Author Topic: Not grouping  (Read 9576 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Not grouping
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2020, 07:32:58 PM »
My late friend Helmut used to like a similar target for sighting in his rifle.  But it consisted of only one black bar on the paper.  He'd start with the bar horizontal and when he could keep all his shots in the bar, he'd turn it vertical.  That way he got his elevation and windage set quite simply.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2020, 09:13:22 PM »
I located a photo of one of my targets cut from the big piece of poster board.  Shot with an unmentionable peep-sighted small bore at 100 yards while braced against a column.  I stopped at three shots so as not to ruin the group.   LOL.   ;D 

Seriously, that high one was the first shot from the bore, so to me it means that I do not worry too much about dispersion of the first shot from clean bore....unless the target is a squirrel's head. 

In this case the black lines are 1-1/4" wide, so this group is a little over 1-1/4".  I usually use 1" lines, but either looks about the same at that distance. 

This was a peep sight with bead front. 

Hope this helps.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2020, 09:38:20 PM »
Well, boy's, I'm done. After more than a year of trying everything I know and everything other people know, this is the best group I could achieve, it is also the last, and not acceptable to me. It was a good day for shooting, great sight picture, holding rock steady from the bench. Thank you all, I sincerely appreciate all the input from you guys!!!!!!!

I will get in touch with the barrel maker and see what shakes out. I will not speculate on that.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Daryl

« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2020, 09:49:32 PM »
Agreed - that would be very frustrating indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2020, 09:59:54 PM »
I hear you brother.  At least you did all you could.  I know it is frustrating. 

Offline heinz

« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2020, 05:47:47 PM »
I could not find the barrel dimensions in this thread.  Light barrels can be very fussy about how they are rested on the bench,  Resting the muzzle can actually adversely effect the accuracy.  Also heating up from shooting will impact a light barrel much more than a heavy barrel
 If it is a light swamped barrel, like an A weight or a 13/16 straight 50 cal it is going to be fussy about hold points and temperature.
kind regards, heinz