Author Topic: What Have We Here?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
What Have We Here?
« on: September 18, 2020, 06:48:07 PM »
Here are some pictures of a gun that I am posting for a friend.  His inlaws acquired the rifle from a relative, who found it in the attic of a house in South Dakota.  The family would like to know where it was likely made, when and by whom.

The percussion lock is marked "C. Bird & Co., PHILAD," which I believe is a well-known hardware company that put its name on locks imported for retail sale.  There is no groove cut for a flintcock spur, so the rifle appears to have been built as a caplock.  However, the lock does not fit the mortise nor does the hammer come down squarely on the nipple, which suggests the lock may be a replacement.

There are no names or other identifying marks on the outside of the gun.  The barrel has not been removed for inspection and the patchbox cannot now be opened.  It appears that a wood screw occupies the space in the toeplate where a patchbox release button might have been located.

It is a sturdy piece weighing about 8 1/2 pounds (bathroom scale).  The barrel is 50 caliber, rifled with seven grooves and seven wide lands.  The face of the muzzle is decorated with punch marks.

The set triggers are really nicely done.  The patchbox design is a bit unusual.  The ramrod is tapered without metal tips at either end.  There is a clear break in the lock region at the front triggerguard pin.  The tang is also broken at that location.  However, the gun appears to be stable.

Your comments or questions are welcomed.  Although I do not have possession of the gun, it is only a few blocks away, so I can probably get access to it if further inspection is required.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: What Have We Here?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 01:48:34 AM »
A late Huntington County Rifle.

Buck

Offline Kittleson

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:37:19 AM »
PM sent

Offline Bill Madden

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 06:37:05 PM »
Buck, I think you have nailed it! This rifle closely resembles the Huntingdon County rifles on display in the Miller Library. Any guess as to a possible maker?
Bill

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
Bill,

I’ve owned 1 so I’m not well educated in the Huntington School. I recognize the details - trigger, trigger guard, etc. when I get a moment I’ll reference some of the literature I have and follow up. It’s a nice rifle - thanks for sharing.

Buck