Author Topic: Builder who signed his rifles Plybon  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
Builder who signed his rifles Plybon
« on: September 19, 2020, 11:37:25 PM »
Saw a flintlock today signed in script "Plybon". From what I can find out, this rifle was purchased at Friendship about 25 to 30 years ago.  Does anyone here know this builder or know of his work and if so, what kind of money would this rifle bring. It is in pristine condition?

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Builder who signed his rifles Plybon
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 12:06:09 AM »
John D. Plybon. Lived in Kentucky in the 60s.  He was a school teacher. Moved to Orrville Ohio and lived there until his death (December 2011). John was best known for his beautiful scrimshaw horns and bags. He made some dandy guns in the 60s through the early 80s.  Most of his guns were small caliber, .29-.38. He liked using Bill Large barrels and Roller locks. John was a founding member of the Kentucky Corps of Longriflemen. I’m privileged to own one of his rifles. I knew John personally. Great guy, great artist. Very few of his guns are signed. I’d love to see pictures. 
 The last Plybon that I saw for sale was at the Log Cabin Shop. They wanted $2300.00 for it. That would be the high side of the price range in my opinion. John’s guns weren’t fancy so that would place them in the $1500.00-$2000.00 range.
Wayne.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 12:24:16 AM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 04:05:56 AM »
Wayne, thanks for all the information on John Plybon. This is a neat rifle in .32 caliber with a Bill Large 3/4" at barrel that I think is at least 46 inches long. It has some nice clean incised carving behind the cheek and a banana patchbox and it is left-handed. I can't remember if the lock was marked or not. It does have a short length of pull, and I'm guessing it is only 12 inches.  Thanks again,  Terry

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 01:48:04 PM »
Jontaught gun building classes at Log Cabin. I was fortunate enough to take his class in 1996. Really a nice guy and great teachers.
Dave

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 04:34:04 PM »
John Plybon was a great guy, and he just loved  small bore rifles. Unfortunately, he left us way to early and suffered from Allzhiemers. At his funeral, his favorite rifle, bag and horn was on display. His son John is involved with some group out of Millersburg Ohio, and I wonder if the son has followed in his father's footsteps.  He would stop by at our camp at Great Trails with Sally, his wife. I miss those days, I was just a young man back then and people like John were the sages stoked with wisdom. Now, I'm the "greybeard", time sure does fly by.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:48:17 AM »
As Stoner said,  John was a forefather before "The Longrifle Culture" was established.  It was in Coshocton Ohio in 2010 his family brought him to the HCH Guild Conference at Roscoe Village. It was an honor He was presented the "Lanthorn Award" for his dedication and craftsmanship to hornwork. Although his rifles weren't embellished as his hornwork. They where very well made and followed the early masters architecture.     
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 04:01:47 AM »
Here’s some of John’s typical scrimshaw work on a set of Carl Wilburn screw tip horns.

Jeff

Oh, I forgot to mention that he did all his scrimshaw with a half broken off blade on a little pocket knife.  I watched him do it.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 04:11:23 AM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 04:24:25 PM »
Jeff, do you know if he signed his horns and if so, how were they signed. I'm thinking there might be a horn to go with the Plybon rifle. The rifle and other stuff is part of an estate and I was told that there are a dozen or more bags and horns, but I haven't gotten to see any of them.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
He normally signed JDP then sometimes a number.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:28:51 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 05:26:04 PM »
Thanks Wayne. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one.

Offline Hawken62_flint

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 09:46:57 PM »
BTW, that is a nice horn. I can only hope I might find one. The rifle I've located was a special order, so he may have ordered a horn also. Won't know till I get to look at this fellow's bags and horns. Thanks again for all the info.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 12:03:34 AM »
He normally signed JDP then sometimes a number.

Yeah, what he said...
Mine are signed the same way.
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell