Author Topic: Southern rifle lock question  (Read 3765 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Southern rifle lock question
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2020, 01:35:36 AM »
I Englished up this Stan Hollenbaugh Germanic lock by re-shaping the tail a bit, making the tit a little more pronounced, and by rounding the pan.  I took away some of the cock metal as well - I think this lock as it is now, would serve well on a SMR.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 07:06:45 AM »
That's "pretty" special pistol, Taylor.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 03:35:24 AM »
Is that one of Stans locks he built from scratch, or one of his Ditchburn locks?  I have one of his Ditchburn locks on my Bill Slusser pistol.  Its similar to urs.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 04:47:20 PM »
  Stillwater...One thing you will learn about Southern guns...at least my experience. No two are a like...My confused way of thinking. Back then if they had it they used it. They might of had certain particularities that marked them to a certain area. But mostly they used what they could get or make..
 Remember the two Wars took a lot of guns to the scrap yard for metal. We only have to go by now. The one's that survived. Just my opinion...
 Rich that their sure is a fine looking gun...!!   Oldtravler

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 09:32:17 PM »
40 years ago you didn't have much choice. It was use a Siler or rebuild a new brand X to your purpose. Now, everyone has grown particular. :)

40 years ago you could get one of my Chet Shoults Ketlands or another Ketland
of unknown origin.A friend owned an antique rifle with an identical lock and it was
marked Ketland so that's how I sold it.Most of them went to people making "flint Hawken"
rifles,My locks cost more and 40 years ago most of what I made went to Germany to
a different group with an entirely different attitude about bench crafted locks and triggers.
Bob Roller