Author Topic: Is a .40 to big for squirrels?  (Read 6435 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: Is a .40 to big for squirrels?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 01:26:40 AM »
Bob McBride's post is in agreement with my observations.  The .40 makes a superior "middle ground" rifle for varmints and similar size creatures and can even reach up or down to include deer and squirrels in a pinch.  While I've killed squirrels with a .58 prb deer load, they were the larger fox squirrels that I hit in the neck.  AND no damage; just a slit going in and a slit going out.  But I've mostly used the .32, and .36 but not as much, and the damage was quite like a .22LR.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 08:51:22 PM »
The OP is talking about squirrel hunting in PA & NJ and depending on where in these two states he is hunting you don't want that projectile hitting some house. Not all squirrels are shot on the ground. My choice would be a caliber not over .36 and a small charge of powder. I lived and hunted in NJ for many years.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 09:17:36 PM »
Then I do believe my friend a .32 is in your future.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2020, 03:37:03 AM »
The OP is talking about squirrel hunting in PA & NJ and depending on where in these two states he is hunting you don't want that projectile hitting some house. Not all squirrels are shot on the ground. My choice would be a caliber not over .36 and a small charge of powder. I lived and hunted in NJ for many years.

I sold a little 40 cal Dreppard rifle that I had made to a man from NJ. He wanted the rifle bad but kept complaining about it being a forty cal and no good for anything but target shooting. He finally bought it and I asked why he couldn't hunt squirrels with it. He said in NJ small game had to be hunted with 36 cal or smaller ML's and large game 45 or larger. Not sure if it's the same now or not.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2020, 04:10:38 AM »
There are some stringent laws in various States for sure. Not sure which one, but there is a bullet weight restriction in one of them, of 100gr. or so which eliminates .40's as well unless shooting slugs or double ball loads. I recall a fellow here writing about working up a Dball load for his or his wife's rifle. (some years back)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2020, 04:17:08 AM »
Or no. Can you imagine trying to handle the balls and patches. A pound of lead, yard of cloth and pound of powder would certainly last a season. LOL
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2020, 04:17:32 AM »
Time to make a .177 caliber muzzleloader. That would be close to proper size for skwerls.

I'd go 22.  More range and power... :P   But really I have a .30x46" A by Charlie Burton, and bet it's going to be a zinger.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »
Time to make a .177 caliber muzzleloader. That would be close to proper size for skwerls.

I'd go 22.  More range and power... :P   But really I have a .30x46" A by Charlie Burton, and bet it's going to be a zinger.
[/quote

Ive had a .25, a .30, and a .32. The .30 was my favorite. The .25 was a chore trying to keep up with its "issues". But to be fair, I bought it used and I'm not too sure the bore was very good. My .32 does a little more damage than I like when I miss the head. The .30 seemed about right but someone wanted the rifle more than me and I sold it.

Offline Pickwick

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
I have a .32 Crockett and a .40 Kibler that I squirrel hunt with.  I see no advantages or disadvantages of one over the other while squirrel hunting and they both shoot really good.  I do make sure my shots have the tree trunk as a backstop for either gun.  I rarely, actually never, have had a shot mess up any meat with either.  Its mostly a clean round hole in and out with both.  I take my Kibler .40 mostly just for the fun factor over the Crockett but they both get the job done as good as anything Ive ever hunted them with.  I use 30 grains of 3F over a mink oil lubed pillow ticking patch with the .40 and it is medicine for squirrels and the occasional bigger critter that may come along. 

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2020, 12:49:12 PM »
Since the original question was in reference to NJ and PA specifically here’s the regs:
NJ ~ .36 cal or less
PA ~ .40 cal or less

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2020, 01:49:36 PM »

I had one with a Bill Large barrel. It was a zinger to shoot but a bear to load those tiny round balls!
Sold it and built a 36 which I liked much better.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2020, 07:08:37 PM »
I found the .32 was especially difficult when shooting in the winter time. The .36 is easier and the .40 much better than either.
Daryl

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 08:32:24 AM »
I live and hunt in Missouri, and I really like the .40 for squirrels and larger game here.  No problems with damage any more than a .22 LR.  Shot placement is king no matter what the caliber, I used to head shoot squirrels with my .50 before I made the .40.  The .40 shoots flatter.....

Curtis

Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 09:32:29 PM »
Who knows how many squirrels and a few deer killed with my 40's here in Bama. 40 is legal for both. None seemed to mind..lol.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2021, 07:20:00 AM »
Hit anywhere but in the head and its squirrel-burger gravy. ::)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2021, 11:37:11 PM »
I normally use a .32 but just ordered a .40 which I have no experience. Is a 40 to large for Eastern Gray squirrels for hunting in PA and NJ?

Nope - shoot 'em in the eyeball from the side, end of the nose or between the eyes from the front or the back of the head from behind. One thing
about .40's, vs. .36's or anything smaller than .40's, is the .40's have the potential to be more accurate.  Any time the bore size increases, there is
the potential for better accuracy. It's your job to find & take advantage of that accuracy.
Daryl

Offline duca

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2021, 12:40:34 AM »
I normally use a .32 but just ordered a .40 which I have no experience. Is a 40 to large for Eastern Gray squirrels for hunting in PA and NJ?

Well unfortunately here in NJ you can ONLY hunt squirrel with a .36 or smaller. otherwise I would have ordered a .40 from Kibler.

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2021, 05:06:13 AM »
   My .45 flint longrifle is my favorite small game gun, a truckload of squirrels, buncha grouse, few ducks out of the creek and who knows what else.   Head shots with 25 -30 grs. of FFG.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2021, 06:26:26 AM »
I'm thinking most squirrels will be shot at less than 30yards, likely 25. At that range, my .32 with a 10 ounce denim patch and .311" round ball, made a 5-shot group, off a bench, about the size of a
.40 calibre hole and that .40 calibre hole would cover all those shots. The load was a paltry 20gr. 3F, GOEX. That load wouldn't shoot better than 2 1/5" at 50yards though. That distance needed 15gr. more powder.
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »

Nope - shoot 'em in the eyeball from the side, end of the nose or between the eyes from the front or the back of the head from behind. One thing
about .40's, vs. .36's or anything smaller than .40's, is the .40's have the potential to be more accurate.  Any time the bore size increases, there is
the potential for better accuracy. It's your job to find & take advantage of that accuracy.

If you hit 'em in the noggin just right they resemble Marty Feldman.

Mike

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2021, 03:14:01 PM »
I have used a 40 with good results. I don’t worry about meat damage as I don’t eat their heads anyway.

Offline Levy

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2021, 05:41:44 PM »
I apologize for this being off subject, but in Florida you can now legally hunt deer with a .30 ML.  Why, because of the new air rifles being lobbied to be legal.  They (FWC) approved .30 air rifles for deer and since that was legalized, logically, .30 ML's had to be legal too.  Product driven decision making at its best.  James Levy 
James Levy

Offline okawbow

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2021, 06:02:28 AM »
I have shot several squirrels with a .40 flintlock, and with a small enough powder charge, they don’t blow up too bad on body shots. I use the old,  over the ball with powder load. It comes out to just over 15 grains, 2F.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2021, 10:45:20 PM »
I am a fan of the 32.  Mine has decapped many squirrels over the years.  Its a lot easier to rip off the shirt and pants of the squirrel when cleaning them if they are not shot through the middle.  Loading the small round balls with a loading block is no problem in cold weather.  Using the block saves your fingers and makes it look like you might even know what you are doing.  Don't want the squirrels to think they have the upper hand.