Author Topic: Pipe and thimble embellishment  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Scota4570

Pipe and thimble embellishment
« on: September 11, 2020, 06:51:12 PM »
I want to add some decorative bands to some store bought thimbles.  They are the smooth ones  and are only 0.030" thick.  I could see using a contoured tool and swaging the bands on but I am not sure how that would work as far as a bucking bar or form rod and removing the thimble after I stamp in the shape.  I could file the shape but they are very thin.   Should I start over and make pipes of thicker material?

Offline Not English

Re: Pipe and thimble embellishment
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 07:27:29 PM »
Before making new ones, I would try filing in any decorations you want using needle files followed by sandpaper. All you probably need to do is strongly hint at it. Brass black will accent anything you do. If it doesn't work, you're not out anything except for your time

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
I made this set of pipes for my Kuntz build out of .032" thick sheet brass.  the thumb nial on the entry pipe is swaged in, and the flats and grooves are filed.  I won't say I had lots of brass to work with, but no problems arose.  they fit a 5/16" rod.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 10:16:33 PM »
That was just too easy after I got my head around it. 

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
I concur with Taylor and Not English.  I just posted these photos on the thread about the sub scale rifles but this brass tubing has a 0.032" wall and i machined the decorative bands on each end with a form tool in the lathe.  The contour of the form is about 0.015" deep at its maximum and, as you can see, the contour on the brass is pronounced enough be distinct. 0.032" material is thick enough to file decorative features without making the final form too weak.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 10:22:54 PM »
Scota4570,

I was posting at the same time you were...... :o  In response to your forming of the rings.....Yes....or that !!!

Great job !
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 08:58:35 AM »
I believe making the bands is the easy part.  How about showing forming the thumb nail and raising the extension on the entry pipe. 

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 08:34:00 PM »
I too would like to see how it is really done.  I tried on this one to do a thumbnail with a rounded punch and a lead block.  I made a mess of it and flattened it back out.

I imagine if I had a thumbnail to copy I could the linotype metal to make the die off the original.  Then make a make a punch by filing and spotting with inletting black. 

IT seemed like too much work so I skipped it on this one. 

Offline Not English

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 06:08:45 AM »
This is probably well after the fact, but I wanted to add another $.02. Any flats you file in don't have to be totally flat. They only need to look flat. There can be quite a hump  to your flats that will never be seen. No one will ever check with a straight edge to see if there flat.

Offline heinz

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »
Another approach from an original jaeger

kind regards, heinz

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
I use a forming die and the cutouts are simple before the thimble is rolled

kind regards, heinz

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 05:03:57 PM »
Nice work and technique. Thanks for sharing.
Andover, Vermont