Author Topic: Jerry Scales blunderbuss on contemp blog  (Read 10381 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Jerry Scales blunderbuss on contemp blog
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »
fabulous engraving, looks like original higher end English work to me!  Neither "modernized" nor dumbed down.  Right on!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Don Getz

Re: Jerry Scales blunderbuss on contemp blog
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »
Looks like John Schippers engraving, he's good.   I only say this because John has engraved other guns by Jerry.   Jerry
is also a great gunbuilder that is rarely mentioned, have seen a lot of good stuff come out of his shop.......Don

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 07:02:18 PM »
NICE! Anyone know any of the specifics on this gun? I like it when The Blog includes some narrative telling us about what those great pictures are showing us. Picture=1000 words, but the words would be welcome too.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:48:53 PM »
Jerry is bang on with his engraving.  He nailed the 18th century styling for many European (especially British) guns. Anyone wanting to mimic authentic engraving on 18th and early 19th century firearms should take a close look at Jerry's blunderbuss.  He studiously avoided making it look like more modern engraving styles. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Jerry is bang on with his engraving.  He nailed the 18th century styling for many European (especially British) guns. Anyone wanting to mimic authentic engraving on 18th and early 19th century firearms should take a close look at Jerry's blunderbuss.  He studiously avoided making it look like more modern engraving styles. 

dave
That is John Schippers engraving. Credit should be given where credit is due. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
I have to agree with Don and Mike, Jerry builds some nice guns, but that is John Schippers' engraving.  John has engraved rifles for several/many other gun builders. 

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »
Mike and Randy,
If you are right then certainly John deserves the credit.  Regardless, it is a good model for 18th century engraving.  It is some of the very best I have seen of the genre.  Unfortunately, the blog posting doesn't identify the engraver so unless one has "insider" information, how would one know it wasn't Jerry from the blog?

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 11:03:01 PM »
I would not assume anything about who engraved it. I don't know John's work. I wish more info would go with each entry on the Contemp Blog. A story, some background, etc.

The engraving is spot-on for the period, very well done, very complex. The only negative in my opinion is that the line weight is too consistent. I'd like to see a little more variety in depth and width.

I understand John Schipper is producing a book on engraving, is that right?

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 11:56:20 PM »
John has a couple of binders of notes and transfers of original engraving that must each be 5 inches thick.  He has been threatening to write a book about engraving for a 15 or 20 years, but it hasn't come to fruition.  John has a rather unorthodox method of engraving in which he uses short gravers and a small ballpeen hammer.  He engraves toward himself as opposed to the generally used method of moving the graver away from oneself. 

John is surely a fine engraver who deserves, but seldom seems to get much exposure.

Randy Hedden

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:08 AM »
Last time I saw John was October and his book was ready for the publisher.
 Here's another example of his engraving on one of my double guns. His style is uniquely his own.

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 01:22:21 AM »
About John's book......there was a book on Jerry Scales table, however, they are not available for sale yet.  It will be a
great book when it does come available, and will have to buy one.   About 15 years ago when I was attending the Conner Prairie workshops, I took a finished Isaac Haines along to the show and showed it to Schippers.....he then engraved it in his class, did a fantastic job, actually too good for a kentucky.  A trap shooting friend of mine now owns the
gun and it look better every time I see it.   He hunts with it and it is starting to show that nice shiny patina a gun gets when it is used..............Don

Offline AMartin

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 01:25:47 AM »
Don

Dang it I forgot to look at that ....... John told me his book is about ready .......... remind me when we get to the show next year ..........

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 01:40:03 AM »
Mike ......seeing that double fint shotgun reminded me, Mike Cox came up to my table at the show and showed me a gun
similar to this one.   A real neat double fint that he made, engraved, checkered wrist, color cased, etc....just a super gun.
I don't know if you know him or not, but he is one fantastic gun builder.   Used to build some of the most elaborate southern mountain guns you ever saw.   Last saw him at the CLA show several years ago with a cool miniature kentucky, complete with a working flint lock..............Don

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 01:47:02 AM »
I remember Mike Cox's work from Gunmaker's Hall at Friendship in the early to mid 80's, really cool stuff. Never met him in person.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 02:32:14 AM »
John's engraving book is being published by Track of the Wolf and will be available late this year or early next year.  I can't wait to see the finished product.

Offline Eric Laird

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 02:32:19 AM »
Hey guys,
I just went to look at it, and it now says "Engraving by John Schippers" right under the first photo.
Eric
Eric Laird

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 02:49:59 AM »
Hey guys,
I just went to look at it, and it now says "Engraving by John Schippers" right under the first photo.
Eric

Eric,

That would probably be because Art Riser, the man who owns and runs that blog site, is also a member of this site and has probably been following this thread???

Randy Hedden.

AZ Longrifle

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »
Anyone know what it the selling price was on it?
I think that is one beautiful firearm.
Worthy of a museum in the future!