Author Topic: Martin Sheetz Build 1775-1808  (Read 2325 times)

old dog

Martin Sheetz Build 1775-1808
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:45:28 AM »

old dog

Re: Martin Sheetz Build 1775-1808
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 08:35:52 AM »
I could not figure out how to post comments so I thought I would make another post.
Brothers: I say that because, if  we have nothing else in common we have a love of a time when ships were made of wood and men steel.  A time that a mans most important tools were his gun, knife and ax  to feed and protect his family.
Martin Sheetz was my 4th great grand father.  The gun is one of my most prized posessions, however, I have difficulty saying I own the gun.  I'm just a caretaker.  It belongs to all Americans.  It is part of our heritage.
I did not photograph the ram rod.  It is a poor substitute for the original.  It is only about 35 inches long and the finish is brand new.  I have not removed the barrel from the stock.  The barrel is 44 and a half inches long and appears to be 45 caliber.  The rifling appears to be entirely shot out and is pretty clean from muzzle to breech.  It appears the barrel was patched in the area just behind the touchhole.  The muzzle cap is pined on two sides with brass pins.
There is no carving, unlike many of his other guns.  On the bottom of the toe plate is an engraving of a small quail or partridge.  You may note that the line engravings on the patchbox bordering the lid are not the same on both sides.  This was also the case in another of his guns, as if he forgot some of the lines.  The star on the cheek side of the butt is nearly identical to the one I previously owned.  I look forward to any comments, questions and
observations.
Old Dog

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »
Thank you, Old Dog, for sharing these photos with us. I'm a fan of the Sheetz guns. There are some great details in your photos. That is the kind of stuff I like to see.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
What a thrill to hold, examine and think about your ancestral guns. It’s a very moving experience to many of us. Martin Sheetz made great guns. Thanks for sharing
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 04:57:58 PM »
Very cool rifle.  What kind of comments are sought or welcomed?  Because I definitely have a few pertaining to that lock and breech.

In other news, the toe plate and box are fantastic!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 05:05:56 PM »
That is a wonderful rifle with an exceptional patchbox.  What a family treasure to take care of for a while.  My only other comment is the lock appears to be mostly Siler parts except for the lock plate...nothing negative about that.  Many, if not most, original rifles that were converted to percussion in the period have been reconverted back to flint over the years.

Offline homerifle

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
Thanks Old Dog for showing us your rifle. Its a fine family piece and I hope the next caretaker will appreciate it as much  as you.

old dog

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »
Thanks for the comments, however, don't hesitate to to be critical.  All comments are welcome Eric,  I am especially anxious to hear comments on the barrel.  Thanks for your comments Jim.  I posted a question a few weeks ago regarding the lock.  The guts just looked to new.  Just the facts, no bologna.
Old Dog

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 07:04:52 PM »
Well not too critical!  It's a great rifle and very attractive.  It's clearly a percussion conversion using almost bone-stock Siler parts, complete with fake punch-pitting around the breech.  I just mentioned it because you posted the pics of the internals and breech and I wasn't sure if you were aware that it was a reconversion or not.  I think that lock bolt is a replacement too as I've never seen threads that fine on a true antique lock bolt.  American stuff is overwhelmingly (not always, but most often) around 3/16 X 24.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

old dog

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 08:18:50 PM »
Not a problem Eric.  I suspected the lock internals were not original, but it did not occur to me that the barrel work was part of a conversion.  I have heard quite a lot regarding converting what were original flintlocks to percussion and back to flint.  Quite a controversial topic.  I don't have strong feelings one way or an other.
OD

Offline homerifle

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 04:07:40 AM »
I would say Eric is dead on with his assessment on items mentioned. As you know it's still a fine gun.

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 02:22:53 AM »
Old Dog, that is a very nice rifle you have posted. I also think that it has been reconverted back to flint as the others have stated. I also wanted to comment on your comment about the engraving on the patch box. I have noticed on a few other original rifles that had engraved boxes where the engraving on the side plates did not match. For a long time I thought this was just an oddity until I started engraving patch boxes myself. I found that the side plates were much easier to engrave off of the gun. I also found that if I did not mount both side plates together on the board that I mounted in my engraving ball I would sometimes leave some of the details off one of the side plates. I think this happened in this case on your rifle and the detail was either not noticed or M. Sheetz did not bother to go back and add the detail. Again thanks for sharing.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

old dog

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 05:22:17 AM »
He did the something on a gun I had previously.  On that gun he had also cut the right side end of the patchbox to short.  It did not reach the butt plate.  Or, maybe it was short to start with.  He had so much time in it he could not start over.  Maybe the buyer got a discount.  Great fun getting into these guys minds. Don't you think the early builders engraved the matchbox on the gun, excepting maybe the lid?
Old Dog

Online bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 06:30:14 PM »
Many interesting things about these old guns and their history we will never know but it is fun trying to figure it out.

I think there were guns that the engraving was done on the gun but in many cases the engraving was done off of the gun. The more I learned about engraving the more I realized that much more of the engraving was done off of the gun than I had thought earlier. Just an observation of mine and comparing on how the old work and my new work is done.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 05:50:23 AM »
old dog,
Thanks for posting all the detailed  photos of this wonderful old gun. I really liked your statement that you are not the owner of this gun but a caretaker and it belongs to all Americans as part of our heritage! I believe you have the true heart of a collector! I am in total agreement that we, as collectors, are merely stewards of these pieces of American history and our job is to protect and care for them so future generations can also learn to appreciate them as part of our history. Some just see them as objects to market to the highest bidder and make a healthy profit on. Like you, when I hold one of my antique long guns, I wonder where did it get that ding or what caused that little crack. I am not naive to think these 200 year old guns of history are 100% original as they were tools and tools break and have to be repaired to keep on doing their job. Their repairs and dings and cracks, etc become part of their individual history and charm. Thanks for sharing your family history and this fine old rifle. Thanks for your camaraderie as a caretaker of our A,Eric an history.
elkhorne

Offline lexington1

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2020, 08:36:57 PM »
Fantastic rifle and great pictures. It is a feeling that's hard to describe holding a rifle that was built by an ancestor. Is there any way that you could post a pick of the rifle in full length on both sides. I would love to see more of this fine gun!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
You certainly are fortunate to have such a wonderful family heirloom in your care and we certainly appreciate you choosing to share it with us. So much there to study!
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

old dog

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 06:00:22 PM »
I'll try to get a full length shot of the gun.  I felt the detail wouldn't be very good.  When I first got the gun,  my plan was to build a library table with a box in the top with a glass top and lighting inside to display the gun.  instead, of course it is safely hidden away in a gun safe.  I sometimes consider putting it on loan to the Ross County Historical Society.
OD