Author Topic: Messed up ....  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Scota4570

Messed up ....
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:20:32 AM »
I am a bit distracted today.  Now I have two  holes to fill.  What is the best strategy? 

My initial idea is to get the stock to final dimensions. Turn a cross grain toothpick from  the same wood.  Then glue and drive it in  place.  Carpenters glue. 

I tried a dutchman on another mistake and it shows.  This wood has considerable figure so a large patch will not match the fiddleback.   Perhaps, in the future, make fake pins, and epoxy the thimble in place??

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:40:26 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline Don Stith

Re: Dog on it!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:33:59 AM »
I recommend a narrow cat eye shaped inlay from matching wood

Offline FALout

Re: Messed up ....
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 03:21:01 AM »
If you would have just acraglassed the barrel in place, you wouldn’t need those little pins.  Just kidding.  Things happen even with the best laid plans.  Few years ago I built a trade rifle that I Was trying really hard to copy from a book, it required a third lock bolt at the very end of the lock plate.  I got that okay but thought old Murphy’s law would strike.  I’ve had a few mistakes while building through the years.  In this case, I’d stain dark to hide the patch jobs.
Bob
Bob

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 03:58:46 AM »
Scott, you’ve got the right idea. If you keep the grain right, it will disappear.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 03:22:31 PM »
I like Don's suggestion. In fact you could paint the Dutch to look like a tiny knot. I'll have to keep that in the the back of my head for future use.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »
However you fill the extra hole, when you are staining the wood, take a black felt marker and draw a little vertical line through the plugged hole and go ahead and finish the wood.  The plug will be virtually invisible...trick I learned from a full time gunsmith, part time dentist that we haven't heard from for a very long time.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 09:21:18 PM »
Guys,

This has also happened to me.  I just designed the forestock molding groove to pass directly through the misplaced hole.  After staining it was nearly invisible.

Jim