Author Topic: What’s the secret to Efficiently inletting an Allentown butt plate?  (Read 5035 times)

Offline J. Talbert

I’ve been slowly walking in the heel extension on the Allentown BP in order to bring the lower portion of it into contact, but it is painstakingly sloooooowwwww.
It’s no doubt too late for any different approach on this one but who’s got a clever trick to speed up this process???

free image hosting website

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: What’s the secret to Efficiently inletting an Allentown butt plate?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »
I’d get rid of about 90% of the extra wood. Roughly shape the buttstock. Then you won’t be working in a huge hole.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 08:49:31 PM »
Rich is right!  Cut away most of the stock's wood down to the butt plate and it'll go much faster.  Here's an example:  Brian's rifle from last winter...

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 10:04:25 PM »
Thanks Rich & Taylor.  I hear you about the excess wood, but I haven’t even gotten to the curvature of the bulk of the plate.  What I’m dealing with right now are the side to side taper on the heel and the radius at the transition from the heel to the face.  I guess I’m just to wimpy, but the slivers I’ve removing from the side walls and the top of the radius are moving the BP forward ever so slowly.

Thanks,
Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 10:30:53 PM »
Pass the popcorn, please.  8) I'm watching to see how this is resolved. Butt plates are my enemy.
Eric Smith

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 10:50:53 PM »
Pass the popcorn, please.  8) I'm watching to see how this is resolved. Butt plates are my enemy.
Ha!!! Buttplates should be your friend, especially the brass ones! Entry pipes should be your enemy!!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 10:58:58 PM »
If you get rid of the excess wood you will likely find it goes much faster.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 12:23:47 AM »
Ha!!! Buttplates should be your friend, especially the brass ones! Entry pipes should be your enemy!!!!

I agree with Stoner Creek, always enjoyed inletting a buttplate, crazy I guess, hate entry pipes and even though easy to do I don't like thimbles either.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 12:44:02 AM »
Keep on keeping on. Use some sort of inletting black to show you where to remove wood.  It’s slow going  at this point but will finally fit.  Keep an eye on your comb line.

Offline martin9

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 12:50:27 AM »
I feel this is related enough not to start another topic....anyone have any tricks for inletting a long, intricate comb buttplate, like a Jaeger?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 01:33:08 AM »
The bottom line with this and every other aspect of building muzzleloading guns, is there is no short cuts or tricks...just tedious work that little by little gets to the end.  Just a little hard love here...what's your hurry?  Enjoy the journey!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline martin9

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 01:43:10 AM »
That's what I figured. I've done 2 that required a long section of intricate inletting. Both took me nearly all day. Satisfying when they finally fit right though.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2020, 02:23:12 AM »
I feel this is related enough not to start another topic....anyone have any tricks for inletting a long, intricate comb buttplate, like a Jaeger?

I believe David Rase demo’d this. Main thing is getting comb area shaped and setting things up so you can inlet the buttplate straight down. That’s what I did on current build.

Andover, Vermont

Offline martin9

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 04:28:00 AM »
That makes sense and is what I was thinking on this one....without really knowing it:>)  I'm planning on getting the comb contour right then working at the comb/butt transition area so the plate sits close to flat on top and back then inletting straight down.  Thank goodness the butt is flat, don't think I could wrap my brain around this if the buttplate had a lot of curve in it.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 08:06:38 AM »
The secret is to enjoy the time that you spend working on it. I turn on a good audiobook and don't care one bit about how long it takes.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2020, 08:48:06 AM »
That makes sense and is what I was thinking on this one....without really knowing it:>)  I'm planning on getting the comb contour right then working at the comb/butt transition area so the plate sits close to flat on top and back then inletting straight down.  Thank goodness the butt is flat, don't think I could wrap my brain around this if the buttplate had a lot of curve in it.

Listen to the experts but,  I don’t know that your method will work.  If you inlet that buttplate completely in and then start going down,  your going to open up a gap in the lower of the curve.  Similar to a lollipop tang.  I’ve inlet three of these Allentown buttplates and always inlet them flush as possible with the comb line and then go forward.  If you look at Taylor’s picture and you inlet that buttplate down,  it would open a gap. Hope that makes sense.

Offline martin9

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2020, 12:27:19 PM »
I see what you mean, I think I can picture it and do it much better than explain it. I won't have the butt completely inlet. Not inlet at all actually. What I'm looking for is a good starting profile where the butt portion is as close as possible to the contour it will need after the comb is inlet. My first one I made a little template from scrap wood I could slide up and down the butt to get it as close as I could.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
I’ve been slowly walking in the heel extension on the Allentown BP in order to bring the lower portion of it into contact, but it is painstakingly sloooooowwwww.
It’s no doubt too late for any different approach on this one but who’s got a clever trick to speed up this process???

free image hosting website

Jeff
Straight down then forward. Next time You needed to start your straight down a little closer to where you wanted to end up. You might knock off those walls on either side of the front finial to make access a little easier. I envision where the part needs to go then rapidly remove would to get it to that spot, but I've been doing this a while.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 04:08:14 PM »
Mike, you confirmed what I suspected.  Straight down, then forward is what I have done.  It was my lack of confidence in envisioning where the top will ultimately end up that caused my initial bite to be much smaller than it could have been and thus my frustration with the excessive distance left to move forward.

Thanks
Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 08:44:10 PM »
Looks like you’re down far enough.  Now head forward, but make sure to maintain that top profile as you do.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline J. Talbert

Re: What’s the secret to Efficiently inletting an Allentown butt plate?hb
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »
Thanks all.  I’m good with the overall process.
Efficiently being the operative word in the original post. ;D

Jeff
Thomas Sowell

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2020, 01:34:09 AM »
Some times you just have to gut it out.  There’s just no EASY way.
I hate buttplate sand entry pipes.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »
I made extra wood mistake ONCE, not knowing better I proceeded, it took me a month to inlet this buttplate, one tiny chip at a time. Again not knowing better I matched the inside curvature of the buttplate to the wood, this at least doubled my inletting time.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 05:16:32 AM »
I never could understand Lehigh buttplates.  Some have a step on the sides of the tang, those I understand, but the ones that just curve right on over..... how are those inlet without ending up with wood feathering out to nothing on either side of the tang???  Boggles my mind.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 05:51:12 AM »
It feathers out pretty thin.  The corner area is an easy spot to mess up.