Author Topic: SW Virginia  (Read 2067 times)

Online Hlbly

SW Virginia
« on: September 13, 2020, 06:58:47 PM »
Picked up a couple of decent old hillbilly rifles last week. Both full stock, one brass and one iron.

Offline MGillman

Re: SW Virginia
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »
Any history?

Online Hlbly

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 08:03:47 PM »
No story, no history. They came from an old southern Virginia collection.

Offline MGillman

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 11:20:29 PM »
Why a SWVA attribution?

Online Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 11:27:42 PM »
1, that’s where they were found, and 2, they are stylistically from that area. If you disagree, I can live with that.

Offline MGillman

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 11:35:22 PM »
It’s a question. Why be rude about it? But since they were found here, that falls in the history/provenance category. I believe you said “no history.” Why not just throw out all the information in the beginning so people don’t have to fish and get rude responses?

Online Hlbly

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 11:46:45 PM »
Saying I’m okay if people disagree with me is rude???

Offline MGillman

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 11:49:37 PM »
I never disagreed. I was asking questions. You assumed my intent was to disprove you when I was asking why the attribution. It really was a simple question.

Do you have any maker/County in mind?

Online Hlbly

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 12:00:04 AM »
I would guess somewhere between Roanoke and Abington, but that is just a guess.

Offline MGillman

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 12:14:00 AM »
Thanks, that certainly covers the whole region. Lol. I am genuinely interested in SWVA decorative arts and material culture. I have four Wythe County rifles and some horns. Always looking out for more SWVA items/info.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 02:26:58 AM »
Mr MGillman, the gentleman you are discussing the attribution of the 2 unsigned SW Va. rifles, has probably owned 200 Virginia rifles in his collecting career.
Anyone who knows him will tell you, if he says it you can take it to the bank....!
He’s been a collector since he was a kid in the mountains of North West North Carolina.
His opinion is highly respected by all collectors.

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline homerifle

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 03:58:25 AM »
Hlbly thanks for posting pictures of the rifles you just turned up. Good find!  Always like seeing what you have at the shows! Please continue posting pictures.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 06:14:45 AM »
I like the cheekrests. Thanks for sharing the photos. How long are the barrels?
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
HLBLY--Nice looking rifles Thanks for posting the pictures.

Any markings at all? It "looks" as though the lower rifle may have been originally a flintlock, as there seems to the remnant of the pan fence present.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:34:25 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Online Hlbly

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 02:42:43 PM »
Barrel on the brass mtd gun is 41 1/2. It was originally flintlock and probably lost some length when converted. Barrel on the iron mtd is 42” and is original length.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 03:19:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Some of my direct ancestors, the McIntires, lived in Harrison County in the northern part of WV. The time frame was the latter half of the 18th and the early 19th century. I hope to find a representative rifle for that general area and from the time period. Realistically, that may be quite challenging at best. Probably a rifle from Hampshire or Mineral Counties would be more likely.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:02:30 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 06:21:18 PM »
 ;) ;)... Thanx for sharing these recent finds, Gerald,... proves there are still some hiding out in the mountains,... !!! ,.... I kinda like these old hog rifles,.. maybe not  as fancy as some E. Tn or WNC mountain rifles, but have a rightful place,.... And Bob,...Good to see you here,... any you boys going up to Ohio,...?... regards,... CCF..

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 07:39:09 PM »
Hibly, thanks for posting the pictures. I too always enjoy seeing your table at the shows. You seem to have a knack for finding good old southern rifles. I will look forward to seeing them at my show in January if you still have them.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 12:47:07 AM »
Hibly is a gentleman whom I know to possess great knowledge and a keen eye for details. Whatever he tells me, I trust. Although I have been collecting longrifles for over half a century, I still have much to learn. Part of effective learning is figuring out from whom you can learn.
Wayne Elliott