Author Topic: Knapping Rod?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline RANGER94

Knapping Rod?
« on: September 01, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »
Does anyone make knapping rods?  Similar to the one Bob used in his August 30, 2020 video?  "INSTALLING, ORIENTING, AND KNAPPING THE FLINT IN YOUR FLINTLOCK"

Thanks!!!

Ranger94

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Knapping Rod?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 04:32:16 PM »
This one. I picked it up at Friendship I think. Seems Dixie Gun Works has a similar one. Don’t forget about making one from a nail.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 05:10:42 PM »
Simple enough to make one from a cut nail. File a 1/16” notch in the tip.  Make one for every pouch.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 05:19:20 PM »
Looks like a socket extension from a ratchet set would work the same.....and look similar.

Offline recurve

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 06:36:07 PM »
Mr Greg Dixon showed me his knapping rod saying "this is how I knap flints"  approx 6 inches long  almost a 1/2 inch around solid brass with years of dents on it.  Made my own from a round  bar stock and used 45-70 brass from the range seems to work
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:55:49 AM by recurve »

Offline recurve

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 12:01:45 AM »

The big thing is the "rod" used like a hammer ala Dixon's
the brass rods are made on my drill press and are like what Bob Blackptv uses, both work.

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 12:03:38 AM »
I use a 16d (penny) nail.  I grind the point flat. The I make a notch in the tip to sit on the edge of the flint.  I tap with the short starter.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 04:18:02 PM »
I use brass hinge pins from old door hardware. Have a few of them on the bench.
Mark

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 05:29:03 PM »
I try to remember that the force is being transmitted to the sear and tumbler notch if knapping at half cock.  Small bites if using a 2 hand approach like a punch and something to pound it with. Alternatively use a one hand approach and support the lower jaw with the other hand.
Andover, Vermont

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »
I have shown what I use here several times but as this thread keeps coming up here it is again. It is an inexpensive brass tool for knocking out barrel wedges. Brass is nice as there is no chance of spark. I just file a notch in the end of the blade. The knurled handle make it nice for using with those dirty greasy fingers. As you can see mine has been used for years might even give the brass a little cleaning or not. Even with the notch you can still use it for starting out those pesky wedge pins.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 06:56:53 PM »
IMO, if you can’t make one of these in about ten minutes, they need to take your guns away, and cut all the points off your crayons.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »
It's literally about 10 swipes with a small triangle file with one flat 90 degrees off the length of the rod or nail. You might even be able to make a dozen in 10 minutes. I have a forged turnscrew in each bag and they are all notched as well.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:22:05 PM by Bob McBride »

Offline RANGER94

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 08:54:12 PM »
IMO, if you can’t make one of these in about ten minutes, they need to take your guns away, and cut all the points off your crayons.

Hungry Horse

That was funny.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 09:27:32 PM »
As much as I like the one I use I am going to take Bob's advise and file a notch in all the forged turn screws I have as there is 1 in each shooting bag.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Kary

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 09:49:38 PM »
For putting a new edge on my gun flint, I normally use the back of my bag knife and lightly tap my flint while still in the jaws. I have a brass rod that was given to me for that specific use, I’ve used it a couple times, but I just like the knife method better.