Author Topic: Mass produced tomahawk heads  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Woodsrunner79

Mass produced tomahawk heads
« on: September 15, 2020, 05:12:41 AM »
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place.

Has anybody any experience with the heads being sold by R.E. Davis  Co? Specifically the one they call their "Fancy Tomahawk Head" It's wax cast and listed as being 8620 steel.  20% carbon at best.
Here's what I'd like to get opinions on. Would it be sufficient for light camping use? Not felling trees mind you(there are better tools) but camp chores: kindling, clearing and the like. Perhaps the occasional throw.

Cheers, Jordan

Offline Marcruger

Re: Mass produced tomahawk heads
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 05:10:23 PM »
Unless the hawk is made for throwing, I’d hesitate to throw and damage a nice one. It is my understanding that throwing hawks are balanced and made for that purpose (Mel Gibson aside).   Cast steel can be very tough depending upon the what and hows of casting.  I am not familiar with the product you are inquiring about, but perhaps others will chime in.  God bless, Marc

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »
The description says that it is recommended only for light use.  You could add the steel insert.  It is 4140, which should do what you want it to do.
I use a Beaver Bill bag axe for kindling, etc.  Throwing Hawk for throwing
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:40:44 PM »
Thank you Marc, smallpatch. I was figuring as much. Mostly hoping that somebody had blazed the path before me and I could pursue it based solely on the head design that appeals most to me. Barring that, I'll get the English pattern head they offer in 1095.

Cheers, Jordan

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 07:46:01 PM »
Cast axes are a $#@* shoot when it comes to what they are cast from in real life. I used to help out Tim when he was running RE Davis and we were talking about the cast axes that he sold. He said that they gave specs to the foundry on what steel they wanted for the axes to be cast in. However he said some times the heads would be very hard and other batches would be very soft. I don't know if the quality control has improved any over the years or not.

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:19:55 PM »
B.Barker, that's good to know. It's the $$ that appeals to me. I want a project to keep my hands busy this winter. Thought a tomahawk kit that I could use in the spring would be the ticket. Thinking that if it's that much of a crapshoot that I'll just save my coin and buy a nuce one in the spring.

Cheers, Jordan

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 09:32:03 PM »
I've used one of those Ft. Meigs belt axes for years.  It's the greatest thing since safety pins.  Cuts well and holds an edge for light camp work or cleaning large game.  However, it is 30 years old so maybe they made them better back then.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »
I've used one of those Ft. Meigs belt axes for years.  It's the greatest thing since safety pins.  Cuts well and holds an edge for light camp work or cleaning large game.  However, it is 30 years old so maybe they made them better back then.

I have used the same one for years as well.  I reshaped the handle to a more comfortable profile, but other than that , it is as I purchased it. Really does hold an edge.
I have used the Davis acorn type head , and heat treated it to hold a razor edge . I've thrown it a couple of times, but realistically, it's the handles that are too nice and fragile to risk throwing.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 10:53:37 PM »
I bought an RE Davis English head in 6150 and reshaped it a bit a couple years ago. It isn't quite symmetrical, for one thing - it looked to me like they reproduced the irregularities of whatever forged model they used. It is pretty heavy for a fighting hawk, IMHO, though that might be a feature if you intend to use it as a tool, but the real issue in my opinion is that the eye is pretty small, intended to fit commercial handles for throwing hawks I think. It hardened up just fine, though I haven't ever used it for much chopping.

Jim Chambers has cast tomahawk head blanks for sale too, with an eye big enough for a good stout handle that can have a drilled hole and yet not break under real use. They are blanks, though, big enough to be filed to whatever shape you desire, but as such require a considerable amount of metal filed away before they are useable. I started one but have never finished, partly because of poor technique on my part that will be hard to correct and partly because I uncovered a pin-hole that seemed have a lot of oil inside, leading me to suspect that there is a bigger void in there that may show up in the most inconvenient way. Still, for someone who wants something different, it is a better prospect than trying to customize a Davis head, I think.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 12:58:29 AM »
B.I.T.W.- good to know. I've always liked those little ft. meigs axes. And ,yes i agree most handles are just too fragile to throw once they actually look and feel good. I may just order 2 heads and settle for a thrower and a "looker"

Elnathan- I didn't know about Jim Chambers. I'm going to have to look into that. Thank you!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 10:13:43 PM »
What, you guys don't play "Handles" at rendezvous?
1st guy sticks his hawk and the rest attempt to hit the handle.
Fun game. Works better as the beer count goes up. :o ::)
Less handles get hit. Usually from 2 turns and back, minimum,
1 1/2 turns.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 10:21:58 PM »
Always good to carry an extra wiping stick and hawk handle.  A shiny new handle like I just put in my hawk is irresistable to some "friends".