Author Topic: pewter inlay in catlinite  (Read 2293 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
pewter inlay in catlinite
« on: September 04, 2020, 07:08:44 AM »
I acquired a catlinite pipe in the classic T shape.  It has a relief groove carved in the body that has a couple of rows of beads filling the groove.  I want to remove the beads and inlay the groove with pewter.  I have poured many pewter nose caps in rifles but never into pipestone.  Has anybody done this successfully and if so, what are the differences between pouring pewter in pipestone vs. wood?  Do I need to worry about the molten pewter cracking the pipestone?  Are the inlays I see on catlinite pipes normally poured or are they inlayed and cold formed by gently tapping the soft pewter into the groove and then filing smooth.  I don't have a clue.  Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks. David   
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:27:46 PM by David Rase »

Offline Joe Stein

Re: peter inlay in catlinite
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 08:14:56 AM »
David, I know that soapstone molds have been used for casting roundballs. Since Catlinite is just a form of soapstone, I don't see why a pewter band would be a problem.

-Joe Stein

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: pewter inlay in catlinite
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 07:43:33 PM »
 David, I have made several Catlinite pipes with pewter bands, borders, and inlays, it pretty easy. Bands, and borders are easier than inlays, but its all about the same process. Basically you cut your border or pattern into the stone, and then give it a little undercut to keep it in place. Now rub the inside of the cuts with a soft pencil, like a carpenter’s pencil. Next you have to warm up the Catlinite so the shock of the hot metal doesn’t fracture it, and the cold stone doesn’t freeze your pewter. I use file cards, or Manila folder material as my dam, secured with a couple of wraps of binding wire, and then sealed with duct tape. I like to use lead free pewter, or pure tin, instead of traditional pewter. Good luck.
P.S. I made a copy of a civil war button mold made from Catlinite that has made a bunch of pewter buttons over the years.

Hungry Horse

Offline David Rase

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 07:59:52 PM »
David, I have made several Catlinite pipes with pewter bands, borders, and inlays, it pretty easy. Bands, and borders are easier than inlays, but its all about the same process. Basically you cut your border or pattern into the stone, and then give it a little undercut to keep it in place. Now rub the inside of the cuts with a soft pencil, like a carpenter’s pencil. Next you have to warm up the Catlinite so the shock of the hot metal doesn’t fracture it, and the cold stone doesn’t freeze your pewter. I use file cards, or Manila folder material as my dam, secured with a couple of wraps of binding wire, and then sealed with duct tape. I like to use lead free pewter, or pure tin, instead of traditional pewter. Good luck.
P.S. I made a copy of a civil war button mold made from Catlinite that has made a bunch of pewter buttons over the years.

Hungry Horse
Thanks for the info.  I appreciate the tip on preheating the catlinite a bit.  I should make the pour this week.  I will post how it came out.
David

Offline David Rase

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 10:34:03 PM »
Got around to pouring the pewter inlay in my catlinite pipe on Friday.  I was able to finish polishing the pewter and pipstone today.  Thanks Hungry Horse for your advise.  I preheated the pipe to about 200 degrees for 10 or so minutes and the pour went flawlessly.  To finish off the pipe I wet sanded it and then heated it up to 300 degrees for about 15 minutes, applied bees wax, dunked it in cold water and then buffed it out.  That inlay went so well I am having a hard time not putting one on the bowl while I wait for the stem to come back from getting some quill work done by Shawn Webster.
David

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:41:01 PM by David Rase »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 12:16:47 AM »
David so glad to hear, and see it went well. I’m always a little nervous when I recommend a procedure. There are just so manny things that can go wrong.

Hungry Horse

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 03:07:49 PM »
That’s some snazzy work, Dave. May I ask where you got the pipestone?  I think I need to make a pipe...like I really need any more crafts right now... ::)

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Rase

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 04:27:00 PM »
That’s some snazzy work, Dave. May I ask where you got the pipestone?  I think I need to make a pipe...like I really need any more crafts right now... ::)

Greg
Greg, I can't take credit for the pipe.  As the original post states, I acquired this pipe and stem used and I am in the process of restoring/upgrading the pipe.  However, if you are wanting to acquire some pipestone I would look up Wondering Bull LLC.  They have a nice selection of catlinite.
David