Author Topic: Bald pouches  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Maurice

Bald pouches
« on: September 10, 2020, 11:54:31 PM »
I have seen a lot of pouches on the forum but cannot remember seeing any with the fur/hair still on the pouch. I would think that some early 1700’s shooting pouches might have made from hides with the fur or hair still on. Is there a practical or historical reason for removing the fur or hair? Any photos of these hairy/furry pouches would be appreciated

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Re: Bald pouches
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:10:01 AM »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 12:43:11 AM »
Here is a bag in an 1820s Texas painting of Steve Austin of jaguar.

Here is a link to the re-pop I did using bobcat

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=60868.0

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 12:50:11 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Kevin

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 04:26:57 AM »
Greetings All,

Page 43 of Madison Grant's "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" book show a pouch of bearskin.  Also, on page 51 there is a pouch of calfskin with hair and the flap and front of the calfskin pouch on page 64 also have the hair on.  Might be a couple more in this publication as well.

Kevin

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 01:33:04 AM »
I think the Whitacre (?) pouch in the Book of Buckskinning VI has a flap made from the hide of an unborn calf (slunkskin) with the hair on. I don't have the book so I can't check, though.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 09:30:06 AM »
I think the Whitacre (?) pouch in the Book of Buckskinning VI has a flap made from the hide of an unborn calf (slunkskin) with the hair on. I don't have the book so I can't check, though.

Had to google “slunkskin”... aww, my feelers  :'(

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 02:57:56 PM »
Lots of pouches with fur on them.  As to a practical reason, I'd say none really just basically a matter of artistic creations.  Some are very elaborate and go well beyond utility.  Yet the fur on the outer surface/flap may contribute to keeping rain off the leather and thus the contents dryer.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
Found another one in "Of Sorts For Provincials: American Weapons of the French and Indian War" by Jim Mullins.  Page 115 shows "hair pouch" from the Colonial Wiliamsburg Foundation collection.  Also, page 114 quotes a listings of items returned from Coll. Dagworthy's Company in April, 1762 and "8 hair pouches" are included on the list.

Kevin

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 06:37:28 PM »
T C Albert also has a few original hair on bags in his pouch making book. If I'm not mistaken,  they are in the back pattern section.