Author Topic: Savannah, GA supply horn...  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Collector

Savannah, GA supply horn...
« on: September 20, 2020, 05:07:29 AM »
Came to me through a dealer who acquired it from a local picker who worked the local environs.  It remains as found, well cared for and without any bug damage whatsoever.  Attributed to 18c. due to script style of the inscribed upper case letters 'W x A' on the horns surface. 

It's a large horn that was probably used as a supply horn.  The body of the horn retains and exhibits the makers shaping and scraping marks.  The plug is handmade from a piece of old growth heart pine and is secured with small handmade iron pins/nails.  Care was taken in its fitting, as even today if a little beeswax is added to the plug seam, it becomes air-tight.

It's what I'd call a 'country' horn, made by a common man, for his own purposes.   

Photos in no particular order:

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Savannah, GA supply horn...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 04:42:50 PM »
 I would say that the size of the hole in the spout end would indicate either a large caliber rifle, or a big smoothbore. In either case, a horn this large would not be out of character.

Hungry Horse

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 07:20:19 PM »
Collector, Thank you for posting this BIG horn. I always enjoy looking at these old things. 
JIM

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:01:57 AM »
Hungry Horse and jdm,  Thanks for your comments.  The 'holes' in the butt plug have absolutely no depth and look like someone with no particular purpose in mind, spun a small pointed blade on the wood surface and then just stopped.  I can't find my notes on it's dimensions, but it would definitely store a goodly quantity of BP. 

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 05:43:28 AM »
Pulled a few thing out of storage for some routine maintenance.

This horn measures 20-1/2 inches along the outside curve and the heart pine plug measures 3-0 inches across.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 05:55:10 AM by Collector »