Author Topic: Double Bags?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Double Bags?
« on: September 20, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »
What is the origin of the double bag hunting pouch? It seems it would be useful with a Fowler or smooth rifle where several different components are carried at once. Is there a specific time period and region these were used? I would like to own one someday but first would enjoy learning of them and where they came from.

-Panzer

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Double Bags?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 11:38:47 PM »
Double or triple bags go back to at least medieval period. A fowling piece IMO takes less components or no more than a rifle unless one is shooting the more modern components and likes to have separate pockets for the various wads and card combinations.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 04:34:58 PM »
Don't know the origin but do use one. I put most of the components in one side and a flat horn and capper in the other. Eliminates the hanging horn and gives more than enough shots for a typical day in the woods.
Mark

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 05:16:17 AM »
I use one for the reasons described above for my smooth barreled guns. I carry everything loose in the bottom of my hunting pouch and find for a Smoothbore a double works well as I carry the makings for both shot or RB. They are handy.