Author Topic: Any idea where this could have been made (UPDATED)  (Read 1572 times)

Offline sdilts

Any idea where this could have been made (UPDATED)
« on: September 03, 2020, 03:14:25 AM »
Added some more pics and info.

A guy brought this by for me to do some stock repair on it. He said it has been in his family since at least 1830 but he doesn't have a clue about where it was made. It has been converted to percussion somewhere along the way. There is a barrel inlay but it's too worn to see any signature. Here's a couple pics of the patchbox and trigger guard. There is no carving.

The barrel is 43" but has been shortened 3 1/4" from the breech end. The barrel was originally held on with keys, but when it was shortened they just drilled holes and used pins to go through the slotted underlugs. There is no nose cap.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:24:44 AM by sdilts »

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
Re: Any idea where this could have been made
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 04:46:10 AM »
The rifle looks nice but a few more views would help. Stock endcap, any inlays on the cheek rest, ramrod thimbles, rear sight, and some overall length photos.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 05:24:54 PM »
 The short wrist, and obvious non-traditional lock inlet suggests this is a heavy target rifle, as does the heavy elaborate triggerguard. Either that or a composite piece built from an old schutzen rifle. More pictures might help.

Hungry Horse

Offline vanu

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »
Reminds me of  the Scott family rifles from SW Virginia (Franklin County i believe); long comb, short wrist, patchbox finial and the elaborate guard all look similar to some of their work. A few more photos would be helpful, I'll check my files and see if there is anything related, stay tuned.

Bruce

Offline sdilts

Re: Any idea where this could have been made (UPDATED)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 02:06:25 PM »
Added more pics
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:03:09 PM by sdilts »

Offline vanu

Re: Any idea where this could have been made (UPDATED)
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 11:56:45 PM »
It definitely is Scott Family - PM sent.

Bruce