Author Topic: yawner . . .  (Read 5079 times)

caliber45

yawner . . .
« on: August 19, 2009, 02:35:05 AM »
Boy, I hate to complain, gents, but the blackpowder shooting section of this forum sure has become a yawner of late. What gives? I know it's too darned hot to get out shooting in 100-degree-plus weather here in the desert, but it should be a good time for you folks in the Far North or Deep South. Are the shooting posts going to some other category? Here in Tucson, I'm waiting for the mercury to "dip" into the double-digits most times (a few scorcher ventures, but they're painful . . .), but I'd sure like to see more reports from you folks with friendlier summer weather. -- paul

jmforge

Re: yawner . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 02:49:19 AM »
Well, the good news is that you won't have to use as much powder to get the same velocities when it is 110 degrees outside. ;D

Bob F

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:43:44 AM »
here in  PA its been hot and humid..when it isn't raining!  Can't wait for better weather!

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »
Shot the trail with Taylor and Hatchet Jack on Sunday, shot on the BP range yesterday with N. Hunter, Taylor and Nick R. Had a great day, got my zeros and loads down for the 'target' match coming soon up at Hefley Creek Rendezvous.  Today I'm meeting a news BP shooter who is also coming to Hefley Creek, at the range at 9:30AM to get him started with his .58. Guess there's a bit of shooting going on  in some locals. Yaaaawwwwwwwn. ;D

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:33:16 PM »
Boy, I hate to complain, gents, but the blackpowder shooting section of this forum sure has become a yawner of late. What gives? I know it's too darned hot to get out shooting in 100-degree-plus weather here in the desert, but it should be a good time for you folks in the Far North or Deep South. Are the shooting posts going to some other category? Here in Tucson, I'm waiting for the mercury to "dip" into the double-digits most times (a few scorcher ventures, but they're painful . . .), but I'd sure like to see more reports from you folks with friendlier summer weather. -- paul

But its dry heat and you get less mirage off the barrel. ;D

I have 2 rifles of mine to rebarrel and 2 more for a customers and 12 cleaning rods to make.
So here I am checking email as such....
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

BrownBear

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 05:53:49 PM »
Way too many salmon and halibut right now.  They just beg for a ride to the freezer this time of year, and who am I to deny them?  Not to worry, the runs will be over before long and the hills will turn golden......

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
Our club shot 2nd Sunday and weather gave us a break - 20 shooters - 2 newbies and prizes pretty well spread around.

Last wknd shot 3 days at Whispering Pines Rondy turned out it was the first wkend in 2 mos w/o rain.  Hot but had a great time and shot fair to decent. 85 plus shooters.  Shot log, x stix, offhand rifle and smoothy 25 out to 100 yds and a rifle mt walk and trade gun mt walk...
This comingwknd is our Pa state shoot near Harrisburg, Pa hope for fine weather. Expect around 80 shooters.

Aug 30 go to Easton Pa for a Sunday shoot

Labor day wknd plan to shoot Bl Ridge Rifles rondy and Gar Rats for 1 day.

At least that's the plan....  In between I clean up and repair and rest/rest! ;D

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »
I know it's too darned hot to get out shooting in 100-degree-plus weather here in the desert, but it should be a good time for you folks in the Far North or Deep South
I don't know what your problem is with not shooting.  Must be a fair weather group of guys.  We shoot targets on the 1st Sunday and a Woodswalk on the 2nd Sunday.......12 months a year.  It's often 95-101 degrees with matching humidity.  Try shooting in the still woods under those conditions.  The only thing you look forward to is chugging half a gallon of water after the shoot.  Last month I picked 32 ticks off my body when I got home and woke up the next morning with zillions of chigger bites around my ankles and beltline.  That's in West TN.  When I lived in IL we shot in sub-zero weather and blowing snow.

For some of us, weather is never an obstacle to shooting or being on the ground.  You take what nature offers and adapt.  I think today's mommas raised too many pussies.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:29:31 PM »
Probably more shooting and less posting going on! ;)
Mike Lee

Offline b bogart

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 09:00:47 PM »
Well heck, my shooting is nothing to post about, but I still go once a week at least! I am lucky the range is close. Sometimes no one else shows up but I still blaze away. It's my form of meditation.
Bruce

Mike R

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »
Arrrgh!  Hot, humid weather here in Lousyanna keeps me off the range much of the summer--can't see the sights from sweat in my eyes and the pan powder gums up from the mugginess.  I still have one .54 rifle not sighted in properly and a new .45 I have not even fired yet! Waiting for a dry day....'bout the only BP I burn all summer is in re-enactments [blanks].  Burned up several pounds in a Mountain Howitzer a couple weeks ago.   Fun but no cigar.   

Steamingspud

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 05:50:42 AM »
here in  PA its been hot and humid..when it isn't raining!  Can't wait for better weather!

Everyone tells me I'm nuts for saying I would rather it be winter than 95 degrees out and humid. but like the warm weather people have to suffer a few months of winter, I guess we have to deal with a few of summer too huh...

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 06:11:38 AM »
I don't mind winter, but I hate hot summers - anything over 73 is too hot - yet it's supposed to be mid 80's at hefley.

caliber45

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 03:05:24 AM »
Hey, Daryl -- I hate to inform you of this, but you've got the thing reversed: Any temperature BELOW 73 is bad/evil/unbearable/offensive, etc. When it gets below 70, most of us right-thinkers go into hibernation. HOWEVER, anything above 100 is also bad/evil/unbearable/offensive, etc. I remember from Air Force survival experience that wading through waist-deep snow not only ain't any fun, but it can frost your noogies. Frosted noogies isn't fun. But I admire you North Folks' determination in keeping up the perception. -- paulallen, Tucson Az