Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Ezra

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 08:34:20 PM »
What is thought up today, was undoubtably thought of by someone else over the last 250 years.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 08:53:58 PM »
What is thought up today, was undoubtably thought of by someone else over the last 250 years.

Ez

I think the same.

Smo, that's what I'll end up doing for this season if I don't whip something up to get me through the next few months....

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »
I kinda like the pommel holster idea with a matched pair of pistols of course. A reminder that many of the users were mounted in those days.

Dan

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 04:58:52 AM »
 The holster for my trade pistol is made from one of my sons buckskin leggings I made for him when he was still in diapers, he turned 33 last May. If I was going to carry it extensively, I would probably make a rawhide liner for it.

Hungry Horse

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 01:19:46 PM »
Bob...They are awesome but, like you say, ridiculously awkward to tote.

If you can't come up with a great piece based on all the good advice here then you need to dump Muzzleloading and go on over to Cowboy Action.  Oh...and...if you do, get your act on YouTube.

This is going to become its own journey for you because, having observed you, you are one of those guys who's gonna explore everything.  Probably end up with two or three rigs, and all of 'em ought to end up on your TV.

It looks like most of the examples are made of stout cowhide.  Some wood forms and wet moulding will probably be helpful and it'll reflect on your mom if you don't post.
  See you on YouTube

Capgun

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2020, 05:26:22 PM »
Bob...They are awesome but, like you say, ridiculously awkward to tote.

If you can't come up with a great piece based on all the good advice here then you need to dump Muzzleloading and go on over to Cowboy Action.  Oh...and...if you do, get your act on YouTube.

This is going to become its own journey for you because, having observed you, you are one of those guys who's gonna explore everything.  Probably end up with two or three rigs, and all of 'em ought to end up on your TV.

It looks like most of the examples are made of stout cowhide.  Some wood forms and wet moulding will probably be helpful and it'll reflect on your mom if you don't post.
  See you on YouTube

Capgun

Lol. I think I will be able to come up with a rig. Eric Ewing is sketching me out some ideas (I love his stuff), as am I. I’m stuck on the strapped carry idea because I often sit in the woods while hunting so a belt holster will be a problem. I will put together a bag style via EE, more a soft combo ‘bag/holster on a strap’ via me, and also a form fit stiff rig via someone with some leather working skill. We’ll see what works best for my situation....and I will update this thread as my testing progresses.