Author Topic: Christmas flat horn  (Read 1682 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Christmas flat horn
« on: September 19, 2020, 04:13:43 PM »
One Christmas morning about thirty years ago  the stockings were hung by the chimney with care. When I awoke and looked inside this is what I found.   The screw tip is also a powder measure . This little horn will always have special meaning for me.  I hope you enjoy looking.   Jim

JIM

Offline louieparker

Re: Christmas flat horn
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 04:24:32 PM »
Jim that's a very good looking pressed horn.. Don't think I have  seen another in screw tip.  LP

Offline Kevin

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 12:03:08 AM »
Jim,

Thanks for sharing the photos of this horn.  The cap instead of a plug arrangement is very neat.

Kevin

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 03:02:52 AM »
Great piece, Jim. Thanks for posting
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 04:10:51 AM »
One of the neatest little flat horns I think that I have ever seen. Thank you for putting it down on the table here to be looked at, Jim.
Dick

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 06:55:07 PM »
Thank you all for the comments. I was a lucky guy that Christmas . In a future Christmas I imagine it will show up in another stocking in the family.

Louie , I  remember seeing another screw tip flat horn before . This is the only one I've seen where the tip is a measure . I suspect  there are more out there somewhere.
JIM

Offline Collector

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 05:17:57 AM »
Your paving stones are the perfect background for your collection.  The simple convex 'line' borders make for well designed, uncomplicated and uncluttered panels on this horn.  I'm no student, but for some reason, I always associate a Scandinavian origin to these flat horns that incorporate a measure into the horn design.  Visually clean and not overdone.  Compliments anything near to it.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 06:54:31 PM »
Collector I agree with you . I believe this horn is not a made in the U.S.A. product. One other thing that is unusual, at least to me. The but plug is horn also.

JIM

Offline Collector

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 09:40:22 PM »
jdm, Close tolerance and fine work for the period, with the lid color exactly matching the body of the horn.  Horn lid laminated to a piece of hardwood, I assume. 

We appreciate these items today, for the characteristics and blending of their form and  artistry, when in most cases they were the wares of a craftsman who made them for a living and had to differentiate themselves from others in the trade. 

Still, every time I see a hint of those paving stones, I know we're about to be shown something special. 

Offline old george

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 07:41:29 PM »
That's a fine flattie especially with the screw tip. That was a great Xmas gift indeed.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »
It's good to know others  appreciate these old things also. They help bring a closer connection to history of our past.
 Collector , The paving stones are in the area  that offers the best light for pictures here. They do get kind of busy sometimes especially with long guns.  I have been trying to make a list and  photographic record of some of these items so the kids wont think they are all garage  sale junk.
JIM