Author Topic: Springfield Model 1816 Flintlock Musket Type II  (Read 1264 times)

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
Springfield Model 1816 Flintlock Musket Type II
« on: September 19, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »
US Model 1816 Flintlock Muskets dated 1823 through 1832 are called Type II Muskets. More of this type were made than the Type I and Type III. More Type II muskets have survived in their original flintlock configuration than surviving Type I and Type III combined.

Per Ordnance Department specification, all of their iron components, except their ramrods, had what modern day collectors call the National Armory Brown finish. All of the external lock components, except the battery(frizzen) spring, including the lockplate  had a color case hardened finish. Internal lock components, bridler, tumbler, sear and all screws had a heat blue finish. The mainspring and sear spring were polished bright.

In 1828, the triggerguard bow was redesigned to have a full radius boss to which the rear slingswivel was riveted. Additionally, the Guard Bow is now riveted to the Guard Plate.

For more detailed info on Model 1816 muskets and photos see my article in Man at Arms Magazine Vol 42 #4 August 2020 or pages 68 through 100 of my book kindly posted by Dennis Glazener in the Recent Books section of this forum in August 2019.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 02:24:11 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Springfield Model 1816 Flintlock Musket Type II
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 08:03:57 PM »
I wonder if the Type II being browned is the reason why they are more readily found unaltered.
Psalms 144

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
Re: Springfield Model 1816 Flintlock Musket Type II
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 11:27:34 PM »
Clark---That is a great point, that coupled with the sheer numbers of the Type II.

Interestingly, there was a problem with the browned finish when they were percussion altered per the following letter dated Oct 1849 to Gen. George Talcott of the Ordnance Dept,

Watertown Arsenal
                                                                                                     October 12, 1849

General George Talcott
U.S. Corps of Ord.

Sir,  I have the honor to report that in forming the Cone Seat in Percussioning Muskets, the browning becomes so much defaced
as to render it needful to re-brown the barrels; but to do this and make good work, it will be necessary to brighten the entire barrel-
And as the process of browning requires experienced men-both in application and workmanship, and is a dirty operation,
I respectfully recommend that the alterations may be finished by polishing the parts & may have to brighten.

Respectfully I am Sir
Your Obet. Servt
W.A. Thorton
Br. Mr.
Commanding Arsenal

The photos below illustrates to what Thorton was referring to in his letter. Other than the lack of finish around the nipple, this particular 1823 dated Springfield is in near mint condition win all of the original dark brown finish on the barrel.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 12:11:34 AM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964