Author Topic: Murphys Oil Soap  (Read 6408 times)

old dog

Murphys Oil Soap
« on: September 15, 2020, 07:07:02 PM »
Thoughts on Murphy's Oil Soap for a lube.
Old Dog

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Murphys Oil Soap
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »
When I make up my winter patch lube, I take an (empty) whiskey bottle and fill it to within a few inches of the top with Winter Weight Windshield antifreeze (-40 C), add a couple ounces of neatsfoot oil, and a couple ounces of Murphy's Oil Soap.  The concoction does not emulsify, but I shake it up each time I want to use it.  This lube is slippery as moose snot. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Maven

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 07:45:34 PM »
Taylor's lube is so good I wouldn't bother with Murphy's Oil Soap.  However, if you want to experiment, you could mix up a small batch at 1 part MOS : 6 or 7 parts water.  Btw, Dixie Gun Works used to sell a patch lube that smelled exactly like MOS (because that's what it was?).
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »
I just use the Neetsfoot Oil and WinterWWFluid - no soap.  I like the blue coloured fluid - it shoots better. ;)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 12:18:40 AM »
"This lube is slippery as moose snot."

What a Canadian!    LOL    ;)  Moose are scarce here in the northern Carolina, so I'll take your word for it. 

Offline recurve

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 02:23:54 AM »
Look up Herb he uses it with alcohol .   

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 03:16:11 AM »
I noticed that one of the purpose made lubes smells like that institutional amber liquid hand soap.  So I tried MOS straight.  I refilled the squeeze bottle with MOS and proceeded as usual.

I put some on the patches I will need for a match.  I wring out the shooting patches in mass for consistency.  They load easy and I win matches.  IF anything from spit to whale oil is sufficient, it makes sense that MOS works too.  I bet dish soap, or liquid hand soap would work the same. 

I also saturate the cleaning patches at the beginning of the match and wring them out.  IT cleans the rifle fine.   

Patch lube seems to be very non critical, just use something and it works out.  My only gripe with liquid soap is that it make the balls very slippery and easy to fumble. 

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 03:50:11 AM »
I use beeswax and animal fats.

I’m period, and have NEVER tried any modern junk that works as good.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 05:32:51 AM »
I use beeswax and animal fats.

I’m period, and have NEVER tried any modern junk that works as good.

Cut the beeswax out and the animal fats will work just as good. Haven't been a fan of beeswax lubes for front stuffers since my musket shooting days.
Psalms 144

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 09:16:51 AM »
Me neither, Clark.  Here, in the late fall and winter, anything with beeswax in it, gets too hard for a patch lube.
Other climates may differ. I've seen good results with bullet lubes having beeswax, even in the front stuffer, but
not as a patch lube.
Daryl

Hessian

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 03:06:08 PM »
I use deer tallow. Works fine.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »
Liquid soap is liquid soap as far as I'm concerned.  There's no "oil" in MOS.  The oil is what they saponify with lye to make soap. It's consumed in that process.

I've not used any soaps, nor beeswax for lube, so defer to those other opinions offered here.
Hold to the Wind

old dog

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 08:11:28 PM »
Surprised I didn't see any comments on "Bar Grease".  A builder/shooter whom I have a great deal of respect for uses crisco oil.  Aint no way anyone could talk him out of it, no way.  Guess with the MOS I feel like I'm lubing and cleaning the barrel at the same time.  Love all the responses.
Old Dog

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 09:47:06 PM »
 O.K. This is a test RIGHT!!! Just to see if I can straighten all of you out in one response. Murphy’s oil soap has all kind of stuff in it that don’t belong in your gun, and can cause crusty build ups at the breech. Bee’s wax Polymerizes at low temperatures and can also leave deposits in the breech that are hard to remove. Crisco has such a low flash point that in hot dry weather its like shooting a flamethrower. I recommend venison, or mutton tallow, or better yet bear grease.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »
Bear grease.

Offline recurve

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 09:54:06 PM »
Mutton tallow

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 09:57:24 PM »
Surprised I didn't see any comments on "Bar Grease"  ...
Old Dog

You didn't ask what I use. 

Fats of animals: bear grease thickened with tallow is my hunting lube.
Hold to the Wind

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 10:58:58 PM »
I wouldn't use bacon grease unless you want to season your iron skillet.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 11:22:04 PM »
B ear oil and Tracks mink oil, 50/50.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 12:51:04 AM »
I have both bear's oil and bear grease (somewhat thicker and white) that melts instantly with the touch of a finger.
I still haven't shot any since getting this a few years ago. Guess I should try it. I used up almost a gallon of it as
patch lube back in the 70's, that is, except for the dollop my wife used for pie crusts when she was out of shortening.
Best pie crusts she ever made.
Daryl

old dog

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 06:06:54 AM »
It looks like some form of animal fat takes the prize.  You wipe with the same thing?  Clean with water?
OD

Offline Not English

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 06:26:07 AM »
The only thing I use MOS for is cleaning. But I'll sure second Wade's recommendation regarding bear grease and tallow. I have not ever had a problem with it here in Wi. winters.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2020, 07:06:20 AM »
It looks like some form of animal fat takes the prize.  You wipe with the same thing?  Clean with water?
OD

I clean with water, then dry, then flush with WD40, then patch/blast the excess out the vent or nipple seat, then wipe it down and reassemble the rifle.
I remove all barrels for cleaning, always have.  I have not super fragile or bendable tangs.  The Average humidity here is 50%, so nothing more than WD40
is needed for storage - rifles are stored muzzle down after cleaning so there is no buildup in the breech area of oil from the barrel. What is there, drains
out the muzzle onto the 2x4 base of the rack.
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 03:25:45 PM »
OD

Lots of us load such that we don't wipe at all.  Yes water, tepid only, is the ideal solution for black powder residues.

As far as "prize" goes, you'll find two dozen more "recipes" being promoted if you look around a little bit. Patch lube discussion always brings a crowd and everything has been tried, and folks are always trying "something new".  Some folks use the same lube for every occasion and others use something different for targets and hunting.  Target lubes are often water-based (not there long enough for any problem) whereas hunting lubes should not contain water. Saliva is a popular targets/plinking lube.  But know that each different lube may affect POI, so it's important to know which goes where if using different lubes. 

As to cleaning, I've never pulled a barrel to clean and don't plan on it (here in long-tang alley). I use tow and a hook/worm for the cleaning process rather than any cloth patching.  Then water-displacing #40, and tipped on end as Daryl speaks of above.  Enjoy the process.
Hold to the Wind

old dog

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »
Ya gota respect a man who stands by his lube.
OD