Author Topic: Origin & Info  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Origin & Info
« on: September 20, 2020, 09:12:31 PM »
Any information on this old piece will be appreciated. No marks on the lock or barrel.  45 inch oct to round ,  smooth bore, swamped, narrowest point 10 inches from muzzle.  Muzzle ID about 5/8.  widest part of butt plate is 1 3/4 inch.  I think it is plain, non figured Maple, but not sure.  Thanks

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:20:36 PM by Avlrc »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Origin & Info
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »
Looks straight up Lancaster. Early guard, very nice. The lack of a sideplate and the little side nail inlays seems later than the rest of the gun which looks 1770-1790 to me. Interested in what others see. Going to look up that tang carving as it looks familiar.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 10:04:50 PM »
Ok the tang carving looks like Dickert 67, Gonter 69, and unsigned #70 in Shumway’s Rifles of Colonial America volume 1.
Andover, Vermont

Offline far55

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 10:24:21 PM »
Hole in guard for sling swivel may indicate wartime use or later militia use, that curved lock plate looks early to me. Those long pointed side panels remind me of something I have seen in one of my books, possibly RCA 2. I''ll have to go pull it out and look.  Roland

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 11:13:05 PM »
Great, thanks for all the info.  Here is a couple better images of tang carving.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 12:48:42 AM »
It’s a good early gun for sure. If it had been around way back when I bet Shumway would have written it up.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 01:09:33 AM »
Hi,
I believe the lock is English, probably an import.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 04:01:07 AM »
Very nice find!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline homerifle

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
Mark that's a real good early piece! Love the carving.  Thanks for posting it.

Offline far55

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 09:05:54 PM »
Well, I looked through a couple of my books, but did not find the one I thought I remembered  seeing.  Roland

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 01:21:18 AM »
In  the last picture I posted you can see what appear to be two wooden plugs.  It almost looks like he was trying to fill/terminate  the carved channels, to make those triangle marks. If that makes any sense.  There isn't anything  broke that needed pinned.

I knew the gun was early but did not really know it could be a Dickert or Gonter.  Looking in Shumway's book, the carving looks very close to Gonter.  But still puzzled about those long sharp side panels.

Thanks for all the info.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 01:31:33 AM »
Are you sure those are "plugs" and not just part of the caving, with some age splitting on one edge of either "plug."? To me it looks like he terminated his channel, and then did his first triangular chip cut above it, of which there are three on each side. You might be interpreting his first triangular chip cut as the "end" of his channel, when the channel actually ended at the "plug" detail. It's a great rifle, and the kind that generates a lot of interest in figuring out who the most likely maker was. I am glad to see such a significant rifle posted. Shelby Gallien

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 02:03:59 AM »
Are you sure those are "plugs" and not just part of the caving, with some age splitting on one edge of either "plug."? To me it looks like he terminated his channel, and then did his first triangular chip cut above it, of which there are three on each side. You might be interpreting his first triangular chip cut as the "end" of his channel, when the channel actually ended at the "plug" detail. It's a great rifle, and the kind that generates a lot of interest in figuring out who the most likely maker was. I am glad to see such a significant rifle posted. Shelby Gallien

you may be right,  I never even noticed them until I looked at that last photo.  ( poor eyes)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 02:47:55 AM »
Gonter #69 in RCA volume 1 has long lock panel tails.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 03:18:37 AM »
More pics

Offline FALout

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 03:18:50 AM »
Just a guess, maybe the lock/side panels were narrowed when converted to percussion and those triangle pieces replace a lost or damaged side plate
Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 06:15:16 AM »
Terrific guard.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »
The triangular “chips” are a detail that Beck and Beyer used with frequency. The Angstadt clan also, but obviously not of that school. Gonters carving didn’t flow like the carving on this rifle.

Nice piece - thanks for sharing.

Buck

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 05:15:36 PM »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 06:44:32 PM »
That's a terrific find.  I don't think overall it's nearly as early as the guard, which I'm sure is secondary usage as well as possibly the pipes, but it certainly could date to the War-era and represent a utility piece made for immediate need.  Too bad the lock is missing so many exterior components which would better help to date the lock as well as point toward origin.  The carving is spectacular and whoever stocked and briefly carved this rifle sure knew what he was doing.

It's possible the little teardrop bolt escutcheons are original, or possibly could have been added later to cover bolt wear.  I have no way of knowing, just mention it to illustrate that I would not use those in any way for dating or location.

Given the shape of the lock plate, it looks to my eye that the lock side lock panel is not nearly as "straight swept" along the top edge as the side plate side panel.  I see this on a lot of rifles - I have no explanation for it other than that (1) it's faster when roughing out the stock and (2) you can't view both sides at the same time so it's not nearly as important to perfectly match both panels as would be considered today.  The important symmetry is viewed from top or bottom where you actually can see both sides.  The lion and lamb rifle is also as well known example of being stocked like this, much more straight-swept along the top edge on the sideplate side than on lock side.

Could have been made anywhere, really, and I think the best characteristic to attempt to use for attribution is matching up that tang carving.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 06:47:32 PM »
Is there actually a forward lug on the barrel/forestock anywhere for a sling hanger?  I see holes but can't tell whether they're just pin holes or if there actually is a hanger hole to match that on the guard.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »
Is there actually a forward lug on the barrel/forestock anywhere for a sling hanger?  I see holes but can't tell whether they're just pin holes or if there actually is a hanger hole to match that on the guard.

Ok, the front, close to the muzzle,  10 inches of wood looks like it could of been replaced 200 years ago.   It may have came from another rifle.  Funny  rest of the wood in the stock is pretty good.   That piece has a short pipe not original to gun.   That piece is chewed up bad, could of been some kind of sling attachment to it.   No, the barrel does not have anything that would support a sling.  The most chewed up part of the replaced wood is 8 inches from muzzle, that seems too close to muzzle for a sling attachment to me.  The 4 stock fasteners thingy's on the barrel are all in the original place and have not been ,moved.   Could there have been a front sling attachment utilizing  one of the barrel fasteners?   Maybe it never did have a sling.

I don't want to take the lock bolts back out, but awhile back I did.   My friend who looked at it , said that he did not think those brass washers were original to the gun, as he could see ghost marks of the bolt heads.   Hey guys thanks for all the info.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:35:30 PM by Avlrc »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 12:07:55 AM »
Not to hijack, but I want to make that guard. Thinking this could be the starting point. I think I need to move the rear curl of the bow forward 3/8” to get bow to grip rail proportions right. Then craft and silver solder new front and rear extensions on.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:24:29 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 02:27:27 AM »
Not to hijack, but I want to make that guard. Thinking this could be the starting point. I think I need to move the rear curl of the bow forward 3/8” to get bow to grip rail proportions right. Then craft and silver solder new front and rear extensions on.

That's  cool , will try to get you some better pics if you need them.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 04:14:35 PM »
If you sent me the original guard I could make castings of it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?